PDA

View Full Version : Help with .22lr platform

TheSmiter1
05-18-10, 22:26
At the moment I have a Glock 19. I shoot it well, but I find myself wanting my old M&P back. I sold it due to financial difficulties, and decided to try out the Glock 19 when I had enough money to get back into it.

The biggest thing keeping me with the Glock is the AA .22lr kit that I have for it. It fails to feed, fire, extract, and eject about once every two mags. At least. With recommended ammo (golden bullets). But it works for practice and plinking.

My question is this: If I were to go back to the M&P, would buying a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark III help with training (not flinching, trigger control)? If so, which one would be most like the M&P in terms of trigger? Is there a 'better' choice, or are they both good to go?

Thanks for any help.

TheSmiter1
05-20-10, 01:51
Alrighty, then. I guess I'll just keep the Glock and the kit. :D

John_Wayne777
05-20-10, 07:26
The trigger on the Buck Mark or Ruger is going to be very different than the trigger on the M&P...so the training value of those guns will be limited. For an economic training setup a Glock with an AA kit is pretty damn hard to beat.

Malfunctions with rimfire are to be expected, especially with kits.

Buckaroo
05-20-10, 08:53
The only regret I have from leaving Glocks is my AA kit. Loved that kit and would really like to see one for the M&P line.

My Ruger Mark II is nice but not anywhere similar IMO.

Buckaroo

TheSmiter1
05-20-10, 16:45
Thanks guys. I'll keep it for a while. I'm starting to like it more and more, though I always think I'll like the M&P a bit more. I'll just have to get one of those, someday, as well.

skyugo
05-20-10, 21:01
i believe smith and wesson has an M&P 22 pistol coming out soon.

JohnnyMcEldoo
05-23-10, 08:05
skyugo,

Do you have any more information regarding the M&P .22lr pistol?

I'm in a similar situation to the original poster, (but currently own a Mark III) and am intersted in finding .22 that is more similar to the M&P9.

Dan Goodwin
05-23-10, 08:21
To the OP: try different brands/weights of ammo. I have great luck with Fed Bulk Pack 550s in just about any .22. Many people DO NOT have good luck with the "Golden Bulllets".

TheSmiter1
05-23-10, 13:19
To the OP: try different brands/weights of ammo. I have great luck with Fed Bulk Pack 550s in just about any .22. Many people DO NOT have good luck with the "Golden Bulllets".

The AA kit is different from most .22s. Advantage Arms recommends using either CCI minimags or Golden Bullets in their system, and specifically puts Federal Bulk on the 'do not use' list. The Federal Bulk Packs do not extract often, if at all, and also fail to feed even more than the Golden Bullets. I am speaking from experience in this case.

varoadking
05-23-10, 13:20
The only round I have found that works well in all of my .22's, including AA kits, Mark II's, etc., is the CCI Standard Velocity 40 grain loads that operate at 1,070 fps.

Don't know why, but they're relatively inexpensive, so I'm not bitchin' about it...

ryan
05-23-10, 13:24
I do not have the AA kit for my glock, but I do shoot alot of Golden Bullets out of my tube fed Marlin bolt gun, out of a full tube I will have 3 or 4 fail to fire after hitting the primer 2 or 3 more times. IMO if your having problems with your weapon while using these rounds chances are it aint the gun.

tpd223
05-23-10, 13:40
The issues with your AA kit may be the ammo. I've seen a marked reduction in QC from Remington over the past few years, the Golden Bullets have fails to fire rather often in all of my .22s.

On my AA kit I almost never get stoppages with CCI Mini Mags. I also run the gun wet (opposite of how I normally run a Glock) and I use a Bore Snake every 3-5 mags worth of shooting, this seems to help quite a bit and is easy and quick to do.

Luke_Y
05-23-10, 14:02
Slight hijack follows;

Anyone run one of these with a threaded bbl for a .22 suppressor host? Does it run?

Kind of crummy that you can’t get the kit with the extended/threaded barrel, it must be purchased separately.

blackboar
05-23-10, 16:18
Just picked up an AA kit for my G19. I ran 100 CCI Mini-Mags and 100 rds of Fiocchi High Velocities through it. I was getting 1 double feed for every other magazine with both types of ammo. Then again I have to give it a chance to break in. So I'll re-evaluate again later.

Slight hijack follows;

Anyone run one of these with a threaded bbl for a .22 suppressor host? Does it run?

Kind of crummy that you can’t get the kit with the extended/threaded barrel, it must be purchased separately.

I hear the Tactical Solutions .22 upper for Glocks have a threaded barrel for suppressors. Not sure if the AA kits have them available. But the AA kits seem to be the most proven .22 uppers for Glocks