PDA

View Full Version : Thumb break on AIWB

Omega Man
05-19-10, 03:49
I would like to hear opinions on having a thumb break on an AIWB holster. What do you guys think?

Vendetta
05-19-10, 05:32
I have personally not seen anyone carry with a thumb break on an IWB holster.

Ed L.
05-19-10, 07:05
I think the Bianchi pistol pocket has one--if they are still made and are still available.

CaptainDooley
05-19-10, 07:14
I'm not sure why you would want one. I personally see no use for one. A decent holster will retain the pistol without it and since any kind of IWB is worn for concealment, you don't need it to protect against a gun grab because the gun should be hidden...

John_Wayne777
05-19-10, 08:32
As a general principle I wouldn't support it as the risk of getting the thumbsnap inside the trigger guard of the gun would outweigh any potential retention benefits it may offer, IMO. Now a competently designed thumbsnap may eliminate that safety concern...

1911pro
05-19-10, 08:34
I'm not sure why you would want one. I personally see no use for one. A decent holster will retain the pistol without it and since any kind of IWB is worn for concealment, you don't need it to protect against a gun grab because the gun should be hidden...

I agree+ it is something to slow you down or stop your draw under a high stress situation.

1911sforever
05-19-10, 08:56
As a general principle I wouldn't support it as the risk of getting the thumbsnap inside the trigger guard of the gun would outweigh any potential retention benefits it may offer, IMO. Now a competently designed thumbsnap may eliminate that safety concern...

Totally agree. I want NOTHING to potentially foul the reholster of a pistol that is pointed at the Three Amigos.

John_Wayne777
05-19-10, 09:09
I've been carrying in the CCC "Shaggy" for a while now, and with the retention adjusted properly the gun is not coming out of there accidentally. It takes deliberate effort to separate the pistol from the holster. I've done the upside-down shake test with the holster and an unloaded firearm and unlike a lot of other good holsters on the market, the "Shaggy" passes.

azidpa
05-19-10, 11:22
I would like to hear opinions on having a thumb break on an AIWB holster. What do you guys think?

I think it has merit, especially if there is any chance of going hands on
with a subject, ie, an undercover making an arrest.

fwiw
Mark

JSantoro
05-19-10, 13:32
It's the 21st Century, and there are better options than a thumb-break on just about any holster you care to mention.

Omega Man
05-19-10, 17:52
I like the idea of having that extra retention in a situation that does not require leathal force. If i had to fight with someone, hand to hand and my opponent was not armed. I would not want to be in this kind of struggle, and not have some extra retention.

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-20-10, 02:18
For civy use I wouldn't recommend using a thumb break AIWB with a hammer fired / external safety equipped gun, especially if you are just doing normal CCW. I would definitely not use a thumb break AIWB holster for carry with a striker fired gun. I just see too many draw backs and not enough positives to support using a thumb break. From my unscientific research and experience there is too great of a chance of the thumb break getting caught in the trigger guard, combine that with the irreparable damage of a ND in this carry configuration its a NO GO for me. I see the fact that the pistol is hidden as your first point of insurance so that your opponent doesn't know it is a factor in a fight. Second, even bending over slightly greatly increases your retention of the pistol in the AIWB position. I have no intention of ever going "hands on" as a private civilian.

For LE I can see where a thumb break / retention feature would be desireable but I would only consider it if they had an AIWB holster with an ALS type release, not a thumb strap. Additionally, if I was LE / MIL there is a chance I would be carrying a long gun and in that case I find that AIWB does not work as well as normal strong side OWB / IWB for transitions.

Just my .02

GU

Omega Man
05-20-10, 03:22
Good points Rocket. I have been jumped and attacked with fists only, with no provocation, other than the attacker felt like fighting. I was living in NYC at the time, and wasn't carrying a firearm. So i didnt have to worry about a pistol falling or getting into the wrong hands. But it does make me think about the possibility of being in a fight with an unarmed violent person and how important it would be to keep the pistol with me, as opposed to the attacker getting his hands on it because it fell during the struggle. I realize this kind of scenario is pretty rare if you mind your own business, but i have been on the wrong side of Murphy's Law more than once in my life.

Bulldog7972
05-20-10, 08:20
Good points Rocket. I have been jumped and attacked with fists only, with no provocation, other than the attacker felt like fighting. I was living in NYC at the time, and wasn't carrying a firearm. So i didnt have to worry about a pistol falling or getting into the wrong hands. But it does make me think about the possibility of being in a fight with an unarmed violent person and how important it would be to keep the pistol with me, as opposed to the attacker getting his hands on it because it fell during the struggle. I realize this kind of scenario is pretty rare if you mind your own business, but i have been on the wrong side of Murphy's Law more than once in my life.

Omega Man, you just made my case against the Comp Tac 2:00 and why it sits in my junk holster box. When I first bought the holster and bent over, out it came, gun and all. I soon realized that that was going to be a common reoccurence which would probably ocurr at the worst possible time and that would not be a good thing so I dumped it to my junk box. All because of a 25 cent belt clip.

dojpros
05-20-10, 13:22
IMHO, unless your activity has you in a violently inverted position, a thumb break is not needed for AIWB. If you think you are going to be in such a position, the Bianchi 3S IWB has a thumb break. As other shas posted, one would need to be extraordinarily careful on the re holster with such a rig, particularly with a striker fired only psitol.

Omega Man
05-20-10, 19:36
I would follow Todd Green's sage advice and reholster my pistol SLOWLY and looking out for any extraneous material that could get caught in the trigger guard.