PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate guide to tactical pants

HK45
05-18-10, 14:09
http://tacticalpants.com/tactical-pants-guide

Just saw this on another site. Haven't read it all myself yet.

subzero
05-18-10, 17:01
I will use this opportunity to beg Woolrich or any other gear maker to bring back the Discreet pant (model 44434) without the fruity hidden pocket on the outer seam. I have like 9 pairs of these and as they wear out I have nothing to replace them with that doesn't scream Tactical Ted.

I don't want 10 pockets up and down my legs, fellas. I'm trying to blend in with the rest of the khaki pants crowd. The current Discreet pant is ok, but I can't be the only person who finds the outer seam pocket nearly useless. I think they'd be more comfortable without them.

JackOSU
05-18-10, 17:36
I will use this opportunity to beg Woolrich or any other gear maker to bring back the Discreet pant (model 44434) without the fruity hidden pocket on the outer seam. I have like 9 pairs of these and as they wear out I have nothing to replace them with that doesn't scream Tactical Ted.

I don't want 10 pockets up and down my legs, fellas. I'm trying to blend in with the rest of the khaki pants crowd. The current Discreet pant is ok, but I can't be the only person who finds the outer seam pocket nearly useless. I think they'd be more comfortable without them.

Take a look at the EOTAC discrete pants if you want them to look plain. I'm a big fan of the Vertx pants myself for they don't SCREAM man with a gun really.

anchor
06-20-10, 08:37
look great big$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ where do sell in states?:)

rob_s
06-20-10, 09:40

What size are you? I hate the ones I have, but I'm not sure if I have one or two pairs, and I'd have to check on the sizing.

DJK
06-20-10, 09:47
What size are you? I hate the ones I have, but I'm not sure if I have one or two pairs, and I'd have to check on the sizing.

Rob - what don't you like about them?

rob_s
06-20-10, 09:51
Rob - what don't you like about them?

I think the idea that they are "discrete" is nonsense. Unless your idea of "discrete" is looking like you got dressed in a home. They still have the huge scoop pockets in the back, and the elastic waistband looks ridiculous. While they may not scream "tactical", if you normally dress like a non-challenged adult they attract all kinds of attention because they look silly.

The Vertx pants have cargo pockets and are more "discrete", meaning attract less attention, in my experience wearing both at work and around town.

JChops
06-20-10, 10:44
Great review and comparison there of some of the popular brands.

Interesting that they chose to include Kitanica but left out TAD Gear and Arc'teryx.

The TAD Gear Force 10 Rip-Stop Spartans are great pants although a bit overpriced. I do like that they come unhemmed so you can get the length just perfect to your liking. For someone very tall like myself, this is a nice option. (I prefer the Spartans to the Cargo versions as they fit me better with less bagginess and flop.)

http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=860

They also left out the Arc'teryx Combat pants (which is much more understandable considering their unbelievable MSRP). Unlike the TADs, you'll need to sell your car, one of your kidneys, and take out a home equity loan to own a pair.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Combat-Pant

Looey
06-20-10, 11:27
In the summer i use a set of The North Face light pants (Men's Horizon Peak surplus pants), but I have more set's of pants from them that work really good in all weather conditions.
http://www.altrec.com/the-north-face/mens-horizon-peak-surplus-pant
they are definitely rugged but very comfortable, even in 110 degree weather.
I am using them now in Afghanistan and they don't scream out 5-11, but no rips like i have had with 5-11 stuff. they are a lot lighter than many other pants out there, and are reasonably priced in comparison with all other manufacturers prices. they have a hidden pocket with a sipper to stow emergency cash or documents, when i go out on vacation or hanging out with the girl.

I also use this pants on a day to day basis at home, because they look like regular slacks and don't attract to much attention even to the trained eye.
I started looking at other manufacturers after seeing how many people you can spot by just looking at attire, I will consider all of this manufactures for some good clothing:
The North Face
mountain hard wear
Arcterix
Columbia, etc.
they are a lot more discreet, very durable, but a lot more comfortable.
Something to pay attention to is the size of the belt loops in their pants, make sure you can use the type of belt that normally wear on the pants you might think about getting.

anchor
06-20-10, 12:28
just looked at the arcteryx WOW i will buy ammo fr that price!!!!!!!!!

militarymoron
06-20-10, 13:29
just wanted to point out that the arc'teryx combat pant is a water-resistant soft-shell pant made of tweave durastretch. as far as price goes, it's in the soft shell pants category, not regular everyday cotton/nyco pant category. tweave fabric costs at least 4 times as much as NYCO per yard.

Belmont31R
06-20-10, 13:51
Ive tried a few brands of tactical pants, and don't like any of them.

Now I wear typical "hiking" type pants from REI. I like Kuhl, North Face, Arcteryx, etc. I can't stand the tactical pants taking the pockets from rock climbing attire. Why do I need a carabiner strap on my pants? Then those HUGE back pockets so my wallet is sitting half way down my leg. Regular pockets, please!

Every tactical pant Ive tried fit like shit. I guess they don't make them for athletic types which most clothes are not. They are built for the typical overweight body type in cut no matter what size you get. I wear a 34x34. One reason I rarely wear button up shirts is because they are all cut for fatties. The shoulders will fit, and then the body is ginormous. Looks like Im a little kid wearing my dads clothes. I also wear a 34/35 sleeve length, and Ive yet to find a non-custom fit shirt that fits in the body, and sleeve length. If they are not fitted the sleeves fall about 2-3" from my wrist. Im coming to believe mens clothing is mostly cut for 5'8" 250 lb'ers.

Moose-Knuckle
06-22-10, 11:52
A few of you have hit on what I do as well.

If your frequent outdoor sporting good stores and or websites you can always find good deals on high end gear usually out of season. Just last week I bought a pair of kaki North Face cargo pants for $25 at my local Sports Authority on 50% clearance.

dojpros
06-22-10, 12:24
I have found the Wrangler cargo and carpenter pant offerings of Walmart/Target at 18ish per pant to be the absolute intersection of quality and value. Both styles are substainly less "Tactical Teddy" than any scoop pocketed pant.

YMMV Greatly,

David of vcdgrips.com

TomMcC
06-22-10, 16:12
I have found the Wrangler cargo and carpenter pant offerings of Walmart/Target at 18ish per pant to be the absolute intersection of quality and value. Both styles are substainly less "Tactical Teddy" than any scoop pocketed pant.

YMMV Greatly,

David of vcdgrips.com

Yep, this is what I do. I think the guys at Magpul actually wore them once!!!!