PDA

View Full Version : Old Powder and Primers

Constable 1
05-20-10, 14:24
OK this is the question. In the past i did a lot of reloading and shooting but 6 or so years ago due to career assignments and a serious illness of a child I put the Dillon and all my primers and powder in storage, I haven't touched them since,

Now I am digging all my equipment out and setting up again to load .223 and .40 S&W to start. I have 3 pounds of 748 and 3031 that have been sealed and in temperature controlled storage in the house. I have also 2k+ of small rifle primers that have been in an outside storage building for most of that time exposed to 100+degree summer temps.

Does any one have any experience with powder that has been stored for long periods of time, or should I consider it a loss and dispose of it.:confused:

I think that the primers are a total loss but I wanted to see if anyone has any input into their storage or possibilities for use, I have always been told that storage in high heat conditions was the worst thing that can happen to Ammo, primer and powder for long periods of time.

any thoughts

762xIan
05-20-10, 19:42
As far as the powder is concerned, you will be fine. I have used powder given to me (friends father passed away) that was AT LEAST 20 years old or older....the prices on the cans were $6 per pound. The powder worked fine.

The primers I would suspect a little more, but I would still use them and limit them for plinking ammo. I have used old primers that were stored in a damp basement for many years, no corrosion on the primers and they all worked.

tracker722
05-20-10, 20:08

MarshallDodge
05-20-10, 20:33
My friends father passed away a couple years ago and he gave me a bunch of 4895 that had 1971 written on the bottle. I am not sure how it was stored but last year I loaded up 800 rounds of plinking ammo and it all ran great, not a single misfire or anything to think that there was something wrong.

Someone told me that you could do a sniff test on powder and that it should not have a strong acrid chemical smell, just the usual powder smell.

There would be no harm in loading up a couple dozen rounds and trying it out. The worst that would happen is the primers wouldn't go bang.

HelloLarry
05-22-10, 11:04
Give the primers a try too. I'll bet they are OK.