PDA

View Full Version : IWB Kydex: Talon Tactical vs. Comp-TAC?

SpookyPistolero
05-18-10, 17:05
Howdy folks-

The only quality kydex IWB I have is the C-tac by Comptac. It's a great holster, it's for my 1911. I'd like to get another for my XD (or maybe for a G19 if I can find one at a good price...).

Talon Tactical just popped up on my radar however, and is a bit cheaper. I like the looks of their 'Georgia Heat' model. Does anyone have experience with this maker/model? Or experience with both brands?

Thanks for your thoughts-

Bulldog7972
05-19-10, 08:01
I'd go with the Comp Tac Infidel. It appears to be a much better holster. Plus, I love the name,lol.

Rosco Benson
05-19-10, 11:30
Both make nice holsters. Comp-Tac is a higher volume outfit. Talon Tactical is more made to order.

Talon Tactical has a better paddle design for paddle holsters than Comp-Tac or just about anyone else (RM Holsters is similar).

As to IWB's, both make good ones.

Rosco

SpookyPistolero
05-19-10, 13:10
Thanks for the input guys-

Seems like info on the TT IWB stuff is few and far between, searches on most gun forums I know of don't turn up much of anything. I may just 'splurge' on the Comptac stuff since I know at least one model is pretty solid. I'll keep perusing.

theblackknight
05-19-10, 14:52
I love my CompTac MTAC. Ive ridden carnival rides and even skateboarded( just cruising) with mine on for my FS MP9.

JHC
05-19-10, 16:57
I've got Talon Tactical A10 (owb) straight drops for the G17 and M&P Pro 9 and they are superb holsters. For an IWB I'm much more interested in the Talon Tact Deep 6. Now that's a good lookin' IWB. I may order a straight drop for AIWB and a FBI cant to try and tote my Gen 4 G17. Will report if ah do.

http://talontactical.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=51&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

SpookyPistolero
05-19-10, 18:23
There's not much info on their site, sadly. Do you know if the 'clip' on the Deep6 is indeed a clip that comes over and back under the belt? Or just something that will ride on top of the belt? They don't list anything about saying what size belt it will fit, which makes me think it's the latter.

SOT364
05-19-10, 18:39
Pre-disclosure: Mike Benedict (Talon Tactical) is a personal friend of mine.

I have had kydex IWB holsters from those mentioned above, as well as, a myriad of others. I have carried them all over the place in all sorts of weather conditions.

Personally, I find that the Talon Tactical is significantly more comfortable on me than the Comp Tac. The little wings on the comptac models dig into me and the edges on other parts of the holster rub me in some spots. However, there is nothing wrong with Comp-Tac and they make a fine product.

Mike can tweak your holster to your specs. This makes it more comfortable to me, and adds the benifit of a better fit than the "one size fits all holsters."

He is a member of the forum under the screen name of Mike Benedict. Contact him via PM and he should be able to get you squared away.

Rosco Benson
05-19-10, 18:39
The TT Deep6 IWB's clip goes over the top of the belt and curves beneath the belt's bottom edge. This makes the holster easy to don and remove. Mike will make it to fit whatever belt width you require.

Send Mike an e-mail with any questions you might have. Talon Tactical is a 1-man operation, so you'll be communicating with the guy who will build your holster.

Rosco

SpookyPistolero
05-19-10, 19:07
Thanks much guys, a little more pondering and I'll likely hit him up.

The TT Deep6 IWB's clip goes over the top of the belt and curves beneath the belt's bottom edge. This makes the holster easy to don and remove. Mike will make it to fit whatever belt width you require.

Send Mike an e-mail with any questions you might have. Talon Tactical is a 1-man operation, so you'll be communicating with the guy who will build your holster.

Rosco

Nice, that's the design I was hoping for. Any reason to prefer one or the other vs the double button loops?

Sam
05-19-10, 20:46
Nice, that's the design I was hoping for. Any reason to prefer one or the other vs the double button loops?

I prefer the Deep Six and its fold over belt clip.

Contact Mike by his website's email or call him directly. He may not check the PM that often.

Rosco Benson
05-19-10, 20:54
Holsters are, to some degree, consumables. They will wear out, break, or otherwise become unservicable, before the pistol does.

TT's Deep6, along with all the other kydex holsters that form the belt loop from the holster's body, will eventually fail at the portion of the belt loop that is flexed to don and remove the holster. This is unavoidable and is the nature of the kydex material. It'll last a long, long time, but it will eventually fail. The "Georgia Heat's" loop system will probably last longer.

Comp-Tac addresses this with the replacable clip of the "Infidel".

Bottom line is that one should not expect their holster to last forever. They wear out long before the pistol does.

Rosco

SpookyPistolero
05-19-10, 23:43
Ok, so I've got some more questions..

I'd like something maybe a little simpler and cheaper for the G19 than the ctac, if possible.

1- Are the 'double loop' holsters noticeably thicker than something like the ctac? Such that it's harder to conceal?
2- Do 'double loop' holsters tend to rock or shift much?
3- Right now, I'm looking at the Bladetech Nano and Phantom. Has anyone used the Phantom? The price is quite enticing. If it's going to rock and shift or eat into my flesh, it's obviously not worth the cost savings though.

orionz06
05-20-10, 06:30
The double loop holsters I have used to not have the control over the grip as much as the CTAC and other "winged" holsters do, and it is because of the design. While not being much thicker, they do add a little bit, but more importantly, the grip angle (about the barrel axis) is not as easily controlled. With the CTAC, it is controlled with a longer "lever" so to speak. This also gives you more leeway with belt loop positioning and such, as well as cant a more consistent cant, or so it seems. My double loop holsters are slightly easier at a lesser weight, but as I gained weight, the CTAC continued to be my first choice.

If you really want versatile, a Raven or a clone with a few connection options is the way to go. You can add soft loops, OWB loops, and have J-hooks added, or even toss it on a MOLLE belt. The CTAC and generic double loop do not have these options.

mike benedict
05-20-10, 12:31
Ok, so I've got some more questions..

I'd like something maybe a little simpler and cheaper for the G19 than the ctac, if possible.

1- Are the 'double loop' holsters noticeably thicker than something like the ctac? Such that it's harder to conceal?
2- Do 'double loop' holsters tend to rock or shift much?
3- Right now, I'm looking at the Bladetech Nano and Phantom. Has anyone used the Phantom? The price is quite enticing. If it's going to rock and shift or eat into my flesh, it's obviously not worth the cost savings though.

I will try to answer your questions
1 No they are not thicker and they are fairly easy to conceal
2 Not in my experience the belt loop size is adjustable so you and tighten it up on your belt if desired.
If you want to change the holster angle you can by loosening the two screws, set the angle you wish and tighten the screws again

If any of you have any questions on Talon Tactical holsters please let me know. This is my 15th year in the holster business.

Mike

SpookyPistolero
05-20-10, 12:56
Thanks for chiming in Mike!

JHC
05-20-10, 14:30
Thanks Mike! I bought mine through Derek at the 400 store and they are superb! (A10s). More orders to come.

mike benedict
05-21-10, 15:39
Thanks Mike! I bought mine through Derek at the 400 store and they are superb! (A10s). More orders to come.

Glad you like your holster.

Mike