PDA

View Full Version : Happy birthday 'Empire Strikes Back!'

Rightful Liberty
05-21-10, 21:59
I can remember going to see this in the movies as a kid, like it was yesterday.... We, went 3 times. To me the best out of all the movies.

Happy birthday 'Empire Strikes Back!'

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/05/happy-birthday-empire-strikes-back.html

It was 30 years ago today that "The Empire Strikes Back" was released in theaters. I was a wee lil' tyke back in 1980, and have memory flashes of seeing the movie in some theater in Toronto and then going to buy "Empire" bubble gum cards.

Check out the original trailer, which features an awesome voice-over:

Anyway, in celebration, tonight's L.A. Dodgers game is going to have its first pitch thrown by Chewbacca, the first 20,000 fans get a special commemorative poster, some will get Boba-Fett t-shirts, "Star Wars" characters will be milling about and more.

Small_AT-AT_detail Earlier this week, Lucasfilm kicked off a yearlong fundraising campaign called "The Empire Gives Back" with a charity screening of the movie that was oversold and organizers needed to use a second theater. Ewan McGregor and Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) were among the people who showed up to see a rare Q&A with Harrison Ford hosted by Hero Complex's Geoff Boucher.

In August, Hasbro is introducing a line of new "Empire" toys, including a colossal two-foot-tall, bells-and-whistles-laden AT-AT. It's also unveiling a line of Star Wars toys under the banner "The Vintage Collection" that recreates the original packaging of the late 1970s and early 1980s toys.

fls9497
05-21-10, 22:39
Wow! 30 yrs already. The first time I saw this movie was on VHS. But I do remember seeing Return of the Jedi in the movie theaters. My opinion, Star Wars is the best movie series I've ever seen.

SteyrAUG
05-22-10, 00:55
I was really lucky to be born when I was.

I got to enjoy these films at the perfect age. I was 13 years old when Empire came out and went to see it with all my friends at my birthday party that year. Course that was back when a persons Dad could actually afford to take 20 kids to the movies on a Friday night.

Great times. Me and all my buddies with giant cokes and huge tubs of buttered popcorn witnessing the greatest light saber battle ever put on film.

Fyrhazzrd
05-22-10, 08:41
Spike is airing the original trilogy marathon today starting at 1PM EST. I know what I'm doing all afternoon.

Safetyhit
05-22-10, 09:41
I got to enjoy these films at the perfect age. I was 13 years old when Empire came out and went to see it with all my friends at my birthday party that year. Course that was back when a persons Dad could actually afford to take 20 kids to the movies on a Friday night.

I got to see the movie at a private screening as a 10 year old when my mother had recently married a wealthy gentleman who owned a string of movie theaters in suburban Philadelphia. Having recently moved into his home after they married I had to change schools, which was tough as always.

But when my new teacher became aware who my step-father was, she invited me to brief the class on the movie the day after the screening (about a week before the public opening). I did just that, and for a small amount of time I felt like I was somebody in that new and very intimidating class. The timing was good because it helped me make some friends.

Oh well, that's my little memory. :)

Left Sig
05-22-10, 19:21
I was 8 when I saw Empire Strikes Back in one of those really big theaters before the multiplexes took over and cut the screen sizes down.

I had missed the first run of the original Star Wars because I was 5 when it came out, but I saw it in a second run theater when I was 6 or 7. But the time Empire came out I was ready for it, and the Star Wars merchandising had really taken over the toy market.

I remember after seeing Empire, my friends and I wondered if Darth Vader really was Luke's father or if it was a trick. Return of the Jedi answered the question, but we had to wait three years to find out. That's a LONG time for a kid!

jaxman7
05-22-10, 20:39
Wow 30 years! As someone else posted Empire was the best out of all 6 in my opinion. I didn't see Episode V in the theater but I remember waiting with HUGE anticipation for the lights to go down when Return of the Jedi came on. Best movie series ever!

kry226
05-22-10, 20:48
I remember seeing all three on the big screen, but my most vivid memory is mom taking me and my little brother to see the original "Star Wars" at a drive-in. :p

m4fun
05-22-10, 21:26
I remember seeing the original like 5-7 times. Couldn't wait for this movie to come out. Cant believe it has been 30 years.

warpigM-4
05-22-10, 21:30
Whoa !!I am getting Old:eek:!!!I saw that Like 8 times with My friends and Lets Not forget the Toys.The Only Obsession I have Had like that now Is Firearms;)

SIGguy229
05-23-10, 03:15
Now I do feel old...

I remember my dad taking me to the theater to see it....great times. Now that I'm a dad, I asked my dad if he was worried about language or nudity when he took me to see ESB....he said "Nope...there wasn't any in the first movie, why would it be expected in the second?" These days, any movies the kids want to see, I have to see it first.

Those were great times....

And don't get me started on the new Airmen who were born in 1990-1991 who look at me like I'm ancient when I talk about Desert Shield/Storm...

Quiet
05-23-10, 05:30
Empire Strikes Back = the best Star Wars movie, the other five movies pale in comparison.

BWT
05-23-10, 12:56
I saw the movies when they were digitally remastered and re-released in the 90's.

Born in '87.

Honestly, I loved the series.

I feel that Episode I-III were...eh.

I remember watching a Star Wars movie every saturday morning as a kid.

Also, I can't stand the re-mastered series, I prefer the older ones.

Still have them on VHS.

PrivateCitizen
05-23-10, 13:13
Empire Strikes Back = the best Star Wars movie, the other five movies pale in comparison.

There were only 3 Star Wars movies …

;)