PDA

View Full Version : New Gat

Chadzillaa
05-21-10, 02:18
Hey guys,
It was my birthday last Sunday and I figured that there was no better gift to myself than a brand new M&P 9mm! :D It is my first handgun and I had been drooling over getting one for months. I put 100 rounds through her right after buying her (after a good clean and lube of course). I couldn't be happier. Here are some pics just as I got home from the range!
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/chadzillaa/DSCN1519.jpg
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/chadzillaa/DSCN1520.jpg
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/chadzillaa/DSCN1522.jpg
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/chadzillaa/DSCN1521.jpg

opmike
05-21-10, 02:24
Congrats on the purchase.

M&P's are DAMN fine handguns, and will serve you well.

GermanSynergy
05-21-10, 10:43
Congrats on a fine purchase! Make sure you fill out the form for a $50 rebate or two free mags before 31 May! :D

C4IGrant
05-21-10, 10:47
Nice. Enoy shooting it.

C4

GermanSynergy
05-21-10, 10:49
I'm doing the paperwork on mine on Tuesday, and will (hopefully) be writing a review of it about a week after that. Did you opt for the Apex DCAEK?

QuietShootr
05-21-10, 10:49
Great choice!!

Now, don't say "Gat" or "Clips" ever again.:D

jaxman7
05-21-10, 13:51
Ha ha agreed!! Every time I hear the word clip as in describing a magazine I think back to basic training and how many guys did push up after push up if they called a mag a clip! Enjoy your new M&P man. I love my 'comfortable Glock'!

Great choice!!

Safetyhit
05-21-10, 18:22
Now, don't say "Gat"... ever again.:D

Please. Never.

Nice gun.

Chadzillaa
05-21-10, 19:21
Oh guys, how I knew how I would get some flak for saying the g-a-t word. It was just in fun :D.

No Apex parts yet on the gun, Im going to wait and break it in a little further. I'm actually surprised that I like the trigger so much as is, given the mass amounts of negative reviews for it on this site.

skyugo
05-21-10, 19:24
Great choice!!

you guys never refer to your carry piece as your "heater" either i'm sure :o

"come on honey let's go!"
"hold on, lemme get my heater"

skyugo
05-21-10, 19:25
the apex trigger kit is freakin sweet. i highly recommend it. :cool:

bulbvivid
05-21-10, 20:39
Good choice.

I picked one up last December and liked the ergonomics but wasn't a fan of the trigger. I installed the Apex sear, and now the thing serves me well. For the price, you might want to think about giving it a try. I shoot mine in competition (outlaw IDPA and 3-gun), and when I first got it, my split times weren't that great compared to the gun I'd been shooting. My splits with my previous pistol (a Baby Eagle 9mm) were around .18-.20. When I got the M&P, they were around .23-.25, even after playing with it enough to get reasonably familiar with the gun. After the Apex sear, my splits went back down to .18 range, and during some practice the other day, I had some at .16. Definitely improved the gun for me and made me really enjoy shooting it.

Another thing I did was to shoot it for accuracy with each of the backstraps on. What feels best in the hand for you may not shoot the best for you.

fls9497
05-21-10, 23:10
I haven't heard the word "gat" in ages. In fact, last time I heard it was in a movie! lol. Good choice of a first handgun. Now shoot it, get familiarized with it.... then buy more guns! Enjoy.

Darkop
05-22-10, 01:03
Congrats on a fine purchase! Make sure you fill out the form for a $50 rebate or two free mags before 31 May! :D

Hmmm. Did I miss something? What is this rebate or magazine paperwork thing you speak of?

Until that day,
Darkop

Chadzillaa
05-22-10, 12:51
I sent the rebate in yesterday! I cant wait for those free mags to arrive.

jaxman7
05-22-10, 12:58
Bulbvivid what changes did you notice in point of aim, point of impact with the different backstraps? Thanks,

-Jax

Good choice.

I picked one up last December and liked the ergonomics but wasn't a fan of the trigger. I installed the Apex sear, and now the thing serves me well. For the price, you might want to think about giving it a try. I shoot mine in competition (outlaw IDPA and 3-gun), and when I first got it, my split times weren't that great compared to the gun I'd been shooting. My splits with my previous pistol (a Baby Eagle 9mm) were around .18-.20. When I got the M&P, they were around .23-.25, even after playing with it enough to get reasonably familiar with the gun. After the Apex sear, my splits went back down to .18 range, and during some practice the other day, I had some at .16. Definitely improved the gun for me and made me really enjoy shooting it.

Another thing I did was to shoot it for accuracy with each of the backstraps on. What feels best in the hand for you may not shoot the best for you.

citizensoldier16
05-22-10, 13:31
Hmmm. Did I miss something? What is this rebate or magazine paperwork thing you speak of?

Until that day,
Darkop

Darkop, check the link. $50 rebate or 2 free magazines with the purchase of any new M&P pistol.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757994_-1_757992_757992_image

SteveL
05-22-10, 14:15
Congrats on the new toy. I'm thinking of picking up one myself.

tommyk42
05-22-10, 14:39
Nice present! I got me the same thing for my birthday this year along with the Apex kit. Now I just ordered some Warren sights. I think its going to continue draining money from my account for as long as I have it.:D

Magsz
05-22-10, 15:03
Jak,

For me i noticed a very minimal point of impact shift. I tend to shoot slightly left no matter where i manipulate the trigger or how great of a press i have.

Within the last two months ive made the switch from the medium backstrap to the large backstrap and ive noticed a small shift towards the center of my aiming point.

Also, i shifted backstraps not because it repositioned my trigger finger on the trigger but because the large backstrap for me filled my hand better on the sides of the pistol grip and allowed me to better hold onto/crush the pistol during rapid fire strings.

With the small and medium straps there was too much dead space in between my hand and the frame on the sides of the pistol.

Bulbvivid what changes did you notice in point of aim, point of impact with the different backstraps? Thanks,

-Jax

jaxman7
05-22-10, 17:22
Magsz thanks again for the good advice man. I am going to hit the range tomorrow and I'll try out the large grip. I have large hands so it may work out well for me. I am in a transition period right now between carry handguns. I have been running 1911s for years so naturally the small grip feels best to me. Although like you mentioned there is alot of dead space with the small and even medium backstraps with my hands. Thanks again,

-Jax

Magsz
05-22-10, 17:40
No sweat dude, it may work and it may not.

Hands are just as unique as the fingerprints on them so what works for me may not work for you.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

jaxman7
05-22-10, 17:50
Will do!

Darkop
05-23-10, 14:19
Darkop, check the link. $50 rebate or 2 free magazines with the purchase of any new M&P pistol.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757994_-1_757992_757992_image

Thank you! I picked up an M&P 9mm a couple of weeks ago and need a couple of free mags. Filled out and sent in!

Thanks,
Darkop

RogerinTPA
05-23-10, 17:55
Oh guys, how I knew how I would get some flak for saying the g-a-t word. It was just in fun :D.

No Apex parts yet on the gun, Im going to wait and break it in a little further. I'm actually surprised that I like the trigger so much as is, given the mass amounts of negative reviews for it on this site.

The issue is that the triggers are hit or miss. Example, I have 2 M&Ps with good triggers (Nice clean resets, with smooth trigger pulls). I have two others, that the reset was indistinguishable, and the trigger pulls were rough and gritty. So much so that I dropped in 2 Apex sears. After dry firing and some range time, it was like shooting 2 completely different pistols. I have since installed Apex sear on the other two.

wes007
05-23-10, 19:26
I would also suggest getting it stippled somewhere via service or yourself.