PDA

View Full Version : Weight: Stag Model 2 vs. BCM 16" LW Mid

marklbucla
05-19-10, 08:55
Is it just about a 4-5 oz difference with the Stag being heavier?

I'm asking because I want to cut the weight as much as possible on my AR. I've got a Stag Model 2 upper and am probably going to go with a BCM 16" Light weight midlength instead but can't find any weight specifications anywhere on the Stag. I tried calling Stag as well and they couldn't tell me; just that the weight overall of the complete carbine is about 6.5 pounds.

BravoCompanyUSA
05-19-10, 10:35
Its about 1/4 pound or so difference on the barrels from gov profile M4 to LW profiles.

Jeff has a lot of weight info here.
http://www.03designgroup.com/
It is updated with more as time allows.

BravoCompanyUSA
05-19-10, 10:39
If you are trying to build a super light weight fighting carbine, that barrel is only part of a good package.

I don't have all the weight info and it will take some surfing (but that is half the fun).
Certain handguards will save a few oz over others.
Certian optic mount and optic types will offer a few oz weight savings.
Certian stocks, sling mounts, etc will also offer less weight.

After all that is factored in, you can end up shaving something like pound-ish off comparable configurations.

marklbucla
05-19-10, 10:59
I found most of the info regarding the BCM uppers when you emailed me back, but the steel is different too. How big of a difference in weight is there between the Mil-Spec (BCM) and 4140 (Stag)?

As in, is there any difference in weight between equally configured BCM and Stag uppers?

120mm
05-19-10, 14:13
Weight - It ain't everything.

The quality of the BCM is worth any ounce or two of weight penalty.

If you're really concerned about weight, make your AR out of paper-maiche'

ForTehNguyen
05-19-10, 15:35
if there is any difference, its not going to be anything noticeable