PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts/opinions on Tactial Response's VOK

jhs1969
05-20-10, 22:41
I recently picked up a VOK and a pack of Celox. Any thoughts?

I also got their DVD, and had never considered applying a tourniquet first to a severe wound but now somewhat understand the reason. Again, any thoughts?

Next, I plan to add a pair of shears to my kit (this weekend). Oh, I also picked up a second H-bandage. Any other suggestions?

chuckman
05-21-10, 06:29
Are you ever in 'harm's way'? A cop, military dude, etc? The problem with a lot of people getting blow-out kits is a) lack of training, and b) it gathers dust so if you have to use the big stuff (chest decomp needle and TQ), you forget (see 'a'). It is not a bad little kit, basically is the same as every other manufacturer's blow-out kit, but the liklihood you'll ever need to needle a chest is just about nil (unless, of course, you go down range, a cop, hi-risk job, etc.).

Personally, if I were to use it as a range kit, personal kit, etc., I would forego the needle and throw in some shears, a couple abd pads and some kerlix/Israeli bandage/whatever-is-popular-now. If you are at risk for either being shot or around people who are, keep the needle (but train up!) and add the aforementioned items.

jhs1969
05-21-10, 10:52
Are you ever in 'harm's way'? A cop, military dude, etc? The problem with a lot of people getting blow-out kits is a) lack of training, and b) it gathers dust so if you have to use the big stuff (chest decomp needle and TQ), you forget (see 'a'). It is not a bad little kit, basically is the same as every other manufacturer's blow-out kit, but the liklihood you'll ever need to needle a chest is just about nil (unless, of course, you go down range, a cop, hi-risk job, etc.).

Personally, if I were to use it as a range kit, personal kit, etc., I would forego the needle and throw in some shears, a couple abd pads and some kerlix/Israeli bandage/whatever-is-popular-now. If you are at risk for either being shot or around people who are, keep the needle (but train up!) and add the aforementioned items.

My profession does not put me in harms way, but I have found myself there on a few occasions. My sister-in-law is a ER nurse so I can get some informal training that way, I don't have any knowledge of local professional training though I need to look deeper into it.

chuckman
05-21-10, 11:37
Skills sustainment is a problem throughout the mil when it comes to this, not just 'civilians'. When I was a corpsman I found myself giving impromptu training to the Marines every couple weeks. For your particular kit, the chest decompression is a pretty important thing to not get wrong, and for non-med people, the hardest thing to remember.

Your SIL can give you some good tips, and pull the stuff out every now and then to re-learn. There are some good books out there, too.

Weaver
05-23-10, 06:21
TRs VOX has the basic essentials, but it's a very large kit for what it does - not my choice for something to carry on a military patrol. It would make a decent package for a vehicle, or for a kit carried in a vehicle. I do approve of everything being closed up in one easy-to-grab bag.