PDA

View Full Version : North Korean torpedo responsible for 46 deaths

Retarius
05-20-10, 06:46
Looks like N Korea is at it again. I say let S Korea go to town.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/mobile/world/asia_pacific/10129703.stm?

A North Korean submarine's torpedo sank a South Korean navy ship on 26 March causing the deaths of 46 sailors, an international report has found.
Investigators said they had discovered part of the torpedo on the sea floor and it carried lettering that matched a North Korean design.
Pyongyang rejected the claim as a "fabrication" and threatened war if sanctions were imposed, say reports.
China has urged both countries to show restraint.
South Korean President Lee Myung-bak pledged to take "stern action" against the North.
The White House described the sinking of the ship as an "act of aggression" by North Korea that challenged peace.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the report was "deeply troubling".
Pyongyang said it would send its own inspection team to the South to "verify material evidence" behind the accusation.
A North Korean defence spokesman said the country would "respond to reckless countermeasure with an all-out war of justice", the state KCNA news agency reported.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said Beijing had "noted" the report and would make its own assessment, but called on both sides to exercise restraint.
The Cheonan went down near the disputed inter-Korean maritime border, raising tension between the two nations, which technically remain at war.
The shattered wreck of the 1,200-tonne gunboat was later winched to the surface, in two pieces, for examination.
The investigation was led by experts from the US, Australia, Britain and Sweden. The team examined eyewitness accounts, damage to the vessel, evidence collected from the seabed and the injuries sustained by survivors and those who died.
It said: "The evidence points overwhelmingly to the conclusion that the torpedo was fired by a North Korean submarine.

Xpertz1
05-20-10, 07:07
Ther is only one problem with that, if South Korea goes for it, North Korea has nukes, which means WE would be in it also. I'm not opposed to that , as long as it is done quickly and all at once and forever. In other words , nuke them till they no longer exist. No land battles and lost American lives. And, hope China stays the hell home.

Daemonbane
05-20-10, 08:21
Ther is only one problem with that, if South Korea goes for it, North Korea has nukes, which means WE would be in it also. I'm not opposed to that , as long as it is done quickly and all at once and forever. In other words , nuke them till they no longer exist. No land battles and lost American lives. And, hope China stays the hell home.

My $0.02, I don't think China would help N. Korea this time, they are too involved in world commerce to risk it all for the sake of one madman's recklessness. As for the nukes, all bets are off to how they'd use them and how the world would respond, personally, if I were China, I'd go ballistic if they detonated one and the fallout drifted in my direction.

Irish
05-20-10, 12:37
I say we pull out of Korea and let them have at it. No more American lives should be wasted on that pollution dump.

GermanSynergy
05-20-10, 14:25
I doubt we'll do anything.

rifleman2000
05-20-10, 14:38
I doubt we'll do anything.

South Korea might. Read about them in Vietnam, they don't play games. And since the Eighth Army is there, if South Korea jumps, we will be involved.

GermanSynergy
05-20-10, 14:45
South Korea might. Read about them in Vietnam, they don't play games. And since the Eighth Army is there, if South Korea jumps, we will be involved.

War on the Korean peninsula would be very ugly, given the players involved.

thopkins22
05-20-10, 14:49
I say we pull out of Korea and let them have at it. No more American lives should be wasted on that pollution dump.

Agreed. If they went to war tomorrow, South Korea would absolutely dominate. They have what, twice the population and 23.5 times the GDP of North Korea...they're quite capable of defending themselves.

On top of that I believe if China were to get involved they would hit North Korea's nuke sites pretty f-ing quick. A nuclear explosion in that part of the world would hurt them more than anyone...they don't want to deal with refugees. Combine that with a relatively capitalist society(albeit not a free market,) the Chinese almost have more in common with SK. They're nothing if not pragmatic.

War on the Korean peninsula would be very ugly, given the players involved.
I don't believe so. Like I said with the exception of nuclear weapons, the South Koreans would have to make some very stupid decisions to lose. And I believe China would either sit it out or at the most take out what warheads the North Koreans have...they have absolutely zero incentive to let one of them get detonated, in fact it is truly in their interest to prevent that.