PDA

View Full Version : milling out a rear sight for a big dot front

skyugo
05-19-10, 21:29
so my big dot honeymoon is over.
i recall some guys mentioning milling out some rear sight with a ball end mill to work with the big dot front. what sight is recommended for this? is there anyone i can order a pre-milled sight from or send one to to do?
thank guys. (this is for a glock 26 btw)

Sparks2112
05-20-10, 03:19
Novak makes a half ghost sight that would probably do exactly what you want it to do. Read a write up recently about a setup running that sort of arrangement.

BBossman
05-20-10, 15:38
There is an article in SWAT from I think April 2009, describing this.

NCPatrolAR
05-20-10, 15:42
so my big dot honeymoon is over.
i recall some guys mentioning milling out some rear sight with a ball end mill to work with the big dot front. what sight is recommended for this? is there anyone i can order a pre-milled sight from or send one to to do?
thank guys. (this is for a glock 26 btw)

I picked up a modified 10-8 rear sight for a 1911 from Dave Berryhill a few years ago. It was cut to .256 IIRC for use with a Big Dot front. When I scrapped the idea of the Big Dots I sold off the sight.

Al U. 5811
05-20-10, 15:48
Cory Trapp @ the Gunsite smithy does it with a Heinie Slant Pro. My G17 has that combo and it works well for me.

ranburr
05-20-10, 20:32
Ameriglo makes a few rear sights that are wide enough to work with the BD front.

Dan Goodwin
05-20-10, 21:27
Erich Gelhaus wrote the SWAT piece. Believe it's a 3/8th in. ball end mill on plain black Heinies, IIRC. Still ain't done a set myself, but need to! Try reversing a set of Glock plastic rear sights and using the ball end mill on it to see if you likey.

Al U. 5811
05-21-10, 10:43
I am interested to know if an unaltered 10-8 rear would work with a BigDot front. It already has a U-shaped cut, but is it wide and deep enough.

Note: My partner and I attended the Gunsite 223 Vet's course last summer and I had Cory install a BigDot front on my G17. I already had Heinie Slant Pro's. He ball milled the rear and zero'ed at 15yds. Work was done on our lunch break, cost $65:) A couple of the other guys had it done after trying mine. I first got to try this sight set-up in 2004 on Ed Head's 1911. At the time they called them "Old Man Sights".