PDA

View Full Version : >>>>>>>> HELP <<<<<<<<

MAGFED308
05-18-07, 10:02
I NEED SOME ASSISTANCE IN DECIDING ON A REPLACEMENT BARREL FOR MY AR15

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR IS SOMETHING AS ACCURATE OR REEEAL CLOSE TO THE BARREL I'VE GOT NOW. THE REASON I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THE ONE I GOT NOW IS IT'S JUST TO HEAVY TO BE LUGGING AROUND.

FOR ALL INTENSE PURPOSES WE'LL SAY MY PLATFORM IS A 1/2 MIN RIFLE, BUT SHE'LL SHOOT 1/4 MIN CONSISTENTLY, (WITH MATCH AMMO), AND I'D LIKE TO MAINTAIN THAT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

THE BARRELS A BOAT ANCHOR AND I HATE TO HAVE TO DO IT BUT IF ANYONE HAS
ANY SUGGESTIONS I AM WIDE OPEN.

HERES SOME PICS OF THE CURRENT STATE OF MY AR15

AND THE GROUPS ARE 200YRD GROUPS

THANKS IN ADVANCE

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/kwackerb279/DSC02663.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/kwackerb279/DSC02660.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/kwackerb279/DSC02893.jpg

UVvis
05-18-07, 11:38
What length is your current set up?

I'd suggest you get Krieger service rifle barrel. It is a lighter profile than what you have now and will save some weight, but should still be a shooter.

That or you could have your barrel turned down to make it weight less too.

What are you looking for exactly?

1SFG
05-18-07, 12:10
don't take this as being rude - but i'm in the suck it up camp. if it's shooting good and looks good, keep on trucking. unless you're out doing 40 mile rucks with this thing, sling it and consider it part of your workout.

ffhounddog
05-18-07, 12:19
What barrel do you have now? Is it a Varmit or a HBAR? HBARs are good to go Varmit Rifles are a pain to lug around.

KevinB
05-18-07, 14:14
1) a 3rd group really does not tell much, so much so that I discount them - 5rds is the min for (and you can't discount fliers then) and 10rds is the reasonable avg for a group to determine how your rifle shoots.

2) Its rude to type in caps

3) Have you thought about sending your barrel in to get turned down? Several smiths will do that.

As far a good barrels go
Noveske, Douglas, Llija, Shilen and I am sure others make good barrels too.

MAGFED308
05-18-07, 22:22
1) a 3rd group really does not tell much, so much so that I discount them - 5rds is the min for (and you can't discount fliers then) and 10rds is the reasonable avg for a group to determine how your rifle shoots.

2) Its rude to type in caps

3) Have you thought about sending your barrel in to get turned down? Several smiths will do that.

As far a good barrels go
Noveske, Douglas, Llija, Shilen and I am sure others make good barrels too.

Hmmm, normally when I go shooting, especially at 200 or more yards I fill up the back of a 300 yrd target (because its kinda far to keep walking back and forth) with small dots and shoot 3 to 5 round groups consecutively until the magazines is empty and the targets are full (no letting the barrel cool down). does this count???????

sorry about the caps

the barrel is a Douglas 1/8 22in SS

What barrel do you have now? Is it a Varmit or a HBAR? HBARs are good to go Varmit Rifles are a pain to lug around.

The barrels a Douglas Grade SS 1/8 22in

What length is your current set up?

I'd suggest you get Krieger service rifle barrel. It is a lighter profile than what you have now and will save some weight, but should still be a shooter.

That or you could have your barrel turned down to make it weight less too.

What are you looking for exactly?

what I'm looking for is something lighter.

now if you say i can have it turn down, does this mean the diameter of the barrel will be redused, or are you refering to flutting. either way sounds good to me cause I love this barrel. any idea what somthing like this might cost????

SuicideHz
05-18-07, 22:37
It's "all intents and purposes..."

;)

MAGFED308
05-18-07, 22:43
It's "all intents and purposes..."

;)

AND????? your point is ????

I'm looking for advice, not corrections in my spelling or if I forgot a word

SuicideHz
05-18-07, 22:52
You've already been told not to type in all caps. Just thought I'd throw that in theretoo.

Besides, t's not that you mispelled a word- it's that you are using a phrase and have no idea what words belong in it.

MAGFED308
05-18-07, 23:17
You've already been told not to type in all caps. Just thought I'd throw that in theretoo.

Besides, t's not that you mispelled a word- it's that you are using a phrase and have no idea what words belong in it.

O well, I thought I might get a little assistance from some knowledgeable folks out there, didn't know i was back in school learning how to form sentences.

My point, who cares, I already apologized for the caps, so if you don't know anything about what I'm asking about, please, find another guy in another thread to harass.:p

SuicideHz
05-18-07, 23:38
Hey, everyone's got to learn to start forming sentences correctly at some point in time!

The last guy who accused me of harassing him got a phonecall from his local police department this week advising him to shut his trap. Some of you know who I'm talking about ;)

You have a pretty good barrel and it's long so it's feasible to expect as good or better performance out of a shorter barrel.

Maybe you can try different ammunition though. That PMC 52gr stuff can't possibly be the best stuff out there...

MAGFED308
05-18-07, 23:47
Hey, everyone's got to learn to start forming sentences correctly at some point in time!

The last guy who accused me of harassing him got a phonecall from his local police department this week advising him to shut his trap. Some of you know who I'm talking about ;)

You have a pretty good barrel and it's long so it's feasible to expect as good or better performance out of a shorter barrel.

Maybe you can try different ammunition though. That PMC 52gr stuff can't possibly be the best stuff out there...

No your right, it's the cheapest/best stuff out there, through this barrel anyway.

I shoot mostly 308 so most of the $ goes there

Are you suggesting I cut the barrel down or get a shorter barrel

oh, and I really don't care about how I form my sentences, as long as my rifles shoot straight, thats good enough for me:D :D :D

Rifleman_04
05-19-07, 04:18
Hey man learn to expect that around here. you will never just get an answer. It will be an answer plus some smart ass "im obviously better than you" comment. You will have people being critical about every word you type.

KevinB
05-19-07, 05:56
Hey man learn to expect that around here. you will never just get an answer. It will be an answer plus some smart ass "im obviously better than you" comment. You will have people being critical about every word you type.

I offered a polite comment about internet ettiquette. I hardly think that is a smart assed comment. Furthermore I answered his question. But you are right on the point that Joseph was being a little anal on the english diction. However how you communicate your posts can also determine how you are taken by readers. For me I find it hard that someone who cannot take the time to attempt to use the language properly will likley not take the time to handload accurately -- but I am digressing at the topic at hand.

MAGFED -- the problem with shooting 3 and 5rd groups - and not a 10 rd group sat the same point of aim is you are giving yourself an incorrect sample size. For a proper medium group the requirement for a valid sample would be 30 rds (dont ask me why -- Its just that N=30 bit I remember from a stats class at college -- some one who was not an Army guy can probably give you the proper mathamatical rational for it). Over on ARF.com there is a thread on the problem with 5 shot groups - and the poster give a very insightful rational for eveything -- which jibed with what I can remember from stats and also some higher level marksmanship elsewhere.

Since your barrel is still good - I would recommend that you keep it. If you really want it lightened - there are a number of smiths than can turn it down to a lighter weight profile for you. Failing all of that several of the dealers here can build you a very accurate upper as well.

-Kev

C4IGrant
05-19-07, 08:20
Back to barrels.

I personally like Noveske barrels and I also like the Loather Walther SS barrels. Both shoot very well and can be had with middy gas systems.

C4

Noveske RECON
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/MUR%20LT%2012%20Recon.JPG

C4IGrant
05-19-07, 08:21

I would actually disagree with your statement. There is more high quality information on this forum than anywhere else on the internet.

C4

ccoker
05-19-07, 08:24
Grant,
are you available to chat about a custom build?

C4IGrant
05-19-07, 08:26
Grant,
are you available to chat about a custom build?

Yes I am. I haven't had a full cup of coffee yet so no gurantee what I might say. :D

C4

ccoker
05-19-07, 08:41
I shot you an email yesterday afternoon, got a sec to pull it up?

MAGFED308
05-19-07, 10:22
Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far,
I (think) I understand the group thing, so I'll try it out and range report back, fair enough.

You guys probably shouldn't show me to many pictures of stuff like that Noveske Recon cause it just makes me want to go buy it (very nice upper):D :D :D, no really turning the barrel down sounds like something I am willing to try but if I did that would I lose alot of accuracy if I cut a couple of inches off and had it recrowned as well?????

C4IGrant
05-19-07, 10:31
Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far,
I (think) I understand the group thing, so I'll try it out and range report back, fair enough.

You guys probably shouldn't show me to many pictures of stuff like that Noveske Recon cause it just makes me want to go buy it (very nice upper):D :D :D, no really turning the barrel down sounds like something I am willing to try but if I did that would I lose alot of accuracy if I cut a couple of inches off and had it recrowned as well?????

You have a bull barrel and the weight of course helps you shoot better groups. The problem with it is that it is only good at one thing. So can your groups open up if you make that barrel lighter? Yes they can.

Personally speaking, I would leave it setup as your varmint rig and build another weapon that is more geared towards defense.

C4