PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Handgun Class - Oct. 7 & 8, 2006

VA_Dinger
07-20-06, 13:31
Class info:
- Advanced Handgun course
- Pure advanced handgun skills. How to shoot faster and more accurately.
- Instructors: Names will not be posted because of the nature of their work - Please contact me for details.
- 2 day class: 10/07/06 (Saturday) - 10/08/06 (Sunday)
- Class Size: 10-14 students.
- Location: South Hill, Virginia - (Private Range) - Directions will be provided during class sign up.
- Ammo: 800 per day – Dave wanted me to stress that we will be shooting this much. (1600 total)
- Cost: $300 per student

Accommodations: I will provide help in locating hotels in the area by emailing every student a detailed list, with locations and contact info.

Class requirements:
- Eye and ear protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)
- Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Serviceable holster
- Minimum 1 double handgun magazine pouch - two spare mags on body
- Minimum of 3 serviceable pistol magazines (5 is better)
– Ammo: 800 per day (1600 total)
- Good attitude

Current class roster:
(1.) Vinh "The Terminator"
(2.) Yrac
(3.) Bladerunner "The Colonel"
(4.) Va_Dinger
(5.) Chris914 "The Flasher"
(6.) Subzero
(7.) Aimless
(8.) Scuba_Ed
(9.) JC_
(10.) Mark B
(11.) Tim Y
(12.) ron556
(13.) gunboy3
(14.)

I have just one open seat for this class and it's getting close. Please contact me if your interested.

yrac
07-20-06, 13:45
David and Simon are both highly skilled instructors. My shooting abilities have improved tremendously over the last year, due in large part to my interactions with them. At $150/day, it's going to be tough to find a better training value. I'm looking forward to the class!

M4arc
07-20-06, 14:12
Can I ride with one of you guys from the hotel to the range and back?

VA_Dinger
07-20-06, 14:15
Can I ride with one of you guys from the hotel to the range and back?

Sure, $25 each way.

:D

M4arc
07-20-06, 14:20
Sure, $25 each way.

:D

:confused:

VA_Dinger
07-20-06, 14:26
:confused:

It was suppose to be a joke - It just wasn't funny.

It would be our pleasure to provide the In Famous M4arc a ride back & forth.

M4arc
07-20-06, 14:51
It was suppose to be a joke - It just wasn't funny.

It would be our pleasure to provide the In Famous M4arc a ride back & forth.

I know, I just wanted to make you feel guilty for giving me a razzing. Are you driving your own car out there or are you and yrac carpooling? I think the Colonel is staying in the same hotel as me.

Bladerunner
07-21-06, 22:11
I know, I just wanted to make you feel guilty for giving me a razzing. Are you driving your own car out there or are you and yrac carpooling? I think the Colonel is staying in the same hotel as me.

I would be happy to give you a ride to and from the range.

M4arc
07-22-06, 09:21
I would be happy to give you a ride to and from the range.

Thanks Colonel! Are you heading out to South Hill Friday or Saturday morning?

VA_Dinger
07-22-06, 15:19
The class will be starting at 10:00 AM Saturday morning, just in case anybody missed my email.

FYI- I also still have a few seats available.

I did not get my usual few months to set this one up (With Solid dates). One instructor deploys constantly and the other is on the road all the time. Getting them in one place at the same time has been hell, but it will be worth it for training of this high caliper & cheap price.

Anybody interested please contact me.

Bladerunner
07-25-06, 21:40
The class will be starting at 10:00 AM Saturday morning, just in case anybody missed my email.

FYI- I also still have a few seats available.

I did not get my usual few months to set this one up (With Solid dates). One instructor deploys constantly and the other is on the road all the time. Getting them in one place at the same time has been hell, but it will be worth it for training of this high caliper & cheap price.

Anybody interested please contact me.

Great, I can sleep in and have a good breakfast.

Any point in bringing a carbine to this course?

VA_Dinger
07-26-06, 08:39
Great, I can sleep in and have a good breakfast.

Any point in bringing a carbine to this course?

We are still one man short and that's IF your friend can make it. I'm going to give it a few more days and if we have not reached the eight student minimum, I will just try to push the class back a month or so. We had plenty of the "Normal" crew interested, but they could not make it work with such short notice.

I will keep everybody informed.

Keep checking M4carbine for updates because my work has gone nuts. Contacting me via my home email will suck until this cools down.

FYI - No need for the carbine in this class, it's purely handgun.

M4arc
07-26-06, 08:44
Just don't push it back to August 19/20 or September 16/17.

dubb-1
07-26-06, 13:24
I really wanted to get in on this. Unfortunately, I have to work, and I know Steve has Nationals all that week.:(

M4arc
07-26-06, 13:45
I really wanted to get in on this. Unfortunately, I have to work, and I know Steve has Nationals all that week.:(

If Dinger has to move it back you should try and make it.

If would be great to meet and train with you.

VA_Dinger
07-26-06, 15:47
Damian, we would love to have you & Steve in the class.

I will know soon if it's going to be pushed back or not. If it does get pushed back a month or so, we will certainly try to find a date that works for you guys.

Bladerunner
07-26-06, 19:11
We are still one man short and that's IF your friend can make it. I'm going to give it a few more days and if we have not reached the eight student minimum, I will just try to push the class back a month or so. We had plenty of the "Normal" crew interested, but they could not make it work with such short notice.

I will keep everybody informed.

Keep checking M4carbine for updates because my work has gone nuts. Contacting me via my home email will suck until this cools down.

FYI - No need for the carbine in this class, it's purely handgun.

Dinger

Assuming my friend isn't able to make it and leaves us 2 short, how about the remaining 8 of us split the delta for the tuition. That would come out to an additional $75 per person and would likely benefit us all in the reduced student to instructor ratio.

Anyone else up for this creative financing? I am in for the extra $75.

Bladerunner
07-26-06, 19:14
Thanks Colonel! Are you heading out to South Hill Friday or Saturday morning?

I am heading for South Hill Friday afternoon, but the time is flexible. I am in Tampa most of next week and will need part of Friday to just get my gear together if I don't get to it this weekend.

Vinh
07-26-06, 19:45
I am willing to put up the extra $75.

VA_Dinger
07-26-06, 19:49
$75 would not bother me.

yrac
07-26-06, 20:58
I'm good with the extra $75 as well.

VA_Dinger
07-27-06, 12:35
I have had several guys contact me that they will attend the class if it gets pushed back a month or so. The current class dates were just too short of notice.

I'm going to contact Dave and leave it up to him.

Bladerunner
07-27-06, 16:52
I have had several guys contact me that they will attend the class if it gets pushed back a month or so. The current class dates were just too short of notice.

I'm going to contact Dave and leave it up to him.

Its too bad, these dates worked out perfectly for me. I will have to see what my schedule looks like if we slide this for a month.

I am standing by for the outcome.

VA_Dinger
07-28-06, 11:32
I should hear from Dave this afternoon, so I will be contacting everybody tonight with an update.

VA_Dinger
07-28-06, 21:39
The new class dates are October 7th & 8th.

I will be updating this thread later on tonight, but I wanted to get this out quick for the guys wondering whats going on.

M4arc
07-29-06, 06:10
I'm out, I've already committed to do an adventure race in North Carolina that weekend :(

VA_Dinger
07-29-06, 10:54
I had three sign-ups today, so we have six seats still open for the new class dates.

**The new class has a maximum of fourteen students.***

VA_Dinger
08-10-06, 13:37
BTT- I'm down to just two open seats as of today.

We have 12/14 filled.

Please contact me if interested.

VA_Dinger
08-17-06, 22:57
With all the AK talk I had almost forgotten we still have two seats open for this class.

I highly suggest if you can make it to attend this class. You cannot buy better training than with these two guys. They are two of the very best.

Please contact me if your interested.

VA_Dinger
08-20-06, 16:48
I'm down to just one open seat available.

13/14 filled.

Please contact me if your interested.

VA_Dinger
08-27-06, 20:31
The last seat was just taken by a SWAT LEO out of Georgia.

This class is now full.

This should be one outstanding class. I look forward to seeing you guys in October.

VA_Dinger
09-01-06, 11:00
Two FBI agents were forced to pull out due to a deployment so those seats are available again.

Please contact me if you’re interested.

Current class roster:
(2.) Yrac
(4.) Va_Dinger
(6.) Subzero
(7.) Aimless
(8.) Scuba_Ed
(9.) JC_
(10.) Mark B
(11.) Tim Y
(12.) ron556
(13.)
(14.)

VA_Dinger
09-03-06, 19:58
I would like to say "Welcome Aboard" to gunboy3. He just took seat #13 in the class.

Current class roster:
(2.) Yrac
(4.) Va_Dinger
(6.) Subzero
(7.) Aimless
(8.) Scuba_Ed
(9.) JC_
(10.) Mark B
(11.) Tim Y
(12.) ron556
(13.) gunboy3
(14.) Ed

I have just one open seat for this class and it's getting close. Please contact me if your interested.

VA_Dinger
09-12-06, 19:21
FYI - It's getting close to "Last Call".

One seat is still available.

Please contact me if interested.

subzero
10-02-06, 17:18
Just a few more days! After checking out my ammo situation it looks like I'll be doing half of the class with a G19, the other half with my 1911. Couldn't have planned it any better.

Bladerunner
10-05-06, 17:50
Saturday is going to be very wet!!!

Vinh
10-05-06, 19:01
I like shooting in the rain!

My YoBo is in for repair and my Pro has a faulty ignition, so I'll be clearing malfunctions all weekend long... may have to use the USP if it gets too bad. :(

VA_Dinger
10-05-06, 21:39
I'm shooting the whole class with my G19. :eek:

Vihn, your new Pro has "Issues"?

VA_Dinger
10-06-06, 15:49
The class is a go for tomorrow.

Unfortunately I just found out I have to work at least Saturday. Hopefully I can drive down and still make it to Sunday. My work has been crazy for the past month and even though I had this weekend worked out months ago the situation demands that I work. I know many of you are aware of my horrible work schedule and infamous short notice changes of plans. Like it or not, it’s part of my job.

This sucks to say the least. To say I'm having a bad week would be an understatement.

Good luck, and I hope to see you guys on Sunday.

JC_
10-07-06, 06:42
Traveling home (to Indiana) from St. Louis (work) today... Mark is out as well as I was supposed grab our gear in Indiana on my way thru and pick him up in South Jersey (work) Yesterday...

I hope the class goes well, there is no way I (we) can make it.

Josh

VA_Dinger
10-07-06, 07:19
Traveling home (to Indiana) from St. Louis (work) today... Mark is out as well as I was supposed grab our gear in Indiana on my way thru and pick him up in South Jersey (work) Yesterday...

I hope the class goes well, there is no way I (we) can make it.

Josh

Bad weather flying and a tight schedule sucks. One delayed flight and everything down the toilet.

Let's hope it works out better for the December Vickers class.

BlackFox
10-07-06, 08:31
So did you guys do the course today? I just saw this thread, or I would have signed up. It may have been just as well since it's raining about 1/2" an hour in Richmond right now and I know enough about the location to know this much rain + clay = :eek: I'm hoping you reschedule, as I'd like to attend....

VA_Dinger
10-07-06, 22:27
So did you guys do the course today? I just saw this thread, or I would have signed up. It may have been just as well since it's raining about 1/2" an hour in Richmond right now and I know enough about the location to know this much rain + clay = :eek: I'm hoping you reschedule, as I'd like to attend....

The class went off as planned.

I talked to Yrac tonight. Everything is going well, even the rain held off for the most part. I cannot wait till we hear back from everybody else.

subzero
10-09-06, 10:38
We got pretty lucky when it came to the weather. While the ground turned into a nice red slush from the targets to the 7 yard line, we were able to stay relatively dry through the weekend. We fired in the neighborhood of 1400 rounds. I was very pleased to see that the skills from classes earlier this year were holding up quite well.

Paul, you are the man. Without your initiative and hard work, I'd still be where I was at the beginning of the year. Dave, Simon, Larry and Tom have all helped tremendously, but I never would have met any of them if you didn't put these classes together. I can't thank you enough.

VA_Dinger
10-09-06, 12:46
We got pretty lucky when it came to the weather. While the ground turned into a nice red slush from the targets to the 7 yard line, we were able to stay relatively dry through the weekend. We fired in the neighborhood of 1400 rounds. I was very pleased to see that the skills from classes earlier this year were holding up quite well.

Paul, you are the man. Without your initiative and hard work, I'd still be where I was at the beginning of the year. Dave, Simon, Larry and Tom have all helped tremendously, but I never would have met any of them if you didn't put these classes together. I can't thank you enough.

Thanks Tom, I'm just glad the class went well.

Trust me, it was killing me being at work and missing the class.

Pure torture.

I cannot wait to read some reviews. Did anybody take any pictures?

Bladerunner
10-09-06, 15:10
Paul

As Tom said, we all owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude for serving as the Virginia "unofficial" firearms training coordinator.

The instruction was superb with lots of one on one coaching from Simon and Dave. The quality of the students was high (without exception), which served as a powerful motivator for me, but without a lot of huge ego's. It was a great training environment without pressure or fear of embarassment.

The weather held for us, without a lot of rain. However, I think everything I own is coated with orange South Hill mud.

It's great to be shooting with a lot of the same guys at each class, well over half of the class was either at the Blackwater Class (May 2005) and the Mar 2006,10-8 Class (with David).

There were a couple of "duh!!" moments for me regarding targets. One money saving tip, I have never thought about using paper plates and index cards, instead of paying $.50 apiece for targets.

You were missed.

Bladerunner
10-09-06, 21:30
Thanks Tom, I'm just glad the class went well.

Trust me, it was killing me being at work and missing the class.

Pure torture.

I cannot wait to read some reviews. Did anybody take any pictures?

Paul

Because of the high round count (loading magazines) and the fast pace, there wasn't a lot of time for photograpy. I normally get at least a dozen or so at classes, but didn't take a single photo this time. I think one of Simon's colleagues took a lot of photo's the first day, but I didn't see anyone taking pictures yesterday.

ron556
10-10-06, 19:29
hi paul,

real shame i never got to meet you this past weekend, but i'd be remiss for not thanking you for coordinating a great training class. there is always next class!

it was great meeting the other guys and was an honor + pleasure to train with them; as stated before, the caliber of student was extremely high- as one of the few "noobs," i had to run twice as fast to keep up with the class [i definitely had the least amount of training and was the farthest behind the curve compared to my fellow classmates].

however, i'd have to say that although challenging and at times almost discouraging [in my own abilities, NOT the training], it was extremely rewarding. simon and dave are outstanding instructors; they are what everyone hopes firearms instructors should be: superbly professional, honest + [of course] highly skilled. on top of that, they were fantastic teachers, not just "good shooters." you can't put a price on that quality. they were generous with their time, giving each student honest feedback + individualized attention that was useful and garnered poistive results. i felt that they took ample time during the course to coach each student, even giving extra time to students [like me] that needed a bit of extra assistance. most importantly, they were able to analyze problems and address them, so i would know what to NOT do.

in my opinion, this was an outstanding class coupled by excellent instruction and excellent students. safety was never really an issue and i felt comfortable with the way all firearms were handled on the range [this goes without saying, as it was an advanced course].

the fact that it was basically a marksmanship practice session was all the more valuable to me. the fundamentals [trigger control, in particular] emphasized that were not only vital to following each evolution in the class, but were principles that are paramount to good shooting in any environment: be it competition, tactical situations, self-defense, etc. since i have never been formally instructed in trigger manipulation, it was an eye-opening and sobering experience. fortunately, those basic concepts will carry over to my individual training and practice and will eventually lead to better, more consistent shooting [after much practice!].

another aspect that made the class such a rewarding experience is the fact that it brought me out of my "comfort zone." much of the techniques reinforced and taught this weekend were very new to me, thus required unyielding concentration and thought on my part. some of it was almost overwhelming, but the structure of the class and simon/dave's expertise and "building block" approach made the lessons easier to assimilate. my hat is off to them, because my approach to practice and training has certainly been changed for the better.

i guess i've rambled on long enough. suffice to say, i was so impressed with the level of instruction that i approached simon + dave about coming to charlottesville to teach a similar class at my local rifle club. hopefully, we can work something out and they will be able to impart their knowledge to some of our own members.

thanks again for organizing a great class and i hope to meet you at another training session in the near future. maybe the weather will agree this time, eh?

ron

chris914
10-10-06, 20:04
Paul, we all owe you. If it were not for your efforts we would all be sitting around thinking that we were doing things the "right" way instead of being introduced to fine instructors like Dave, Simon, Tom, and Larry. The class was typical of a Dave class. Excellent instruction with no bull. I would like to thank everyone who participated in the class. I had a great time shooting with all the old standbys and the new guys as well. I can't wait for the next one. My mag loading thumb is still sore though. I think for the next one I will shoot from the 33rnd mags. Less time spent loading mags.:D

Vinh
10-11-06, 17:50
Paul,

Thank you for setting up the class! You were definitely missed. As always, the instruction was excellent.

gunboy3
12-22-06, 11:11
I found the class very helpful and am interested in future instruction from the team. One of our classmates took some pics, I was hoping to see them. Maybe he could post them. Thanks

VA_Dinger
12-22-06, 16:07
I found the class very helpful and am interested in future instruction from the team. One of our classmates took some pics, I was hoping to see them. Maybe he could post them. Thanks

Email me the photos.

I will post them for you.