PDA

View Full Version : It's official, I'm 18. Now decisions decisions ;)

FireandFlames
05-18-10, 23:16
Hey all, yes I'm a youngin.
Just turned 18 a few minutes ago and I must say its something I have been looking forward to for quite awhile, having the privilege to purchase my own rifle with what I want on it. Man its just exciting.
Busy time for me right now with lots of big decisions ahead of me, so I was wondering if you well informed group of guys could help me with one.
I have about 1k ratholed away and will be recieving a good amount of money for graduation so I'm trying to decide how to spend it. As I am not 21 I can not purchase a lower and build my own rifle from the ground up, although I can add the bells and whistles later, I am just looking for a good out of the box rifle right now.
I have been around firearms my whole life but I have very little experience with the Ar, so this rifle will get run a lot over the summer.

I currently have it down to two choices, but I am completely open to suggestion.

DD M4V3
https://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=207

S&W M&P15VTAC
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766094_-1_757896_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Both can be had for around the same price and both come with goodies. So what do you think, ditch them both and go with a 6920? :D

Belmont31R
05-18-10, 23:20
Why arent you smoking a damn cigar right now?

Colt was my first AR....:cool:

500grains
05-18-10, 23:23
DD M4V3
https://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=207

S&W M&P15VTAC
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766094_-1_757896_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Both can be had for around the same price and both come with goodies. So what do you think, ditch them both and go with a 6920? :D

1. I have an unfavorable opinion of Colt's current quality based on how their M4 feed ramps in the receiver do not properly line up with the M4 feed ramps on the barrel extension.

2. I have a S&W M&P VTAC. It is light and very accurate. But I was thinking of dumping it after only 200 rounds to get another Daniel Defense. The S&W is a fine civilian and police gun in my opinion, but subjectively I have my doubts that it would be up to military service, while the DD is up to it.

FireandFlames
05-18-10, 23:28
Why arent you smoking a damn cigar right now?

Colt was my first AR....:cool:

Haha, I would but after making dumb decisions for a few months sophomore year I've become rather protective of my lungs. Got my stuff strait. Especially since I am completely obsessive compulsive about IST scores. I may smoke one later just to stretch my legs a little, that and strip clubs. :p

ChicagoTex
05-18-10, 23:34
definitely the DD. S&W uses 4140 for their barrels, which is sadly weaksauce. DD doesn't.

FireandFlames
05-18-10, 23:35
1. I have an unfavorable opinion of Colt's current quality based on how their M4 feed ramps in the receiver do not properly line up with the M4 feed ramps on the barrel extension.

2. I have a S&W M&P VTAC. It is light and very accurate. But I was thinking of dumping it after only 200 rounds to get another Daniel Defense. The S&W is a fine civilian and police gun in my opinion, but subjectively I have my doubts that it would be up to military service, while the DD is up to it.

Thanks for the reply, I know Colts quality has peaks and valleys I just didn't know they were in the latter.
Not that military service is on my plate right now but I can really appreciate a tough gun, I take good care of everything I own but I run it extremely hard. In addition AIMsurplus is in driving range of me, they do takeout?

rat31465
05-19-10, 06:03
Look into an LMT....I bought one and have never looked back.

The_Dude
05-19-10, 07:30
Distribute your wealth accordingly. Buy a rifle, keep it stock for a while so you can see the bare bones aspect and when the time does come to modify it, you will appreciate every part you buy even more.

With the money you save make sure you give to charity. Your local strip club is a great place to donate, single moms are always looking for a helping hand.

Keep college in mind too, its expensive but worth it.

And don't bring your rifle to the strip club.

Riley~~~

ForTehNguyen
05-19-10, 07:45
Id go with the DD

Alex V
05-19-10, 09:46
I'd also go with the DD option. Seems like a better firearm from the get go.

I think AIM Surplus lets you pick up ammo at the store a few days a week, I can imagine they would let you pick up the rifle as well.

And remember, as Jimmy Pop said, A lap dance is so much better when the stripper is crying

;) Happy Birthday!

ST911
05-19-10, 10:11

Not to hijack, but...

I've inspected 15-20 recent (2010) Colt acquisitions, mostly 6920s and 6520s, and have not seen what you describe. I have photos of most, but they all look like this: (AR6720)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/Colt%20AR6720/d0582cf7.jpg

15-20 is a very small number, so perhaps I'm missing them.

Either way, perfect visual alignment is optimal, but function is king for these working guns. Are the ones you describe not running because of misalignments? Pics would be great...

ST911
05-19-10, 10:18

Happy birthday.

I'd take the DD over the VTAC for my uses. First choice would be the 6920, though.

Take a class. Come back here when you need help, advice.

You're only 18 once. Make good decisions.

Deaj
05-19-10, 10:49
Happy birthday! :)

All of the weapons you mentioned in your post are worth a look and each has its + / -. Compare specifications, handle them if you can, and make your choice based on intended use and personal preference. any one of them is GTG for civilian use.

+1 on not bringing a rifle to a strip club. That can only end badly. :D

Cincinnatus
05-19-10, 11:39
Don't forget BCM. But of the two choices you mentioned, I would say the DD hands down.

bkb0000
05-19-10, 11:50
18 years old... if it were me, i'd go with an FN or Colt M16A4. i even know where you can get one free...

Cincinnatus
05-19-10, 12:28
18 years old... if it were me, i'd go with an FN or Colt M16A4. i even know where you can get one free...
"MAMA TOLD JOHNNY NOT TO GO DOWNTOWN ... Marine Corps Recruiter's hangin' around..."
"They say in the Marine Corps the Coffee's mighty fine . . . looks like muddy water and taste like turpentine.
"They say in the Marine Corps the Gals are might fine...
look like Phyliis Diller and walk like Frankenstein."
:D :D

Beat Trash
05-19-10, 12:48

And think of the extra money you'd have for the strip clubs...

Of your two choices, I'd go with the DD.

I'd also consider the Colt 6920 and the BCM.

Spoon
05-19-10, 13:11
If your stuck between the two your looking at, I would go for the DD. Have you considered building a BCM? Personally thats the route I would go. You'll save money building something similar to the DD.

Sid Post
05-19-10, 19:04
DD builds good stuff. Any of the top tier "mil-spec" places build good quality for the price. Sturmgewehr has Colt 6920 listed for $1100 which is a good option to consider but, personally I would hold out for a DD 16" mid-length gas system for a first choice.

On an SBR or M-16, I like a ~13 upper for most general uses.

RogerinTPA
05-19-10, 19:10
Another vote for your DD choice. Happy birthday.

shadow65
05-19-10, 19:15
Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense.

BWT
05-19-10, 19:21
I'd recommend either a BCM or DD.

S&W maybe down the road might be a nice addition, but as your first rifle, go all out, get the quality, and you won't regret it down the road.

Buy once, cry once, as they say.

Manes
05-19-10, 19:41
I have about 1k ratholed away and will be recieving a good amount of money for graduation so I'm trying to decide how to spend it. As I am not 21 I can not purchase a lower and build my own rifle from the ground up, although I can add the bells and whistles later, I am just looking for a good out of the box rifle right now.
:D

OK, I’m confused. Are the rules different in Ohio or something, or is it that I'm missing something else? Because last time I checked the BATF looked at a lower the same way it looks at a whole rifle.
Regardless, I can't say I would recommend a "build my own" as a first rifle. Best to go with a basic flat top setup with a red dot and shoot the snot out of it. My vote goes to BCM, but that’s just from personal experience. I'd say you can't go wrong with a Colt, just don't buy it sight unseen. My $.02

CTBuilder1
05-19-10, 19:45
Thanks for the reply, I know Colts quality has peaks and valleys I just didn't know they were in the latter.
Not that military service is on my plate right now but I can really appreciate a tough gun, I take good care of everything I own but I run it extremely hard. In addition AIMsurplus is in driving range of me, they do takeout?

You didn't know because it's not true. Someones sample size of one about some ramps not lining up perfect is hardly an indicator that Colt has poor quality.

FireandFlames
05-19-10, 21:35

Hehe, October....or next summer. Depends on how I stand physically, pullups are almost maxed out I just need to do a ton of work on my run time. Plus my recruiter just got moved elsewhere so I have to get to know the new guy.

FireandFlames
05-19-10, 21:38
OK, I’m confused. Are the rules different in Ohio or something, or is it that I'm missing something else? Because last time I checked the BATF looked at a lower the same way it looks at a whole rifle.
Regardless, I can't say I would recommend a "build my own" as a first rifle. Best to go with a basic flat top setup with a red dot and shoot the snot out of it. My vote goes to BCM, but that’s just from personal experience. I'd say you can't go wrong with a Colt, just don't buy it sight unseen. My $.02

How I understood it was that the lowers wee restricted from under 21 sales because you can build a pistol off a Ar lower. That may have changed idk, I just want to make sure I'm legal.

Btw, looking at a simplier first now. The Daniel Defense DDXVM or DDXV.
If I can get a lower and go the BCM route I will though! :cool:

shadow65
05-19-10, 22:05
Hehe, October....or next summer. Depends on how I stand physically, pullups are almost maxed out I just need to do a ton of work on my run time. Plus my recruiter just got moved elsewhere so I have to get to know the new guy.

Get to know the new guy? I guess times have changed since I was in. But that was 1974. My recruiter, as most, would tell you whatever it took to get you in.:eek:

FireandFlames
05-19-10, 22:18
Get to know the new guy? I guess times have changed since I was in. But that was 1974. My recruiter, as most, would tell you whatever it took to get you in.:eek:

My previous recruiter was a really great guy, he went above and beyond what he was required to do to do his job. He was very real about being in the service and would pretty much motivate by pointing out how you would fail if you didn't try; might not have worked for everyone but its worked for me. First thing he did was ask me if I wanted to be in then made me write down all the negatives about being a Marine and added some himself, and then asked me again.
Its hard to describe the methods used today but it seems like they try to bring you in to a brotherhood now, may just be a ton of bricks idk.

Jake Bauer
05-20-10, 02:40
DD for sure

QuietShootr
05-20-10, 07:26
I'm going to swim against the current here and recommend this, in this order:

1) Colt 6920
2) BCM 16" mid-length
3) LMT Defender 16"

Or if you're dead-set on the DD, they're good guns. I would eliminate the S&W from consideration for the reasons previously stated.

I just think for your first, you may as well get the gold standard.

shadow65
05-20-10, 08:12
My previous recruiter was a really great guy, he went above and beyond what he was required to do to do his job. He was very real about being in the service and would pretty much motivate by pointing out how you would fail if you didn't try; might not have worked for everyone but its worked for me. First thing he did was ask me if I wanted to be in then made me write down all the negatives about being a Marine and added some himself, and then asked me again.
Its hard to describe the methods used today but it seems like they try to bring you in to a brotherhood now, may just be a ton of bricks idk.

I went in the tale end of Viet Nam. It was pretty hard to get guys to join up. For a recruiter to keep his job, he had to make a quota (or so I was told).

Fyrhazzrd
05-21-10, 12:44

Did he tell you about how much you get jerked around in the military?

You get deployed to the giant sand box. They give you a shovel and tell you to dig a bunker. A week later you have said bunker dug with several hundred sandbags filled and stacked.

The very next day, you are now emptying all of those sandbags and filling in the giant pit that you just dug, because you are moving locations; only to start all over again.

Not to discourage you or anything, but the military really isn't all it's cracked up to be. Granted I only spent ten years in, but I was ready to get out once I left. The BS was getting pretty thick, even back then.

FireandFlames
05-21-10, 23:07
I know its no cake walk, but I also have never done it so I have no idea what its like.
It's what I want to do, and I think I need the experience.
Thank you all for your service.

Went to my local shop today, got to play with a ACR and they did have a M&P15 VTAC there. The VTAC was "sale priced" at $1800, and man those ACR's are front heavy.
Besides the ACR; their entire rack was filled with bushmasters, DPMS, and a bazillion M&P's.
Anyways a salesman there answered my question, no lower sales to anyone under 21 because they could be made in to a pistol. Kind of a dumb law.
Still fun to just walk around and be able to pick up what I want, I know I sound like a little kid haha.

So I have to buy a complete rifle. :mad:
Anyone know that if I have someone put a upper on a lower and sell it to me as a complete rifle that that would be legal?

Pappabear
05-22-10, 00:31
That DD is GTG.

Chadzillaa
05-22-10, 00:51
Get the DD, and keep us updated when you do. Post lots of pics! :D

Turnkey11
05-22-10, 03:07
Save your money and join the mil. Even 4 months of E1 pay saved up could get you the rifle you really want, which you may decide exactly what you want after you get to play with Uncle Sams rifles first. My vote goes to a 6920, first thing SBR it, then locate a Colt M4 barrel of the correct length and sell the 16" atrocity it came with, install DD RIS II rail with troy front & rear buis, SOPMOD stock in the back and T-1 sitting on top. That would be my route.:D