PDA

View Full Version : PMAGS or USGI Mags

ffhounddog
05-18-07, 11:31
I am in the Market for 10 Mags in the Next 2 months. Should I look at PMAGs or USGI Mags. I have 4 PMAGS on backorder but I do not mind getting 10 more if I find them.

1SFG
05-18-07, 12:12
only handled the pmag at SHOT but feedback from real deal users/trainers indicates that it is at least on par with USGI mags (and with a better follower) and more than likely out performs USGI mags. for training and potential hard use and the generally accepted quality of magpul's work, i'd say go with the magpul.

ffhounddog
05-18-07, 12:22
Thank 1st Sgt. I will look at the PMAGs more. Black or OD Green for me. My favorite color is OD Green so if i could just get 10 more OD Green ones I would be set. :D

Jay Cunningham
05-18-07, 12:31
I recently got some block 2 PMags from Grant - I have not yet run these through a class, but I'm more or less a believer. In fact I think these make every other mag out there obsolete.

It's funny it took us so long to get a decent polymer mag when they've been available for AK's for a long time...

Heavy Metal
05-18-07, 14:52
I recently got some block 2 PMags from Grant - I have not yet run these through a class, but I'm more or less a believer. In fact I think these make every other mag out there obsolete.

It's funny it took us so long to get a decent polymer mag when they've been available for AK's for a long time...

The problem with making the for the AR that the AK did not have was the AR design mandated the feed lips must be thin so there was no room for a steel insert like on the AK mags.

The Thermolds came close to doing what we wanted 20 years ago. I am looking forward to my PMAGS.

losbronces
05-18-07, 16:16
My son had this to say:

The Magpul magazines are actually my favorite, because they are lighter and fit snugger than anything else. I even did a few things that are known to cause double feeds just to see if they would, and even moving the magazine during high rates of fire didn't cause a jam.

He also has the expensive H&K mags as well as various others. I won't have an opportunity to test them until the end of June. But I take his comment as a good recommendation and I've ordered some more Magpul mags.

C4IGrant
05-18-07, 17:20
I have owned all sorts of USGI mags, SS mags, Thermolds and HK mags. The PMAGS are my mag of choice and what I am using. I also just complete the Vickers/Hackathorn low light class with them and they functioned perfectly.

C4

Hawkeye
05-18-07, 22:41
Pmags. Period.

utarch00
05-19-07, 14:52
Pmags. Period.

agree +2

Code3Patriot
05-19-07, 16:03
Believe the hype. PMags.

baffle Stack
05-19-07, 20:46
Wow I knew Magpul was good but dang.

MikeCLeonard
05-20-07, 02:12
If you haven't seen them already...Do a search on youtube.com for pmag test. It's worth the watch.

NickB
05-20-07, 02:53
How long until your backordered PMAGs are shipped? I suggest waiting until you get your 4 PMAGs, do some torture testing of your own, and buy what works best; Magpul, HK, USGI, or otherwise. Just make sure to let Drake know why if you decide not to go with PMAGs!

baffle Stack
05-20-07, 03:01
Yeah I’ve seen that. Its cool I guess. It would be a lot cooler if they shot the mag after instead of hand cycling.

baffle Stack
05-20-07, 03:07
so who here as put more than... oh lets say 1500 rounds through one?, besides nick;)

NickB
05-20-07, 03:08
so who here as put more than... oh lets say 1500 rounds through one?, besides nick;)

:p Where's Stickman? :D

baffle Stack
05-20-07, 03:19
Its not that I don't think your mags are the heat, If they're on par with the rest of your stuff I'm sure they're almost revolutionary. But Still I'd like to hear some real life shit from some trigger pullers. Beta testers are good too. :D Stickman teased us enough before shot its the least he can do:p

NickB
05-20-07, 03:25
Its not that I don't think your mags are the heat, If they're on par with the rest of your stuff I'm sure they're almost revolutionary. But Still I'd like to hear some real life shit from some trigger pullers. Beta testers are good too. :D Stickman teased us enough before shot its the least he can do:p

What can I say? Stickman is a bastard. Do a little Google search - something new was announced in the last couple days...;)

baffle Stack
05-20-07, 03:45
you're just as bad as Stickman. Do you have a link? My GooFu is kinda weak at 2am.

KevinB
05-22-07, 10:26
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/Recce-Iraq030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/Recce-Iraq029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/RRI.jpg

I'm waiting for the TAN/Coyote Windowed PMAG
*If you need an Iraqi based testor... :D

Plus come on look at my rifle -- I'm like Rich's posterchild...

ffhounddog
05-22-07, 10:59
Nick what is new?

The Magpul Level Magazine?

The Vinal Magpul Sticker?

I just want to know without the goofoo because my goofoo is weak while I am at work.

C4IGrant
05-22-07, 11:09

I have.

C4

NickB
05-22-07, 12:12
Nick what is new?

The Magpul Level Magazine?

The Vinal Magpul Sticker?

I just want to know without the goofoo because my goofoo is weak while I am at work.

I don't want to hijack his thread, but read this: http://defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1011

ffhounddog
05-22-07, 12:38
That is so Yesterday. :D

I have seen pictures and read about it a few days ago.

I wonder if it could be considered a Pistol so I can own one without a tax stamp.

RogerinTPA
05-22-07, 16:27
Try www.texastacticalgear.com Has them in stock. I ordered 13 mags last week and got them today. OD and Flat dark earth won't be in for another month.

baffle Stack
05-22-07, 18:59
I guess I'm going to have to pick up a few.

Hawkeye
05-22-07, 19:41
Try www.texastacticalgear.com Has them in stock. I ordered 13 mags last week and got them today. OD and Flat dark earth won't be in for another month.

FDE mags are already out.

cqbdriver
05-22-07, 19:53
I got some FDE PMAGs last week & fired 200 rds through 3 of the mags
http://www.hunt101.com/img/496412-big.jpg

I had trouble with the 03/07 date mags (some refer to these as Gen I). However, I have fired over 1200 rds through the later date PMAGs without any problems.

DrDrake
05-29-07, 13:23
I've got around 12k through the PMAG if it counts.;)

baffle Stack
05-29-07, 15:51
Hell yes that counts! It's just hard to see the USGI mag get beat. It goes against all I've learned for the last 5 years 8-O

Harv
05-29-07, 21:53
Are OD mags avaialble yet....I gotta have OD... it's my color.....:D

Submariner
05-30-07, 08:29

OD Krylon on black KAC covers, too. Right, Harv?

If Harv's buying, I guess I'm in, too. Gotta sell some stuff first.

Hawkeye
05-30-07, 08:38

I prefer to be an FDE snob myself. :cool:

But I guess OD is better than black. :p

Hawkeye
05-30-07, 08:39
OD Krylon on black KAC covers, too. Right, Harv?

If Harv's buying, I guess I'm in, too. Gotta sell some stuff first.

Oh...so what am I, liverwurst?

:p

cqbdriver
05-30-07, 09:50

A local store had OD mags dropped off by UPS man while I was there. I picked up some, but I'm not sure why :D

Akoni
05-30-07, 10:07
The problem with making the for the AR that the AK did not have was the AR design mandated the feed lips must be thin so there was no room for a steel insert like on the AK mags.

Bingo! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PMAGS do not have a steel insert. Thus you have to put the "cap" on it to keep loaded mags from spreading the lips....sorta like a chastity belt for virgins. Or is this not the case?

DrDrake
05-30-07, 10:55
OD's are out now.

We've got mag's in house that have been loaded for three+ months without the cover and no dementional changes to the mag. The cover is for LONG term storage. Trunk guns and go bags will see the most use od the covers.

Bingo! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PMAGS do not have a steel insert. Thus you have to put the "cap" on it to keep loaded mags from spreading the lips....sorta like a chastity belt for virgins. Or is this not the case?

C4IGrant
05-30-07, 11:05

Have some in stock if interested and offer QTY discounts.

C4

ffhounddog
05-30-07, 12:26
I just had to change my order to Black from OD green. I should have waited. When will the Foilage Green be out?

I know someone out there is doing free shipping on $50.00 or more I need to find them.

Larry Vickers
05-30-07, 13:10
I have bought 3 new PMAGS to test/try over the next several carbine classes - I am going to run these exclusively for awhile and see what the results are - I have liked what I have seen so far based on the PMAG's I have had in recent classes (Grant's included)

The jury is still out but early results look good for this mag- it could very well become 'THE' AR magazine to use - above all others

Sincerely

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com

mmike87
05-31-07, 11:58
I received four the other day. Have not used them yet, but I was most impressed with the rigidity of the polymer material. The stuff, whatever it is, seems very strong. No wonder you can run over them with a truck.

John_Wayne777
05-31-07, 12:54
Well...I guess I need some PMags now....

Harv
06-01-07, 06:31
C4IGrant

Have some in stock if interested and offer QTY discounts.

You da man..PM Inbound

Pat_Rogers
06-01-07, 07:05
I have 16 PMags- 2 are the newer version.
I have a fair amount of rounds downrange in them (myself and the students i loaned them out to), with most over 1k rds.
I have used them in rain, dust, heat and so forth (to include using three mags that were contaminated by a jar of skin moisturizer that found its way into a mag bag and promptly broke- grrrr....)

I haven't had any problems with them. 16 is an insignificant statistical sample to be sure, and i don't suffer the magazine drama that some are prone to, so i may not be a good representative for this.
I had one student who had several of his own mags and he did have a problem with one.

However, they lock up smartly in my guns (Colt, LMT, Noveske, SLR), can take 30 rds on a closed bolt, and work as advertised.
I'm impressed so far.

Dport
06-01-07, 08:49
I'm waiting for the nearly clear versions, but I'm encouraged to see they'll be used by two very demanding firearms instructors.

I can't wait to see more feedback.

Harv
06-01-07, 10:10
Pat Rogers

(to include using three mags that were contaminated by a jar of skin moisturizer that found its way into a mag bag and promptly broke- grrrr....)

I hope that was not YOUR Moisturizer..............;)