PDA

View Full Version : EoTech/BUIS problem

Txs
05-17-07, 12:26
I'm wanting to mount an EoTech on my patrol rifle, but am trying to figure out how to get this to work for me.

The EoTech mounted on a flat top lines up quickly for me, but from what I'm hearing through other officers who use this sight the use of a co-witnessed BUIS will cause me problems. Their complaint is that when deploying from an air-conditioned vehicle in a hot/humid environment (most of the year here) the EoTech fogs badly for several minutes and also renders this iron sight uselsss.

Are there any options besides mounting the EoTech way up there on a carrying handle and using the existing iron sights as my back-up?

ffhounddog
05-17-07, 13:02
I have not heard that about the EOTECH. I might have to do trial in my car this weekend before I go to the range.

John_Wayne777
05-17-07, 13:21
I don't suppose anyone makes a flip mount for the actual EOTech sight like they do for the magnifiers, do they?

jmart
05-17-07, 14:29
You might want to try applying some anti-fog paste/gel to the lenses and see if that addresses your problem. Also, I doubt this would be limited to just Eotech's, it probably would affect any optic. If you can't eliminate the fogging then you might be relegated to irons.

One last thought -- the new LaRue flip magnifier mount might work with Aimpoints/ Tri-powers or Leupold's new Prismatic. That's just a thought, but I have no idea what the dimensions are. If it does, you could flip it out of the way until the fogging cleared and then flip it back.

RD62
05-17-07, 16:13
I would think that this would only be a problem only if the cold A/C were blowing directly on the EOTech. Also mine EOTech came with a neoprene scope coat. This may be enough insulation to prevent fogging and would certainly be helpful in keeping dust, spills, scratches, etc of the lense when stored in the car. Sounds like some tests may be in order.

-RD62

rhino
05-17-07, 20:48
If your EOTech fogs, you can always just wipe it with your finger or something.

You might also consider doing some shooting with the lens completely occluded. You'll still be able to see the dot, and if you use that Trijicon-style "Bindon Aiming Concept," you should be able to shoot okay at close range by keeping both eyes open. One will see the target, the other will see the dot, and your brain should superimpose the two. Try it on the range sometime.

Why would you want to do so? If your EOTech frosts over or gets covered in dirt or mud, you'll still be able to shoot with a reasonable level of accuracy, even though the irons are completely obscured.

Of course, I'm a nobody, so this may not be any of the "approved" lists of things to do. It's an option to consider.

Rock-N-Ruin
05-17-07, 21:09
Is the EO-Tech fogging just on the outside of the lenses or inside??? If it's just outside, there are quite a few different products to apply to the lenses to keep it from fogging, if it's on the inside, I would send it in for a factory warranty repair as I don't think they should fog at all inside... We used to use some stuff for our goggles, but I can't remember the name also I think rainx makes an anti fog for vehicle windshields which works alright.... That's definately something you need to address as it could be a serious saftey issue if both primary and back up sighting systems are impaired.. Until you resolve this issue, I would call KingsX on the Eothingy and just stick with the BUIS for now... ... Jeff............................:confused:

Txs
05-18-07, 04:44
-The cool air doesn't have to be blowing directly on the lens, just long exposure to the cool/dry air in the car's interior will cause this.

-They're fogging only on the outside surfaces, due to the cool lenses suddenly being exposed to very warm/humid conditions.

-Simply wiping doesn't help because the lens is still cool and will continue to fog up until it gets closer to surrounding air temperature.

-A cover doesn't help because this is a temperature/humidity differential issue, not rain or dew.

-I've used the occluded eye method since Armson introduced their OEG system close to 30 years ago. It CAN work, but with the particulars of the EoTech's design (much wider lens and the reticle not in a fixed position) I'd rather not trust my life to it while in a hurry.

I run into this same fogging issue with NVG's or cameras, particularly in the predawn hours when the air is most damp (~90%). It gets to the point where if I know I'm about to be needing either of these I'll put them on the dash and turn the defroster on for a few minutes to warm them before use. This just isn't much of an option when it comes to patrol rifle optics.

What I'm really needing to find here is some sort of alternative mounting where the EoTech could be mounted low enough to obtain a good cheek weld, but BUIS could be used without having to view them through the optic. I really like the EoTech for use in low light, but I'm stumped on this and remain open to suggestions.

Robb Jensen
05-18-07, 04:50
I use this on shooting glasses and other eyewear to avoid fogging. Spit doesn't work like it does in a diving mask. ;)

http://www.campmor.com/images/sunglasses/83081.jpg

It's cheap and works well. Available here : http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=608&memberId=12500226

05-18-07, 05:31
I’ve had an EoTech in my patrol car for the past three years or more.

With my Crown Vic my AR was mounted horizontally on the inside of the trunk lid and my shotgun was mounted horizontally on the cage and I cannot remember that having ever been a problem.

In my Impala both my AR and 870 are mounted vertically inside between my seats and they both have an EoTech and again I’ve not run into this, but there’s always a first time for everything.

If you use the large thumbscrew to mount one instead of the Allen-head screw you could dump the EoTech in a few seconds if you had to otherwise LaRue Tactical can answer your design questions at Sales@LaRueTactical.com, hope that helps.

Txs
05-18-07, 05:42
I use this on shooting glasses and other eyewear to avoid fogging. Spit doesn't work like it does in a diving mask. ;)

http://www.campmor.com/images/sunglasses/83081.jpg

It's cheap and works well. Available here : http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=608&memberId=12500226
Dear EoTech,
Will it void your product warranty if I maintain a coat of Cat Crap on the lenses? :D

rhino
05-19-07, 20:18
-What I'm really needing to find here is some sort of alternative mounting where the EoTech could be mounted low enough to obtain a good cheek weld, but BUIS could be used without having to view them through the optic. I really like the EoTech for use in low light, but I'm stumped on this and remain open to suggestions.

How about leaving the EOTech where it is and installing a supplemental iron sight on the handguard like this: JP short range tactical sight (http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JP-SRTS).

Another option is if you have a four-railed handguard. You can turn the rifle (the same as you would when using the sight system above) and use the gap between the top and side rail as a "gutter sight." It works surprisingly well with a little practice, at least at close ranges, and it has the bonus of eliminating much of the holdover necessary at close ranges since the gap is closer to the boreline than conventional iron sights or your EOTech.

Harv
05-19-07, 22:06
I've experimented with my Aimpoint in both extremes and what I have found is that I can see my Dot and still engage tgts.

I pulled out my Carbine from the basement last year (a very cool 65 degree's) and brought it out side on a very hot and humid (98 F) day. Even though she fogged up, I could still see the dot and any tgt I placed it out (Pretty much the same as using it with the front cover on it)

I did the same thing this winter and got the same effect.

Bpunk360
05-26-07, 18:54
i absolutely love my Rock River Arms Dominator 2 Eo-Tech mount that co-witnesses the iron sights.. it raises the Eo-Tech a little so its above the front post and the rear apiture is in the far bottom of the Eo-Tech... honestly i dont even notice the front or rear iron sites when using the eo-tech.. and the plus is that if the eotech goes down in a fight there is nothing to flip up, all i have to do is press my cheek into the stock a little more and im back in the fight.. less then a 1/2 second transition....

C4IGrant
05-27-07, 07:16
If your EOTech fogs, you can always just wipe it with your finger or something.

You might also consider doing some shooting with the lens completely occluded. You'll still be able to see the dot, and if you use that Trijicon-style "Bindon Aiming Concept," you should be able to shoot okay at close range by keeping both eyes open. One will see the target, the other will see the dot, and your brain should superimpose the two. Try it on the range sometime.

Why would you want to do so? If your EOTech frosts over or gets covered in dirt or mud, you'll still be able to shoot with a reasonable level of accuracy, even though the irons are completely obscured.

Of course, I'm a nobody, so this may not be any of the "approved" lists of things to do. It's an option to consider.

Agree. We did this drill at the Vicker/Hackathorn low light class and it really teaches the advantages of both eyes opening shooting.

TXS, put tape on your front of the EOTech and turn it on and practive engaging targets.

C4