PDA

View Full Version : FNP45 Competition model

HK45
05-19-10, 08:51
I've been interested in the FNP45 for awhile. Will probably never buy one but I like big .45's. They are showing a new competition model at the NRA meeting. When the FN 45 first showed up they had a single action only version but that went way for some reason. Too bad. Anyway see the details at the below link.

http://gunnuts.net/2010/05/19/fnp-45-competition/

OldGreg
05-19-10, 12:05
I don't know how i'll be able to resist getting one of these. I've wanted a FNP45 for a while now, but was waiting for them to fix the mag-follower issue.

*Update: I was under the impression there was an issue at one time, but I could be completely wrong. I am willing to retract my statement above, because I do not own this pistol.**

See my explination down below.

HK45
05-19-10, 12:10
What is the magazine follower issue?

threeheadeddog
05-19-10, 14:50
Interesting to note. It looks like that perticular gun has the slide milled for a RDS with the filler plate in.

OldGreg
05-19-10, 16:44
What is the magazine follower issue?

I have to be honest.. I'm not even sure there still is an issue. I have never shot one, and everything I'm about to say is what I took away from reading multiple threads on the FN Pistol forums.

So early last year I was interested in purchasing a .45, was doing some reading up on the FNP45, and there were a lot of owners complaining that the FNP45 had a bunch on nose-dive jams while shooting FMJs, though it loved to eat JHPs. Seemed that the mags have (or had) followers with short legs, and combined with the super-tight space tolerances of that 14 round mag, there were some FMJ feeding 'problems' because of the tip of the bullet being dragging up the mag, tilting them downwards, causing the problems (esp. with WWB). I even recall someone mentioning that someone @ FN said Winchester manuf. their whitebox 45 out of spec, making them too 'tall' for use in the FNP45 (that is interweb hearsay read with my eyes though.. so take that with a grain of salt).

I do want to mention that I have read nothing but glowing raves about the Customer Service that FN was providing for the fellas having problems.

Anyhow, I decided to wait it out... (and then I purchased a used CZ 97B). So I never got to see if any answer was offered or if it all has been debunked completely. I never checked back... but I still have lust for one.

I hope its all GTG now, because i'd sure like to purchase one sometime.