PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul wins Kentucky!

Irish
05-19-10, 19:49
I hope he shakes up the system and can bring some positive change to our Senate. FYI - He's the son of Presidential candidate Ron Paul. http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100519/NEWS0106/5190425/1008/NEWS01/Paul+win+brings+him+national+media+attention

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- Just a few hours after his convincing Republican primary victory for Kentucky's U.S. Senate seat, Rand Paul rose Wednesday for a 5 a.m. interview with Fox News, followed by appearances on all the major morning news programs.

Next came a steady stream of interviews with national outlets, including CNN, National Public Radio and MSNBC, as reporters from across the United States waited their turn to talk to the man whose name and face were on newspaper front pages from coast to coast.
"Very hectic,'' Paul said between interviews at his storefront campaign headquarters in downtown Bowling Green. "It was exhilarating."

With his victory Tuesday, the 47-year-old Bowling Green ophthalmologist and tea party darling has become something of a political rock star -- the subject of radio talk shows Wednesday as far away as California and Topic A on Internet news sites.
Most news accounts focused on the fact that Paul is the first tea party candidate to win a statewide election and, in doing so, defeated an opponent endorsed by Kentucky's top Republican, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Paul easily defeated Kentucky Secretary of Trey Grayson, a Northern Kentucky Republican long considered a favorite of his party's establishment, winning nearly 60 percent of the vote.
But on Wednesday, McConnell had nothing but praise for the man who has bucked the Washington "establishment."

"He ran a really great campaign," the Senate GOP leader said in an interview. "I don't think I've ever seen an unknown primary candidate become a national figure. But he did it very skillfully, and he did something else very skillfully, which was to stay on message."

But as national attention moves elsewhere, Paul, likely will face tougher scrutiny in the general election regarding some of his views -- such as demands for a smaller government and term limits for "career politicians" -- say some political observers.

"This is going to provide a brave new world for Paul," said Jennifer Duffy, a senior editor with the Cook Political Report, a nonpartisan political newsletter based in Washington. "My question for him is, what are going to be his priorities -- less government or what the people of Kentucky need?"
Follow link for the rest of article.

Artos
05-19-10, 20:21
it was a good day amigo...come on november!!

2012 cannot get here soon enough!!

Irish
05-19-10, 20:55
it was a good day amigo...come on november!!

Absolutely! He's one of the few politicians who's actually read, understands and tries to abide by the Constitution.