PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR MUR Assembly?

WS6
05-20-10, 22:40
How is the FA/deflector attatched to the MUR? Basically...is it solid...will it contain pressure from a case-rupture...does it wiggle...etc.

I saw a post a while back where someone was complaining about the difficulty of getting the ejection-port cover off for replacement with a laser engraved version. Is the MUR different this this respect as well from a standard upper?

ETA: I just went to their website and Vltor advertises the MUR as having Type II anodizing. Why the hell would they spend the time to make such a "strong" upper just to give it decorative anodizing? Wierd. Multi-piece beauty queen anyone? Not liking this : /

TehLlama
05-21-10, 15:33
If it's a problem, the LaRue, Sun Devil, Rainier, and MEGA offerings are certainly out there - I'd go with any of those if you're concerned.

trg42
05-21-10, 17:50
The assembly is dovtailed into the upper. A roll pin holds the unit from sliding out ( towards the back of the upper )

The reason someone said that it was difficult getting the ejection port covers off was because it requires you to remove the FA / deflector module . Its easy to put the pin on backwards ( like a traditional AR where the extra length goes towards the muzzle ) When you do this with a MUR the pin slides out of the hole on the left side of port cover.

I found this out the hard way !

I have no reason to doubt that it could handle pressure like a tranditional upper. Even though the module lookes relatively large, the upper reciever only has a small window that the forward assist passes through to so you have the forged reciever walls holding it together...not the forward assist / case deflector module

This module is precisely machined to fit into the upper with a dovetail. The two I have exhibit no play

See pics below

The MUR is machined from a pretty beefy forging ( current models are forgings )

Left to right we have the Sun Devil, a RRA standard flatop, Vltor. You can see the module sits ON a heavy wall forging . Top view shows how much the module protrudes

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/TRG42/3backview.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/TRG42/topview.jpg

Notice the ejection cover hinge pin protrudes to the RHS on the Sun Devil ( and traditional uppers ) . The Vltor it goes the other way.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/TRG42/sideview1.jpg

WS6
05-24-10, 15:51
THANKYOU! I see, I SEE! Awesome pix. All I could find were from like 3 angles, over and over again, none showing how it went togather.

jafount
05-31-10, 22:39
It's a total piece of cake to remove and replace it. I did mine no problem to install my dust cover door, as seen here:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x24/jafount/DSCN0280.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x24/jafount/DSCN0274.jpg

militarymoron
05-31-10, 23:16
ETA: I just went to their website and Vltor advertises the MUR as having Type II anodizing. Why the hell would they spend the time to make such a "strong" upper just to give it decorative anodizing? Wierd.

it's a typo. they're type 3 hard coat anodized.

LonghunterCO
06-01-10, 10:42
It's a total piece of cake to remove and replace it. I did mine no problem to install my dust cover door, as seen here:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x24/jafount/DSCN0280.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x24/jafount/DSCN0274.jpg

Whoes ejection port cover is that?

crowkiller
06-02-10, 07:18
Whoes ejection port cover is that?

They have some like it here:http://www.harengser.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=AR15_EJ_Gadsden

WS6
06-02-10, 08:27
it's a typo. they're type 3 hard coat anodized.

Ah, gotcha! Thanks!

500grains
06-02-10, 11:08
Does anyone know the weight diff between a VLTOR MUR stripped upper with FA as compared to a standard one like a DD M4 stripped upper? I am going to step out on a limb here and speculate that the diff is 1.5 ounces.

By the way, the SUn Devil is sweet looking also. I want both. It's a good thing AR15s are cheaper than sports cars. :)

Warg
06-02-10, 12:15
Does anyone know the weight diff between a VLTOR MUR stripped upper with FA as compared to a standard one like a DD M4 stripped upper? I am going to step out on a limb here and speculate that the diff is 1.5 ounces.

By the way, the SUn Devil is sweet looking also. I want both. It's a good thing AR15s are cheaper than sports cars. :)

10 ounces with the FA and deflector. Basic flat top uppers with FA and ejection port cover are 8 to 8.5 ounces, so good guess! :)

500grains
06-02-10, 20:04
Thank you!

WS6
08-03-11, 04:18
Does the Vltor MUR block use a roll-pin common to another in the AR, or must they be individually sourced, and if so, can this be done? Will Vltor sell just the pin?

I have read that one person who had their MUR fall apart because the pin walked out claims it does not look like the pin could be pounded out to the inside of the receiver because the pin was too long to allow for this. Is this true? How is it removed?

Wishing Noveske did not use oddball stuff like the MUR. Love their uppers but this MUR is giving me pause. Is it often that they fall apart?

Iraqgunz
08-03-11, 04:53
So because one person reported something you are concerned? Do you think that Noveske would use them if they were shit?

Don't you think that Vltor would have issues and there would be mass internet hysteria if they were crap?

Does the Vltor MUR block use a roll-pin common to another in the AR, or must they be individually sourced, and if so, can this be done? Will Vltor sell just the pin?

I have read that one person who had their MUR fall apart because the pin walked out claims it does not look like the pin could be pounded out to the inside of the receiver because the pin was too long to allow for this. Is this true? How is it removed?

Wishing Noveske did not use oddball stuff like the MUR. Love their uppers but this MUR is giving me pause. Is it often that they fall apart?

WS6
08-03-11, 06:43
So because one person reported something you are concerned? Do you think that Noveske would use them if they were shit?

Don't you think that Vltor would have issues and there would be mass internet hysteria if they were crap?

Negative, hence my inquiry into the frequency of this.

Iraqgunz
08-03-11, 07:25
WS6,

From your post:

This implies that you are concerned even though you clearly state that it has happened to one person. I asked you if Noveske would continue to use them if this was an issue or would Vltor in fact keep making them if they were crap. Again, based on your own post it does seem as if you are concerned.

I would contact Vltor directly and pose your questions. All the people that I know that have them have been very happy with them. Does that mean that this "person of one" didn't get a lemon? No. But, it stands to reason that if this was an issue you would be seeing more of it on the net.

WS6
08-03-11, 08:36
WS6,

From your post:

This implies that you are concerned even though you clearly state that it has happened to one person. I asked you if Noveske would continue to use them if this was an issue or would Vltor in fact keep making them if they were crap. Again, based on your own post it does seem as if you are concerned.

I would contact Vltor directly and pose your questions. All the people that I know that have them have been very happy with them. Does that mean that this "person of one" didn't get a lemon? No. But, it stands to reason that if this was an issue you would be seeing more of it on the net.

Will pose questions directly to Vltor. Thank-you.

markm
08-03-11, 08:52
If it's a problem, the LaRue, Sun Devil, Rainier, and MEGA offerings are certainly out there - I'd go with any of those if you're concerned.

Those billets aren't even in the same galaxy as the MUR.

WS6
08-03-11, 09:09
Those billets aren't even in the same galaxy as the MUR.

I presume you mean that the MUR is superior? How is it superior to the LaRue?

I presume you have no issue with the MUR holding the FA in-place with a single roll-pin, and I know you run your stuff hard.

markm
08-03-11, 09:22
I presume you mean that the MUR is superior? How is it superior to the LaRue?

The MUR is infinitely superior.

LaRue is surely machined well.... But it's a billet. And even the best billet will never have the strength of a forging. Plus the multi heat treatment of the MUR makes the material even better than a mil spec forging.

WS6
08-03-11, 09:39
I spoke with Kino at Vltor.
Very down-to-earth, polite, knowledgeable, and honest individual.

I'm on-board with the MUR after hearing the facts about it. :cool:

markm
08-03-11, 10:26
I spoke with Kino at Vltor.
Very down-to-earth, polite, knowledgeable, and honest individual.

I'm on-board with the MUR after hearing the facts about it. :cool:

Yep. Once you get the facts on the MUR, you can't help but want one.

When I first saw it... I thought it was just another upper that was marketed for the something to look cool/custom crowd.

WS6
08-03-11, 10:29
Yep. Once you get the facts on the MUR, you can't help but want one.

When I first saw it... I thought it was just another upper that was marketed for the something to look cool/custom crowd.

My only reservation was the removable FA assembly. However, based on the "failure rates" Kino discussed with me, it's a non-issue. Much more likely for the gas-key to come un-staked or whatever else. Definitely not the weak-link.

Am planning to buy a Noveske, or build an A4 clone soon. Not sure which. If I go Noveske, here is what I want + Ta11F-G, FUG, and maybe an M300:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrlp-556&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=

kdcgrohl
08-03-11, 11:03
Sample size of 1... (well technically 3 I guess...)

I have a MUR 1A, purchased directly from VLTOR's webstore.

After about 60 rounds, the whole FA/Deflector assembly fell off.:confused: I was about 5 rounds into the magazine, after a quick inspection of what flew off(rolled gun over, missing assembly, nothing interfering with BCG), I finished off the mag. There was no catastrophic failure, the gun will still run perfectly fine.

The culprit was the roll pin was never fully installed from the factory(it was still captive, didn't loose it). I installed it properly, and all is well. Needless to say I then inspected my Noveske upper and my VIS3 upper, both roll pins were installed properly.

I figure it was a Friday when my upper was finished & packaged.

All that said, if I were in the market for a new upper, VLTOR would still be the first place I looked.

WS6
08-03-11, 19:41

After about 60 rounds, the whole FA/Deflector assembly fell off.:confused: I was about 5 rounds into the magazine, after a quick inspection of what flew off(rolled gun over, missing assembly, nothing interfering with BCG), I finished off the mag. There was no catastrophic failure, the gun will still run perfectly fine.

The culprit was the roll pin was never fully installed from the factory(it was still captive, didn't loose it). I installed it properly, and all is well. Needless to say I then inspected my Noveske upper and my VIS3 upper, both roll pins were installed properly.

All that said, if I were in the market for a new upper, VLTOR would still be the first place I looked.

Are all 3 FA's now 100% solid and wiggle-free?

It also begs the question...what if the pin walks out the other way? It would lock up the BCG and render the weapon useless until it was cleared.

Iraqgunz
08-04-11, 03:56
Are you saying that this happened with 3 different MUR's?

Magic_Salad0892
08-04-11, 06:04
I'm tempted to replace my stripped factory KAC uppers with VLTOR MUR uppers, to see if I can reduce POI shift with a suppressor, true the barrel extension point for more accuracy, and maybe get some heat sink properties with it.

It sounds like a worthy endeavor. After my optic problem is solved...

WS6
08-04-11, 06:08
I'm tempted to replace my stripped factory KAC uppers with VLTOR MUR uppers, to see if I can reduce POI shift with a suppressor, true the barrel extension point for more accuracy, and maybe get some heat sink properties with it.

It sounds like a worthy endeavor. After my optic problem is solved...

LaRue talks about their rails/barrel nuts having heat-sinking "features" or something. However, I would think SWS rails with their much larger steel nuts would be the best thing out there for heat-sinking in the throat area.

I also find it hard to read the above without cracking a smile. :p

My only concern with the MUR upper I guess remains the pin walking out, but I am more concerned about it walking IN and binding up the BCG. E-mailed Vltor about it, will see if it has ever happened. They say they have "tens of thousands" of MUR's out there. Accurate?

kdcgrohl
08-04-11, 09:09
Are all 3 FA's now 100% solid and wiggle-free?

It also begs the question...what if the pin walks out the other way? It would lock up the BCG and render the weapon useless until it was cleared.

Sorry for the murky language. I have 2 MUR's and 1 VIS
One of my MUR's is a Noveske built upper, Never any problems.
My VIS, Never any problems.
The other MUR, bought bare from VLTOR, was the problem.
Pin was never installed all the way, I fixed that and all is well.

As for the pin walking, I can't see that happening if the correct pin is correctly installed.

WS6
08-04-11, 12:12
Sorry for the murky language. I have 2 MUR's and 1 VIS
One of my MUR's is a Noveske built upper, Never any problems.
My VIS, Never any problems.
The other MUR, bought bare from VLTOR, was the problem.
Pin was never installed all the way, I fixed that and all is well.

As for the pin walking, I can't see that happening if the correct pin is correctly installed.

Thank-you!

I am curious however, how you can tell that the pin was not correctly installed (as opposed to just walking out even though it were installed correctly) after the fact?
Is the FA assembly indeed a light interference-fit piece? Now that you have hammered the pin back in, is it 100% wiggle-free, or is there a few thousandths play that can be felt?

kdcgrohl
08-04-11, 12:41
Thank-you!

I am curious however, how you can tell that the pin was not correctly installed (as opposed to just walking out even though it were installed correctly) after the fact?
Is the FA assembly indeed a light interference-fit piece? Now that you have hammered the pin back in, is it 100% wiggle-free, or is there a few thousandths play that can be felt?

There was only a fraction of finish scarring in the upper assembly. Not deep enough in the pin hole to have been installed properly.

The FA is "100% wiggle-free".

WS6
08-04-11, 12:53
There was only a fraction of finish scarring in the upper assembly. Not deep enough in the pin hole to have been installed properly.

The FA is "100% wiggle-free".

Thanks! Makes perfect sense. Appreciate your clarification!

I just had initially found it odd as the MUR roll-pin is flush with the outside for the FA assembly in every photo I have seen of it, and for it not to have been driven in fully, one would think it would be hanging out not flush with the FA. Since I do not personally own a MUR right now, I digress.