PDA

View Full Version : Should a web sling be utilized on a non FF ar15?

Knife_Sniper
05-18-10, 14:58
So I hear all the time about web slings on a non free floated barrel and how they cause POI shifts as the rifle heats up due to the downward torque on the barrel.

When teaching new shooters how to shoot at 25 and 50 (max 100) how much will a properly utilized sling impact groupings at these ranges?

Thanks!

OTO27
05-18-10, 17:25
I shoot with a sling religiously, gives me a way to transition to my pistol if I have to. Most of the shooting I do is 0-100 yards, I have never noticed any decrease in accuracy at these ranges while using a sling. I have a ff barrel, but my sling is still attached to the stock side sling swivel which is attached to the barrel on the 6920. I have done some no sling shooting to proove this. Note, I have not actually sat down on a bench and tested this to fractions of an inch, but as far as hits that counts, it has made no difference to me. If you are making really long range shots wether in a field situtation or the range yo will probably be behind cover or on a bench were you can support your rifle with for stability.In a case like this just dont use a sling or if you have a vtac, give it all the slack and that should solve any "distortion" cause by the stress from the sling. But anything under 100, I wouldnt worry about.