PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Owners, I need your advice & experience

No Bananas
05-21-10, 01:10
Ok, I've finally decided I want a Noveske upper. I can't decide between the Afghan SS barrel and the 16" N4 Light (Chrome Lined barrel). I can't affor 2 Novesk Uppers, so all I want from this barrel is everything. I'd love to have the accuracy of the SS, with the toughness of the N4 Light. I know the Light will be accurate enough (maybe more), but I've heard the SS barrels are pretty tough. I want to be able to shoot groups out to 300 yds from the bench, when I feel like working on accuracy (probably with a 1-4x scope). I also want to be able to take it to a 3-gun match or a tough AR course. It will be used in semi auto, and every one in a while I'll dump a bunch of rounds at a 3-gun or a tough AR course. I also want to be able to rely on this for SD. Is the SS tough enough or will I go through the barrel too fast?

spamsammich
05-21-10, 01:21
Get the Recon barrel rather than the Afghan, then you won't have to deal with pinning the flash hider or NFA bullshit. Do a search for Molon and the Recon barrel, he has posted accuracy results for a rainbow of Noveske barrels including the N4. Then decide on which is best for your needs. IMO, most of your shooting is from benchrest, stick with the SS barrels.

Army Chief
05-21-10, 07:47
I wouldn't shy away from the Afghan, nor would I be too concerned about longevity. Noveske uses a harder stainless than the industry standard, and his SS tubes have a great repuation for going the distance.

The counterpoint here is that NRW's Light barrels don't really sacrifice anything in terms of functional accuracy, they are more tolerant of long-term "abuse" (i.e. high round counts and rapid fire), and you can save a bit of weight with the Light configuration.

Which will best meet your needs depends largely upon what those needs are, though for an all-around carbine that isn't being optimized for any one role, I still find the Afghan an excellent choice.

AC

500grains
05-21-10, 09:11
This post is not a comment on Noveske but rather a comment on the vulnerability of stainless steel barrels to SS109 steel core projectiles. If you plan to shoot green tip ammo (SS109) then there is really no choice but a CL barrel as SS wears quickly under the abuse of SS109.

Personally since you are looking at a 14.5" barrel I am guessing that long range is not your primary concern, so the light CL barrel will provide plenty of accuracy, be more durable, and lighter.

Just IMO.

No Bananas
05-21-10, 10:34
All great advice. I had an opportunity to speak with Joel at Noveske the other day. The time he took to speak with me, itself, convinced me to become a Noveske customer. He said that the SS barrels will start having an issue when they reach about 800 degrees F. Joel explained that's after shooting about 2 (30) round mags as fast as possible or FA. Good info to have.

Todd.K
05-21-10, 10:47
The stainless barrel does not need to be babied, multiple mag dumps are bad but you can run it hard in a carbine class without any worries.

Keith E.
05-21-10, 13:31
as SS wears quickly under the abuse of SS109

500grains, how does this happen and where does the wear appear to be the worst at?

Thanks, Keith

Mung
05-21-10, 14:23
I've owned 4 Noveskes, all CL. My last outing I was hitting a 314 yard 18"x18" steel target EVERY TIME with my 14.5" lo-pro with only a Micro H-1 from prone. I know, that's not moa or anything, but accurate enough for me. I've got close to 4K rounds through them combined and not a single malfunction. So if I only had ONE it would be the N4 light.

Skyyr
05-21-10, 14:54
If you plan on just shooting 0-100yds on average, with an occasional 300yd shot, and your focus is on practical accuracy, I'd opt for the N4 with an Aimpoint.

If you want precision and the ability to make small 1-hole groups on a regular basis from 100-300yds, I'd go with the 16" Recon in Stainless. I have the same rifle, but with a NF 2.5-10x on it.

Unless you plan on rapid CQ shooting, you won't benefit from the purpose of the N4 barrels and you'll lose some accuracy. Conversely, if you're a precision shooter, you probably won't run the stainless hard enough to wear it out any faster than an N4. Also, you'll be able to reach out further than 300 if needed (500-600 with a good optic) with the Recon/Stainless.

Either way, I'd avoid the Afghan. Precision Stainless 14.5" barrel seems somewhat like an oxymoron. A jack of all trades is a master of none. Build a carbine for your specific purposes.

Eagle1*
05-21-10, 14:58
I kicked this same question around about a month ago before buying my first Noveske. I did not know which model of barrel to buy but after getting some forum member input on here and realizing that the CL version is a little lighter, I went with the N4 light basic rifle and have since bought another one. Yes, that is right, I have purchased 2 N4 light basic rifles in the last month. I have 300 rounds through the first one I bought and could not be happier!

These guns are truly a work of art and a masterpiece. It shoots far better than I ever could and I am really impressed. If I were you, you would be well served with the lighter chrome lined barrel from Noveske. The only thing to ad is that the Afghan barreled uppers are all midlength gas systems if that makes a difference to you..

TehLlama
05-21-10, 15:32
Unless you're putting match BTHP rounds or handloads through it, a floated 14.5" N4L with pinned vortex with be held back by your ammunition choice.

I really don't think that a CL barrel would be lacking, despite how much more mechanically accurate their SS barrels may be, to really need this you're talking about a different class of glass, and to get most of it you may want to get a longer barrel.

A 16" SS would be a great bench shooter, with some flexibility.
A 14.5" N4 would be a solid all around shooter, but gives up a bit at range when you're running match loads.

User Name
05-21-10, 15:40
Both barrels are accurate barrels. I own both SS and C/L barrels from Noveske. Unless you are shooting match ammunition and a variable powered scope you probably will never see the difference. For my only one I'd probably get an N4 light.

No Bananas
05-21-10, 19:29
I'm guessing the SS barrels have to have a reasonable degree of toughness because they make em in 7.5", 10.5" & 12.5" lengths. Those lengths aren't made for slow shooting from the bench.

Failure2Stop
05-21-10, 19:41
This post is not a comment on Noveske but rather a comment on the vulnerability of stainless steel barrels to SS109 steel core projectiles. If you plan to shoot green tip ammo (SS109) then there is really no choice but a CL barrel as SS wears quickly under the abuse of SS109.

Please provide your source for this information.
I have never seen any claim that SS109 wears any barrel faster than any other jacketed bullet, regardless of what lies under that jacket.

shootist~
05-21-10, 19:42
The N4 Light Reece will get you way past 300 Yds with good ammo. Checking out my newest reload (77gr SMK) using a 2.5-10x32 NF, I was 100% walking 5 shoots ea. out to 500 Meters yesterday; 6" plates at 200M, 8" at 300M, 12" at 385M and an 18" sq gong at 500M (~540 Yds).

The 500M gong was probably the easiest due to the size and shape. This combo was also scaring the hell out of a 6"x12" block of wood at 700M, but the damn thing kept ducking and dancing in the breeze. FWIW, mine is the Reece Basic with an Omega rail added later.

An 18" SPR-ish build is next on my list.

500grains
05-22-10, 01:10
Please provide your source for this information.
I have never seen any claim that SS109 wears any barrel faster than any other jacketed bullet, regardless of what lies under that jacket.

Info via PM until I have permission to post it.

No Bananas
05-22-10, 09:10
I kicked this same question around about a month ago before buying my first Noveske. I did not know which model of barrel to buy but after getting some forum member input on here and realizing that the CL version is a little lighter, I went with the N4 light basic rifle and have since bought another one. Yes, that is right, I have purchased 2 N4 light basic rifles in the last month. I have 300 rounds through the first one I bought and could not be happier!

These guns are truly a work of art and a masterpiece. It shoots far better than I ever could and I am really impressed. If I were you, you would be well served with the lighter chrome lined barrel from Noveske. The only thing to ad is that the Afghan barreled uppers are all midlength gas systems if that makes a difference to you..

It's just so hard to let go of the SS barrel idea. But, I'm thinking that if I get the N4 Light, I'll spend the extra $ on a Giselle Trigger to take full advantage of the N4's accuracy. :D

500grains
05-22-10, 09:56
I think you have made a wise choice. Later perhaps an 18" SS will fulfill your longer range needs.

RAM Engineer
05-22-10, 10:30

What's it say?

Mo_Zam_Beek
05-22-10, 12:45
I have an 18" SPR (SS / VIS / 4-16 Hensoldt) and a 16" N4 Switchblock (Short Dot). For an all around gun, get the N4 it is very accurate.

Here is 30 rounds from the N4 the other day @ 443 seated and slung with 1 - 1.5 MILs of wind hold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/conga68/today002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/conga68/today003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/conga68/ARPaint001.jpg

Good luck

TehLlama
05-22-10, 20:14
N4 and GSSA is the absolute worst choice you could possibly have made. There is no way you'll be going back. Enjoy your financial ruin.
Just please post pictures.

No Bananas
05-24-10, 17:52
From Tommy Boy

"I'm pickin' up on yer sarcasm."

bobbo
05-24-10, 18:00
N4 and GSSA is the absolute worst choice you could possibly have made. There is no way you'll be going back. Enjoy your financial ruin.
Just please post pictures.

But once you're sufficiently heartbroken, I think you'll be able to find a member or two here who would be willing to take it off your hands. (For a modest fee of course.) :D

TehLlama
05-25-10, 17:25
This might go better in your poll thread, BUT:

Consider if you're going to be getting just one, or a second.

If you're going to only have one Noveske upper, don't hesitate to make it a 16" SS unit.

If you'll have two down the road, get a 14.5" CL, and start planning for your inevitable 18" SS unit. - That's how I'd plan that out.

Molon
05-26-10, 09:56
Originally posted by 500grains:

This post is not a comment on Noveske but rather a comment on the vulnerability of stainless steel barrels to SS109 steel core projectiles. If you plan to shoot green tip ammo (SS109) then there is really no choice but a CL barrel as SS wears quickly under the abuse of SS109 . . .

Ooooh, more Secret Sqirrel information. I’m so impressed. Not! If you can’t post data to support your statement or at the very least name the source of the claim, then you’re just talking out of you’re a$$.

SS109 is a lead core bullet, with a steel penetrator in the ogive. The steel penetrator is completely covered by the copper/gilding metal jacket and the penetrator never comes into contact with the barrel.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/5vxpuc9bn6.jpg

JSantoro
05-26-10, 10:40
What's it say?

Metaphorically speaking, I'm guessing something analogous to this:
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5447/tinfoilhatc.jpg
Insert a word balloon that says "SS109 bulletz r teh kriptonite hurrrrrrrrr," and the message matches the medium, in terms of technical validity.

Which is to say, there's no technical validity to be had. Those rounds don't wear on an SS barrel in any way that sets them apart from any other round.