PDA

View Full Version : Troy TRX vs. MI SS-Series rails

TypeR_126
05-19-10, 00:44
I've been looking for a free float rail system and have narrowed my selection down to the two choices listed.

http://store.troyind.com/v/vspfiles/photos/STRX-ELI-C8BT-00-2.jpg

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/MI-SS9.gif

Other than aesthetics, are there any pros and cons between the two? Which one is lighter, has a more secure mount, etc? From the searching I've done, everyone seems to really like the TRX, but I haven't found any direct comparisons. Thanks in advance for your replies.

CoryCop25
05-19-10, 00:50
Welcome to M4C! Do some searching because this is a well talked about subject. It is my opinion that the Troy rail is superior to the MI. I have a Troy TRX standard 13in rail on my 6.8 and as much as I hate how much it weighs, it is just plain solid!

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/ARs/P1000772.jpg

TypeR_126
05-19-10, 15:59
Great. Thanks for the warm welcome and the personal feedback. I did find some info on the Troy products, but not too much on the MI stuff, at least in terms of actual user feedback. My search-fu may need some more work! :D

TypeR_126
05-19-10, 16:16
One more question. Does anyone know how these compare in diameter to the stock hand guards?

lethal dose
05-19-10, 16:49
The trx locks up much tighter, is much thinner in diameter, and also weighs less then the mi. It's diameter is very narrow and easy to aquire good positive traction with... I have big hands and like how I can get more of the handguard in my hand. I have the 11" extreme. Love it. If you check out my profile, you can search past posts of mine as I debated the same two rails when they were newish. The selling point for me was the diameter and mounting system.

Polymerhead
05-20-10, 19:27
I looked into both. The Troy didn't have enough difference for me to justify the extra $$. It was literally $100 more. The MI SS rail locks up like their other rails, with a jam nut, so it is a little work to get it all lined up. Nice mono look though. Only complaint is the anti-rotation screw, which stripped out almost immediately. :rolleyes: Still, all you need to do is torque it tight/right and you'll be good to go. If you're super concerned about it coming loose, you can add some low-strength loctite.

Both rails are great. If you're a larue/acog kind of guy, you'll probably want the troy. I'm more of the school of diminishing returns, where 50% of the cost gives you 95% of the usability.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Polymerhead/ARSuppressed2.jpg

Not a great pic, but this is the FDE MI SS rail.

uwe1
05-21-10, 10:54
There is definitely going to be a difference in the feel. Both will be functional, but personally I prefer the thinner diameter. This is the main reason I won't go near YHM anymore. My YHM was solid, but compared to the Troy TRX, it didn't come close in craftsmanship or design. I know we're talking about MI here, but that barrel nut looks just like the YHM barrel nut. Unless you have very large hands, I think you'll prefer the Troy.

TypeR_126
05-25-10, 12:50
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. I ended up ordering the Troy. The price difference ended up being negligible once I factored in the extra cost of the MI barrel nut wrench.

orionz06
05-26-10, 08:36
The MI appears to be a much larger diameter, can anyone confirm?

lethal dose
05-26-10, 10:37
The MI appears to be a much larger diameter, can anyone confirm?

It's quite a bit larger. Not sure of exact dimensions, but I'm sure they're on each rail's respective website. Also, when you look at pics of each rail mounted, the difference is noticeable.

NongShim
05-26-10, 13:25
Just by looking at the picture of the barrel nut and lock nut, it would appear that the MI tube would be at/close to the OD of the YHM tubes without rails.

While the barrel nut for the Troy appears to be a standard nut, it is not. It is proprietary and significantly smaller. I have not used a FF handguard that has a smaller OD than the Troy.

My roommate and I have installed 5 of them, and shaved FSBs down instead of using low pro gas blocks because we prefer to retain the use of taper pins. You have to remove a significant amount (basically all) of the non-essential material for it to fit. I hope that is a sufficient indicator of how slim this tube is.

lethal dose
05-26-10, 13:31
Just by looking at the picture of the barrel nut and lock nut, it would appear that the MI tube would be at/close to the OD of the YHM tubes without rails.

While the barrel nut for the Troy appears to be a standard nut, it is not. It is proprietary and significantly smaller. I have not used a FF handguard that has a smaller OD than the Troy.

My roommate and I have installed 5 of them, and shaved FSBs down instead of using low pro gas blocks because we prefer to retain the use of taper pins. You have to remove a significant amount (basically all) of the non-essential material for it to fit. I hope that is a sufficient indicator of how slim this tube is.
Right on. If you're uncomfortable with doing an fsb shave yourself, pm gotm4. He does great work.

NongShim
05-26-10, 14:03
Right on. If you're uncomfortable with doing an fsb shave yourself, pm gotm4. He does great work.

It's really not a big deal. If you've broken the rifle down to that point, you possess the requisite skills to shave the FSB (read: ability to breath, see, and use basic hand tools). I know there was a time when I was leary of grinding away at a part of a gun, but it's more tedious than it is tricky. Just take your time.

I tried to upload a pic of how much meat needs to be removed, but it's not happening right now. Maybe later.

Killjoy
05-26-10, 20:09
I have two TRX rails on a couple of my AR's and I can't tell people enough how good they are. The TRX has a superior locking system to the MI, replacing the conventional barrel nut with a special locking nut that make s the rail practically part of the weapon. Its lightweight and quite comfortable to hold. If you don't mind a little work, taking off your conventional front sight base and replacing it with a low-profile one is not super hard. Or bring it to any good gunsmith and they can do it in a few minutes.

Polymerhead
05-27-10, 21:31

Just measured it. The SS-series rail from MI has a 2" outside diameter almost exactly, not counting the top rail of course. Here's an updated photo, now back to centerfire. I need to order their sling attachment for the forend.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Polymerhead/DSC_0178.jpg

lethal dose
05-27-10, 23:29
Measured the troy. A little less then 1 3/4".

justin_247
05-28-10, 10:07
Anybody using a pinned, low profile gas block for their TRX rails? If so, which one?

I'm planning on using the 13" TRX rails for an 18" SPR'ish build that I'm working on, but I want to definitely use a pinned gas block.

FrankRochester
05-28-10, 15:26
I've got the 13" TRX Extreme... its freakin' mint! I bought a Vltor gas block to go under it.

handyandy
05-29-10, 22:19
Anybody using a pinned, low profile gas block for their TRX rails? If so, which one?

I'm planning on using the 13" TRX rails for an 18" SPR'ish build that I'm working on, but I want to definitely use a pinned gas block.

I'm using the FSB that came on my Daniel Defense barrel that I shaved down under my TRX and it worked great!