PDA

View Full Version : Will - Cycling Creatine...

Yojimbo
05-22-10, 08:41
Will,

I know that there is no reason to cycle Creatine because it has no adverse side effects.

The reasoning I have heard about that makes sense is to cycle Creatine not because you need to but because your body gets used to it and the effect is less and less noticable the longer you are on it.

Supposedly, if you cycle Creatine you will get the maximum benefit from it during each usage cycle.

What are your thoughts on this?

WillBrink
05-23-10, 08:48

Supposedly, if you cycle Creatine you will get the maximum benefit from it during each usage cycle.

What are your thoughts on this?

None of the studies that exist support the above. It's probably more of an issue of one not thinking it's working 'till they go off, then back on, and realizing it did make a difference. There's no reason to think it actually has lesser effects over time per se. The only actual science/med related issue/logic for cycling is the worry the body will have difficulty producing creatine if one is on for say years (enzymes responsible for making creatine are suppressed while on) but again, that's a very robust system and long term studies find no issues there either. There's no reason not to cycle if one wants to, but no real science/med reason to cycle either. Takes about 30 days for tissue levels to go back to baseline levels (pre supplement levels) so off periods would be at least 30 days if the goal of being off is to get to baseline tissue levels.

The other side of that issue is all the potential health benefits of creatine supplementation, so one could argue cycling off is a net potential negative.

One can download my report on creatine, which covers all the above, and a lot more, from my free download page:

http://www.brinkzone.com/general-brinkzone-stuff/free-e-book-download/

Yojimbo
05-23-10, 10:21
Thanks for the link to your Creatine report, lots of good information there!

One thing I didn't see discussed in the report is the use of Creatine by younger teenagers. My oldest son is 14 and is asking about creatine to put on some muscle mass. Do you feel it's okay for him to use Creatine at that age?

WillBrink
05-23-10, 11:10
Thanks for the link to your Creatine report, lots of good information there!

One thing I didn't see discussed in the report is the use of Creatine by younger teenagers. My oldest son is 14 and is asking about creatine to put on some muscle mass. Do you feel it's okay for him to use Creatine at that age?

From a health perspective, it's fine. However, at 14, I guarantee neither his training or nutrition is remotely up to spec, and at that age, looking for magic bullets/short cuts is what they do. So, at that age I recommend only a good multi vite, and getting them to focus on nutrition and their training and learning the value of hard work/a focus on what really matters in the long run: proper nutrition and training.

That's the same advice I gave my 14 year old nephew when he was sure "uncle Will the supplement expert" would hook him up with info.

My brother loved it. :D

Yojimbo
05-23-10, 11:33
Thanks again Will, that's great advice!

My son's been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since he was 6 and has developed wiry, lean grapplers build. He has recently started to fill out and want's to put on more muscle. Along with better nutrition I'm going to get him started on Rippentoes Starting Strength program and see how it goes from there.

He can wait a few more years before trying creatine...;)

WillBrink
05-23-10, 11:37
Thanks again Will, that's great advice!

My son's been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since he was 6 and has developed wiry, lean grapplers build. He has recently started to fill out and want's to put on more muscle. Along with better nutrition I'm going to get him started on Rippentoes Starting Strength program and see how it goes from there.

He can wait a few more years before trying creatine...;)

That sounds like a good plan to me. ;)