PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

ryan
05-21-10, 22:08
Ok guys here is my problem, I recently bought a Glock 17 gen3 awesome weapon. I also have a Springfield Armory 1911 its stainless steel, adjustable sights and has never malfunctioned with 1k rounds give or take. Should I sell my SA to fund ammo, Safariland holster etc for my Glock or keep it? I really love my 1911 and shoot it better than the Glock but am not really up to task of maintaining it and the sights are terrible for a fighting gun.

fls9497
05-21-10, 22:31
Keep it... doesn't hurt to have multiple pistols.

Erk1015
05-21-10, 22:43
Keep it... doesn't hurt to have multiple pistols.

I second that, I was in the same position about a year ago and sold the 1911. Now I wish I hadn't.

TheSmiter1
05-22-10, 00:56
The answer to your question is dependent on your needs. You have to decide whether or not to keep the 1911 based on how it helps you meet those needs.

If you want a fighting weapon, and want to train train train, and use this weapon for daily needs, then you have to consider whether or not you need the 1911 for this. Personally, if I wanted a fighting weapon and wanted to train, I would keep the Glock.

However, if you like shooting the 1911, and it's a fun range gun, and it meets your needs as a range gun, then keep both of them.

In the end, you're the only one that can decide what your needs are, and how effectively each of your weapons meets those needs.

ryan
05-22-10, 09:13
Thanks guys for your input, I have a feeling I would regret getting rid of it Ive had it a long time. It is a good range toy but its not something I would trust mine or my familirs lives to. I say that not because its ever malfunctioned but from the info gleaned here and other places about the 1911 platform, and that is what all my guns are for when you get right down to it.

gtmtnbiker98
05-22-10, 09:21
Sell it, pick up a second G17 and get some training and shoot the crap out of them.

Entropy
05-22-10, 09:34
Sell it, pick up a second G17 and get some training and shoot the crap out of them.

I agree. The benefits you gain in using only one type of shooting platform are great. Your muscle memory gets more refined and you will shoot your Glock much better if you foresake using other types of pistols.

CyberM4
05-22-10, 09:34
Keep it. Makes a great home defence weapon.

markm
05-22-10, 09:51
Keep it. Makes a great home defence weapon.

No pistol is a great home defenSe weapon. Let alone a low cap marginally reliable 1911.

But I say keep it for recreational plinking. That's what mine are kept for. It's a romantic's gun and nothing more.

CyberM4
05-22-10, 18:32
Other than a 12 Gauge shotgun or short barrel M4. What's wrong with a 45

Shawn.L
05-22-10, 18:44
sell them both and get a good 1911, tons of ammo, and a couple classes...... :P

oh, if you have a budget?

Its pretty clear from your post you know selling and using the money to take a class/but ammo/ ect is a smart move. You just want people to help you along.

Gun people for some reason have issues with selling guns. Not me ;)

lethal dose
05-22-10, 19:06
i'd sell it and accessorize, girlfriend. No, seriously... that includes (but is not limited to) a light, holsters, ammo, and a .22 lr conversion.

Littlelebowski
05-22-10, 19:10
Sell it and train.

lethal dose
05-22-10, 19:23
Sell it and train.
And training. ;)

opmike
05-22-10, 19:58
In my experience, I've always regretted selling a gun I liked.

I shoot my plastic guns most frequently, but I'm not selling either of my 1911's.

TehLlama
05-22-10, 20:29
I'm a 1911 guy through and through...

But there will be other 1911's if you sell yours, no problem there.

ryan
05-22-10, 20:43
Yeah I definetly have a budget and a damn tight one. I have a TLR1 for my Glock but not my AR, need a good holster tho. As for as training my lil brother was 0311 and B.I.L. was a Marine also and they have been working with me, I know its not as good as a good trainer, TigerSwan and the like but until my wife gets thru school no real training is in my future dang it. Im thinkin the SA should go for good kit. I have no problem selling it but I know Im gone miss it.

tpd223
05-23-10, 13:46
Sell it, pick up a G19 and get some training and shoot the crap out of them.

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, although your gun isn't in the same price range as one a friend of mine bought, I ended up with a G17, a G26, holsters, ammo and a TDSA AP-1 class all paid for, for the same price as what my friend has in his 1911.
Crazy IMHO unless you are just plain rich, and in that case you go do whatever you feel like paying for.

SWATcop556
05-23-10, 17:05
Pick up a G19 or another G17 and get a ton of ammo. And that is coming from a die hard 1911 fan.

gtmtnbiker98
05-23-10, 17:59
Fixed that for you.

Seriously, although your gun isn't in the same price range as one a friend of mine bought, I ended up with a G17, a G26, holsters, ammo and a TDSA AP-1 class all paid for, for the same price as what my friend has in his 1911.
Crazy IMHO unless you are just plain rich, and in that case you go do whatever you feel like paying for.

Thanks. But, I am a firm believer in multiples of your primary, task oriented firearms.

JackOSU
05-23-10, 18:48
I would have to say sell the 1911 and buy some ammo and take a class. It sounds to me like you are in a tight situation, but the rationale that I see is kind of backwards in my opinion. Sure we all want the latest and greatest gear. It's always nice and we get that feeling of being 5 years old again on Christmas morning, but this can possibly be a hinderance if you or your wife's life were on the line.

By no means am I trying to pick on you with my response. I just feel we as enthusiasts get so wrapped up in collecting cool guns and gear/kit that we forget the most important thing and that is to be very proficient with the set of skills that may very well save our lives one day.

I think if you sold the Springfield you could get enough ammo and have hopefully enough money to take a class from a very good instructor. Make sure that you take good notes and do all you can do to document things. This will help for you to take some extra money saved up each month or every two weeks from eating less expensive meals for lunch and/or dinner to supplement the cost of ammo and work on what you learned. You can do this until you become more proficient with things. There are also a lot of resources for things on this and other websites to help you grow your abilities.

Hopefully after some time you will be in a different situation financially with your wife out of school to facilitate more training and possibly a replacement for your 1911 later on. To me it's all a matter of priorities. One thing I'm really starting to learn in life is that there are no excuses in life.

If you really want to accomplish things then you either make them happen or you don't. Things like time and money are just some that I've been guilty in my life of using to hold back on something that I've wanted to accomplish or do. I came to realize that if I TRULY wanted them then I could, but it took better prioritizing my time better or getting another job etc.

I wish you success with your choice!

ryan
05-23-10, 19:28
Thanks for all the advice guys, I going to get a G19 2 good holsters and as much ammo and components as possible. I must also take into account the price of shooting 45. Two handguns with the same manual of arms and caliber make the most sense. Now I need to find someone who wants a Springfield Loaded, Adj sighted, Hogue gripped 1911 with 3 Chip Mccormick 8 round mags, 2 SA mags and one IDK mag and the box it came in.

skyugo
05-24-10, 00:41
No pistol is a great home defenSe weapon. Let alone a low cap marginally reliable 1911.

But I say keep it for recreational plinking. That's what mine are kept for. It's a romantic's gun and nothing more.

eh.. up close i think a pistol is easier to use for most people than a carbine..
i have no formal carbine training though... that would probably change everything. for that reason my g19 is my go to for home defense.

oef24
05-24-10, 00:58
If you are considering selling it and funding ammo, training and maybe another Glock because you can't do all financially, then sell it. You will regret it but you will be better prepared for what might happen.
If money is not an option, keep it but make sure you do get the ammo, training, holsters and another Glock for practice and backup.

O