PDA

View Full Version : Magpul XT rail cover question.

Dos Cylindros
05-19-10, 10:33
For those using the XT rail covers, are they as secure as the XTM covers? I was thinking about giving some of these a try. I am currently running the XTM covers but need some new foliage green furniture so I was thinking about trying the XT covers. I am mainly interested to know if anyone has has a problem with them coming off or sliding around.

Ridge_Runner_5
05-19-10, 10:52
The XTs lock up pretty solid. I used them back in the day.

They take a bit of creative bending to fit on the rail, and the same to get off. They have small ledges cut in the backside to lock them in place on the rail. Good, secure covers, and the texture makes them pretty grippy, unlike the XTMs...

Cincinnatus
05-19-10, 11:36
They are solid as long as you don't take them off and on too much. Then they start to lose some of their grip because the edges start to bow outward. No they do not slide.

TehLlama
05-19-10, 17:47
At worst, setting them in a vise overnight can re-tighten them, though I only had to do it with one diminutive peice.

The corners were a bit sharp for my preference, and the texture a bit much, but an hour with a kitchen knife and I still really like the XTs I have.

I really only like stippled XTM's better for these spots, but they're otherwise fantastic.

JonnyVain
05-19-10, 22:03
They're gtg. They are a little skinnier than the XTM.

offroad_nomad
05-20-10, 09:23
I took my wife's hairdryer, set it on high, and blasted the XTs for a few minutes. The heat made it easier to install them on my rails and they're solid once they cool off.

The XTs lock up pretty solid. I used them back in the day.

They take a bit of creative bending to fit on the rail, and the same to get off. They have small ledges cut in the backside to lock them in place on the rail. Good, secure covers, and the texture makes them pretty grippy, unlike the XTMs...

Dos Cylindros
05-20-10, 09:41
Great, thanks for the info. I will probably pick up a few sets this weekend and see how they work out.

Stickman
05-20-10, 11:32
For those using the XT rail covers, are they as secure as the XTM covers?

I don't believe they are. The XTM is harder, more durable, and locks into place better. The XT isn't a bad cover at all, but I think the XTM has it beat all the way around.

Dos Cylindros
05-20-10, 17:46
I don't believe they are. The XTM is harder, more durable, and locks into place better. The XT isn't a bad cover at all, but I think the XTM has it beat all the way around.

Thanks Stick. I currently have the XTM's on my carbine right now, but like the texture of the XT's and the Tango Down SCAR's. Perhaps I will save the coin and break out the soldering iron and do a stipple job.

mofeen
05-29-10, 21:36
Do the XTM's do a good job of protecting the rail? Just got a Colt LE6940 as my first AR and do want that bad boy dinged. I do not abuse my firearms, but I do not baby them either if you know what I mean.

ALCOAR
05-29-10, 21:49

I would agree if I only could pick one...however, XT's def. have a place imho, I like the xtm on the sides of the rails...and then the slimmer and bit more soft xt panel on the bottom rail. So you really need BOTH:)

Skang
05-30-10, 01:01
i was thinking about getting those but end up with Troy Rail covers.

i have not seen many people has it. I like them.

fp2000h
05-30-10, 08:48
It probably doesn't help that I don't own the XTs, but, for what it's worth, I really dig on the XTM rail covers. One thing: I really fukt up my rail trying to remove the XTM rail covers. I followed the instructions but dug too deep with the bullet tip and marred the shit out of my LaRue rail. I was PISSED. I have since learned how to remove effectively but what a learning curve! Hopefully, the XT covers don't require such sensitive methods.

HeavyDuty
05-30-10, 08:52
I've been going back and forth between XTs and XTMs on one of my carbines and find I actually prefer the XTs - they're noticeably thinner and I prefer the texture.

The XTM is a great design, though - mine have always locked up tight.

fp2000h
05-30-10, 08:59
What attracted me most to the XTMs was the ability to customize the colors. I know that probably sounds a little gay, but having foliage, OD, and FDE interlocked in different ways helped me to achieve a digital camo sort of effect. With the XT rails, you've got one continuous cover in one color and that's pretty much it. If positive grip is an issue, maybe some nice tacti-cool gloves might be in order?