PDA

View Full Version : Who has or plans on painting there m4

devildogljb
05-19-10, 14:42
ive seen alot of pics on the pic thread of people who have painted their m4's, is there a reason for it ? Prevent rust etc? And it seems to just rub off in the end after alot of use. And what type of paint did you use and what are your reasons for doing it or wanting to do it. P.S. im not saying its a dumb idea, im just curious? Thanks for your comments
SEMPER FI

Belmont31R
05-19-10, 14:48
Why do you need to paint your gun? Taliban running around your neighborhood? If you just like the look...its your gun do what you want with it.

devildogljb
05-19-10, 15:31
Why do you need to paint your gun? Taliban running around your neighborhood? If you just like the look...its your gun do what you want with it.
I dont i never said i wanted to lol and no not he taliban not that i know of any way lol but just your typical gang wannabes im just curious why people do it is all.

ghostman1960
05-19-10, 15:58
I know I will catch flak for this, but I would rather nail my balls to a tree trunk before I took a can of paint to my rifle.

Turnkey11
05-19-10, 16:07
Camo krylon from walmart; cheap, easy, and it comes off easy too.

SteveL
05-19-10, 16:10
I know I will catch flak for this, but I would rather nail my balls to a tree trunk before I took a can of paint to my rifle.

I used to feel the same way, but after seeing some of the pictures on this forum I'm starting to reconsider.

RIDE
05-19-10, 16:11
I agree!!! I've seen some pretty nice looking paint jobs, but there is NO WAY I am taking a can of paint and hitting my rifles with it.

CTBuilder1
05-19-10, 16:14
I hit mine with rustolem camo paint. Why? Why not. Breaks up the outline, cooler to the touch after being in the hot sun all day. I don't think I would ever onw another AR that was not sprayed at this point.

If the paint rubs off - and it will - you just hit it again. Doesn't take that long to do.

252actual
05-19-10, 16:43
why not right? :) krylon rattle can.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4459636680_560db6480b_b.jpg

shittercrewchief
05-19-10, 17:16
black is boring if you cover it in flat clear coat about 4 coats the paint last a while

4thPointOfContact
05-19-10, 17:26
... and when the rattle-can paint job wears through, as it will, it gives things a nice 'salty' look; like you're actually done something with your rifle rather than just put in on the wall to look pretty.

The best camouflage never looks pretty, it looks a bit rough, just like nature is.

JHC
05-19-10, 17:33
Why hunt with a jet black gun? It is the only jet black thing in the woods.

obiwanbartobi
05-19-10, 17:38
I'm still pretty new to the AR world and so is my rifle, I've painted all the furniture but the metal, but I'm seriously thinking of taking the plunge and doing the whole thing. I have been using Krylon, but thinking of Duracoat for the rifle.

TehLlama
05-19-10, 18:01
Why go with black? Why use other colored furniture.
For those who could be helped by making a black stick less visible, there isn't much of an argument against it - and for those with a mindset that the weapon system is a tool and part of a bigger thing will paint them if practical.

If they let us paint our issue rifles, I'd be all about it - nothing about a solid black rifle blends in with sand, or anything else in afghanistan, except for tractor tires.

Belmont31R
05-19-10, 18:54
... and when the rattle-can paint job wears through, as it will, it gives things a nice 'salty' look; like you're actually done something with your rifle rather than just put in on the wall to look pretty.

The best camouflage never looks pretty, it looks a bit rough, just like nature is.

What like it just got done punching 500 holes in some paper targets at the range? :confused:

Lucky Strike
05-19-10, 19:18
I like the looks of the camo jobs done using pine needles......I'd never do it myself because i'm sure i'd mess something up but I've considered paying to have it done and probably will sometime in the future

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/1989_S-10/ODApaintedrifles.jpg

This one's got some skulls integrated for some extra mojo

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/1989_S-10/camo4.jpg

CTBuilder1
05-19-10, 19:27
I like the looks of the camo jobs done using pine needles......I'd never do it myself because i'm sure i'd mess something up but I've considered paying to have it done and probably will sometime in the future

Mine was a pine needle job -

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/ewb352/DSC01623.jpg

The Aimpoint has since been done, but no new pics of it.

BrianS
05-19-10, 20:05
Ct1Builder,

Do you mask the rear ap and the front sight post when you paint or no?

Also do you start with light and then work to dark with the stencils or vice versa?

Just curious.

QuietShootr
05-19-10, 20:15
I'm going to rattle-can the **** out of my new LMT 308MWS just to irk the no-way-am-i-painting that gun crowd....

devildogljb
05-19-10, 21:14

Im the same way, i just wanted to know the reason some one does it is all

hitman1012
05-19-10, 21:34
It is actually very easy to do. I have used Krylon and now I have been using Duracoat. The first one I did kind of came out crappy but my spray gun was set to high and putting out to much paint. If you have a decent compressor you can pick up an airbrush pretty cheap. I suggest painting some odd stuff to practice before having at your rifle. I use Magpul flat dark earth alot but I live in New Mexico, so it works.

apd268
05-19-10, 21:38
Like them skulls Lucky Strike!!

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/1989_S-10/ODApaintedrifles.jpg

This one's got some skulls integrated for some extra mojo

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/1989_S-10/camo4.jpg

RetreatHell
05-19-10, 21:42
I'm seriously thinking about getting my wheelchair frame done in multi-cam. As of now it's just raw titanium. But I'm not even sure if titanium can actually be painted. Anyone know?

devildogljb
05-19-10, 22:01
I'm seriously thinking about getting my wheelchair frame done in multi-cam. As of now it's just raw titanium. But I'm not even sure if titanium can actually be painted. Anyone know?

that would be pretty cool lol and i dont see why it couldnt be painted if not painted im sure theres some type of finish that can be applied to it that they do to hunting rifles and shotguns

emfourbinator
05-19-10, 22:38
One thing I noticed awhile back was that Middy owners seem to be more inclined to paint their
weapons. Most likely still true today. I have to admit that painting mine does seem a bit more
logical that spraying a twenty inch rifle or a Carbine of some type. Managed to avoid the
temptation thus far, but given some of the better paint jobs seen lately, I could cave in ! :)

Cameron
05-19-10, 22:44
I got bored, and this happened.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2492/4152760925_d6f0c774d6_o.jpg

Deaj
05-19-10, 23:43

This.

I'm sure that I would feel differently if I were taking a rifle into combat and the change in color offered a tactical advantage but it's ok with me if my rifle and I are visible when I'm out shooting for recreation.

thopkins22
05-20-10, 00:09

Titanium can be painted, MOOTS and a few others will paint most of their titanium bicycle frames.

cop1211
05-20-10, 02:21

I think it can be hydro dipped. Try liquidcamo.com ,ask for Terry. He did a bunch of parts for my new rifle in Marpat digital woodland. Nice work.

Semper Fi,
Craig

Surf
05-20-10, 02:55
If you use your rifle to shoot at things that may shoot back. Black is not the best color. Not even close.

variablebinary
05-20-10, 04:17
I am going to krylon one of my 6920's sometime this summer.

120mm
05-20-10, 04:20
If you think you MIGHT be carrying it in the woods, or shooting at those who shoot back, painting's a good idea.

Plus the whole easy thing and the cooler in the sun thing

ghostman1960
05-20-10, 05:34
Why hunt with a jet black gun? It is the only jet black thing in the woods.

Except for the woods Ninjas.

JHC
05-20-10, 06:17
Except for the woods Ninjas.

Damn. I never saw one and just assumed they were out there in ghillie suits.

macnamara
05-20-10, 06:19
Simply put, I painted mine (albeit a M&P15-22) because I think it looks cool. No other reason.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1322/4601114119_2872d69dcd_b.jpg

Would I paint my LMT? No. But if I picked up a beater AR, then I'd probably paint that one too.

ghostman1960
05-20-10, 06:38
Simply put, I painted mine (albeit a M&P15-22) because I think it looks cool. No other reason.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1322/4601114119_2872d69dcd_b.jpg

Would I paint my LMT? No. But if I picked up a beater AR, then I'd probably paint that one too.

Pink?

macnamara
05-20-10, 06:43
LOL! Blame the flash on my Leica. It's like an A bomb going off.

QuietShootr
05-20-10, 07:02

Sure can. That would be ****ing awesome. In fact - I'm going to skip right to the triple-dog-dare.

TwoSqueeze
05-20-10, 07:26
My take is "to each his own". I have been farting around with the idea of spraying my 14.5 middy. I do keep some flat black brown and tan about my garage should the need arise.

-TS

CTBuilder1
05-20-10, 08:09
Ct1Builder,

Do you mask the rear ap and the front sight post when you paint or no?

Also do you start with light and then work to dark with the stencils or vice versa?

Just curious.

Yes, the front sight post was masked and the rear ring. The lens and tailcap on the surefire were masked as well. When I did the aimpoint the front and rear lenses were masked and I took the strap that connects the adjustment covers and battery covers off.

I started with the tan color first to get a basecoat then added the browns and greens sprayed through long pine needles. Then I went back to the base color. There is a few layers of going back and forth to different colors to get the desired effect.

PRTrooper
05-20-10, 08:42
I know I will catch flak for this, but I would rather nail my balls to a tree trunk before I took a can of paint to my rifle. I'll bet that somewhere there is a forum for that.:eek:

Iraqgunz
05-20-10, 08:47
I can't stand black rifles and I live in the desert, thus I will paint my carbines and whatever else. I have one that isn't painted only because I was going to sell it.

Plus I want to be prepared when the war between Arizona and California starts over electricity. :D

I prefer to paint mine with a base coat of Aluma-Hyde from Brownells and then use Krylon or Aervoe flat military paints.

PRTrooper
05-20-10, 08:48
why not right? :) krylon rattle can.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4459636680_560db6480b_b.jpg

That's the coolest paint job I've seen yet! :D

Quib
05-20-10, 09:31
Some DIY info.......

https://peosoldier.army.mil/docs/blog/weaponspainting101.pdf

Dozer
05-20-10, 09:39

There's a few companies that will dip your stuff. The only kicker is that you have to disassemble it to bare parts so that may be show stopper for you. Contact me for their contact info.

S/F
Dozer

dwhitehorne
05-20-10, 10:44
I painted mine about a month ago. I've been looking at painted rifles for years and thought why not, my rifles are just for fun anyway. I used rattle cans from walmart and it took about a hour. Most of the paint blew off the phantom within 300 rounds. I was surprised how the rest held up with a smoking hot barrel. David

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/guns/IMG_3094.jpg

tobasco
05-20-10, 11:15
i wouldnt even know where to begin. :eek:

ghostman1960
05-20-10, 11:24
I'm going to rattle-can the **** out of my new LMT 308MWS just to irk the no-way-am-i-painting that gun crowd....

No way would I ever krylon my new BMW!

rifleman2000
05-20-10, 11:32
A gun is a tool. I will paint one to make it more effective for its intended purpose or for maintenance. I don't care how it looks, just how it performs.

ETA: The only ones that I will never paint, obviously, are those with some historical value as is, such as my M1 Garand, Russian SKS, L1A1, etc.

CTBuilder1
05-20-10, 12:20
No way would I ever krylon my new BMW!

I wouldn't either. But any new BMW worth owning is over $45K. How much is the typical quality M4 pattern rifle? $1200. How about something special? $3K. Not that big of a deal. They get scratched and dinged up from getting shot and dropped anyways. If you're looking for artwork buy a nice painting.

PrivateCitizen
05-20-10, 12:28
I prefer to paint mine with a base coat of Aluma-Hyde from Brownells and then use Krylon or Aervoe flat military paints.

Got a shot of your daily driver?

arizonaranchman
05-20-10, 14:38
A gun is a tool. I will paint one to make it more effective for its intended purpose or for maintenance. I don't care how it looks, just how it performs.

ETA: The only ones that I will never paint, obviously, are those with some historical value as is, such as my M1 Garand, Russian SKS, L1A1, etc.

Exactly. My guns get used heavily. They show their wear and dings and character marks. They're precision tools and well cared for, but not pampered. What it looks like is not a big concern really. I've painted some of my longarms, but my AR's are black here. My BCM middy goes everywhere with me everytime I step out the door. It rides on the passenger seat of my truck when I go places. Mtn lions, coyotes, bobcats, etc are the primary concern with poultry and assorted animals around my remote ranch. I'm surrounded by thousands of acres of forest and wide-open expanses so I'm on my own here. A half hour response from the sheriff would be considered quick.

JSantoro
05-20-10, 15:53

Sure can. That would be ****ing awesome. In fact - I'm going to skip right to the triple-dog-dare.

Do ya one better....Devil-Dog-Dare!!!

That's right.

I said it.

Iraqgunz
05-20-10, 16:05
Unfortunately my daily driver here is a Beretta 9mm. These are some of my daily drivers at home.

Got a shot of your daily driver?

Caeser25
05-20-10, 17:45
Camo krylon from walmart; cheap, easy, and it comes off easy too.

Exactly, it's not gonna hurt it, you can change it until you find a pattern you like and put a couple coats on it. Krylon dries fast too with just a fan blowing on it, no baking in the oven etc.

Caeser25
05-20-10, 17:49

Definitely, the Winchester 94 is staying the way it is, as well as an M1 when I eventually pick one up.

macnamara
05-20-10, 17:54
Exactly, it's not gonna hurt it, you can change it until you find a pattern you like and put a couple coats on it. Krylon dries fast too with just a fan blowing on it, no baking in the oven etc.

Exactly why I re-hit my gun today:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4624222137_ae24781d42_b.jpg

I wasn't happy with the "pink" initial job. 30 mins later and I had a new job.

RetreatHell
05-20-10, 18:10
There's a few companies that will dip your stuff. The only kicker is that you have to disassemble it to bare parts so that may be show stopper for you. Contact me for their contact info.

S/F
Dozer

Roger that. When I'm ready to do it I'll shoot you a PM or email. I figure I'll do my back-up chair, that way I won't be without my normal chair for however long and can see how it turns out before I ship off my primary chair to be done.

As for disassembly, I've got a place I go to for repairs so I'll have them do it for me.

Thanks brother!

macnamara
05-20-10, 18:11
Roger that. When I'm ready to do it I'll shoot you a PM or email. I figure I'll do my back-up chair, that way I won't be without my normal chair for however long and can see how it turns out before I ship off my primary chair to be done.

As for disassembly, I've got a place I go to for repairs so I'll have them do it for me.

Thanks brother!

You know you'll have to post pics of it when it's done, right? ;)

texag
05-20-10, 19:20
I don't like burning myself by picking up a gun that's been sitting in the Texas sun and I use my AR for hog/coyote hunting.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/TexAg10/Firearms/SANY0226.jpg

Plus I like how it looks.

RetreatHell
05-20-10, 19:30
You know you'll have to post pics of it when it's done, right? ;)

Of course!:D