PDA

View Full Version : If you could get an Armalite M15 A2 for $700, what would you do?

Skyyr
05-21-10, 15:37
I've found a brand new Armalite M15 A2 M4 for $699 (basically a 16" pencil barrel upper with an A2 upper receiver and FSB - MSRP is $1,050 and it retails for $949). Aside from staking and HPT/MPI, it's relatively good to go. I'm thinking about getting it for a birthday present for a friend, showing up at his place for his birthday, taking him to the range under the premise that we'll go plinking with my Noveske, and then present it to him there.

For $699, would you:

1) Buy it, fix its shortcomings, and use it?
2) Buy it, then attempt to trade-up / eventually sell it to fund another gun?
3) Pass completely and put the $700 towards a BCM or similar.

I know there are better rifles out there, but for $700, it seems like a good, solid gun at a steal of a price. It also is keeps me from investing too much into something that they may not like themselves. Any insights are welcome.

thopkins22
05-21-10, 16:02
So...what kind of relationship do you have with this "friend?" I must only have acquaintances because the only people to buy me a rifle were my grandfather and father.

Will you be my friend?:p

Skyyr
05-21-10, 16:08
So...what kind of relationship do you have with this "friend?" I must only have acquaintances because the only people to buy me a rifle were my grandfather and father.

Will you be my friend?:p

Haha... actually it's my little brother. I consider him a best friend first and foremost, and a brother after the fact. Plus, simply saying "my friend" saves me from coming across as some mushy family type of guy.

I was originally going to get him a handgun (it's his 21st birthday next month), but he keeps telling me how much he enjoys going to the range and shooting my AR, so when I found this, I started to consider getting him an AR.

Aray
05-21-10, 16:15
Buy it, he'll get to use it while he saves the rest of the money for a 'chart friendly' gun.

Skyyr
05-21-10, 16:20
Buy it, he'll get to use it while he saves the rest of the money for a 'chart friendly' gun.

Actually it only differs from the Armalite A4 already listed on the chart in that it has a retractable stock and A2 upper receiver. The few points it is lacking in can be self-done: staking, h2 buffer, and replacement of the handguards. The bolt and barrel not being HPT/MPI'd can't really be fixed, but it'll be a range gun in that respect and not too important.

tracker722
05-21-10, 17:00

Failure2Stop
05-21-10, 18:24
I didn't vote, and here's why:
The gun is intended to be a gift, so therefore the question really is:

Would you take an M15 for free?

To which I would respond,"YES".

Skyyr
05-21-10, 19:41
I didn't vote, and here's why:
The gun is intended to be a gift, so therefore the question really is:

Would you take an M15 for free?

To which I would respond,"YES".

I guess my main reason for the poll wasn't to see if it would be a nice gift, but rather if you (meaning anyone reading the thread) would spend the $700 on an Armalite... or spend an extra hundred for a Spikes... or save up and spend an extra $300-400 for a BCM or Noveske.

While there's undoubtedly "nicer" rifles, the next grade up would be a BCM for roughly $300-$350 more (a 50% increase in cost). The Armalite doesn't skimp in the materials portion of their weapons and most of their shortcomings are easily fixed, such as staking and replacing of the buffer. I think it's a good deal, a quality starter rifle, and a great do-it-all KISS rifle and I'm trying to see if I'm alone in that regards.

While I would definitely go all out if I could, my funds are limited. If it's a good rifle for a good price, then I'm all in. However I have no personal experience with Armalite aside from the chart and their reputation, hence this thread =)

tracker722
05-21-10, 19:45

Skyyr
05-21-10, 19:46
Refer to previous post.

Tracker

Roger :D

jaygee
05-21-10, 21:43
ArmaLite is not the end of the world....I have a middy from a couple years back that has been
outstanding. There were items which I thought needed replaced, but others may not have
agreed with. None of these were performance related, except to add weight to the BC....
which I did well after the fact. :)

SteveL
05-21-10, 21:50
I'm no expert, but IMO if it's just a simple matter of having some small things done like staking and a buffer tube changed, then I say get it and tell him "happy birthday".

Blankwaffe
05-21-10, 22:13
For that kinda money I say buy it,check all the staking,drop an H buffer in it then go shoot and enjoy.Ive owned Armalites for years now and they are verygood and accurate weapons.Customer service is excellent and so is the warranty if that matters to you.
Excellent weapon for that kinda money,and responds well to upgrades.Later on if yall want a better BCG(I personally have a BCG fetish) then go for it.Replace the springs etc. as you go.
For that kinda money,if you don't buy it tell me where and I'll buy it.

Cagemonkey
05-22-10, 09:08
Buy it. Keep the lower and sell or consign the upper. Then buy a BCM upper and have a new rifle.

500grains
05-22-10, 10:00
Buy it, shoot it 2 K rounds, find out what you don't like about it, then upgrade to something which better suits your preferences.

500grains
05-22-10, 10:07
Buy it, shoot it 2 K rounds, find out what you don't like about it, then upgrade to something which better suits your preferences.

PlatoCATM
05-22-10, 10:44
What's wrong with giving him enough for this rifle, and then telling him he could have this, or he could have one that matches what he hopes to do with it (if that is something more than this one) with a little bit of his own funds. You're still giving him a rifle, basically, and he has the opportunity to buy what he thinks he wants--because it will probably change as his skills or intentions change. Might seem lame, but as you said, funds are limited. Plus it may keep him from seeing it as a safe queen and just shoot the shit out of it, which is what i'm sure you hope he does.

Failure2Stop
05-22-10, 12:31
Have you checked the EE here? There are some great uppers available for way below retail.

To directly answer your question, since you didn't like my first one, no- I would not buy an ArmaLite, then again I have no need for one since I already have caipable ARs.