PDA

View Full Version : Stag Model 2T or S&W M&P 15T

cdj588
05-22-10, 15:46
I cant decide between the Stag Model 2T or S&W M&P15T, they both have free float quad rails, chrome lined barrels, 1:9 twist, flip up iron sights (the Stag has a fixed front), single stage triggers, etc. What I am not sure of is the little (big) things like the quality of the BCG, quality of the barrel, or the lower. So I was hoping someone out there may have some deeper insight into the actual meaningful differences between these two rifles rather than the little acessories each comes with. Im lookin to buy one soon especially if it is a M&P15T bc i can get that one for about 1200-1300 and then get 5 free mags.

Also, Ive looked at the chart but it doesnt specify which model has it is talking about. This is why Im asking this bc the Stag Model 2T may be better in quality compared to its less expensive models. So it possibly could be better than the M&P 15T.

M&P15------http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757785_-1_757784_757784_image
STAG------http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=207

ryan
05-22-10, 16:13
S&W if it was my money

Jake Bauer
05-22-10, 16:26
Are the rails FF? I didnt think they were. It may not be true, but I heard Stag makes S&Ws ARs.

If it were me, I'd get a Daniel Defense DDXV. I looked at the Stag Model 2 for a long time but went with the DDXV instead. Much better rifle for the money.

sabresbrs
05-22-10, 16:28
Both good. Get the one that is cheapest. I love stag though!

lethal dose
05-22-10, 16:35
For that kind of cash, buy a colt. MUCH better options and you know everything's rock solid the minute you open the box. If I HAD to go s&w or stag (which I can't imagine being put between that rock or hard spot), I'd go s&w if not for their customer service alone. But... colt, dd, LMT, etc. make better rifles for the money. Although still in its early stages, the spike's le model has better features then the stag or s&w for $799.

lethal dose
05-22-10, 16:40
Also, keep in mind what you'll be using the rifle for... this will play a vital role in the purchasing process.

Kentucky Cop
05-22-10, 19:20
I would go and get the S&W 15 TS that is coming out any week now. Packed with more goodies than the 15T and its a middy with a 1/7 twist. SKU # 811024 on the smith site.

Ky Cop

madecov
05-22-10, 21:34
Most S&W parts are sourced from CMT
CMT is the parent company of STAG.
S&W had early guns built by STAG, now they are assembled by S&W. The barrels S&W uses come from the Thompson Contender factory (owned by S&W)

Receivers, Bolts & carrier, Barrel nuts, Lower parts kits, springs and buffers are still CMT parts.

The basic exception is when they start adding parts from manufacturers like Magpul,Troy or whoever

In a basic S&W gun with the exception of the barrel your essentially getting a Stag.

cdj588
05-24-10, 01:23
S&W had early guns built by STAG, now they are assembled by S&W. The barrels S&W uses come from the Thompson Contender factory (owned by S&W)

Receivers, Bolts & carrier, Barrel nuts, Lower parts kits, springs and buffers are still CMT parts.

The basic exception is when they start adding parts from manufacturers like Magpul,Troy or whoever

In a basic S&W gun with the exception of the barrel your essentially getting a Stag.

why does the "chart" say the smith and wesson is better quality than the stag if they consist of the same stuff? the chart pretty much makes it like comparing black and white almost.

justin_247
05-24-10, 03:30

Once upon a time, CMT made S&W's weapons. Last I checked, S&W now does their own manufacturing.

S&W > Stag.

Scoby
05-24-10, 09:26
Can't really comment on the Stag other than to say that my father in law has one and hasn't had any problems. If he had I'd of known about it.

I do have a MP 15T and have put approx. 2,000 rds through it so far without any problems. At around 1,000rds I did put a BCM FA BCG in the gun. Not because I had problems with the semi that came with it. Just considered it an upgrade is all.
The Troy rails and BUIS are great.

You get alot of value for the money with the MP 15T.

If was me, I'd go S&W without a second thought.

Scoby

djegators
05-24-10, 09:34
You've stumbled unto a forum with a ton of info and experience on ARs..don't limit yourself to just those two options, at least not yet. Spend time reading and researching, then look again.

Deaj
05-24-10, 18:39
I'll echo some of what has been posted and add a few of my own thoughts on the matter.

When S&W released the M&P15 product line Stag was involved in production. There were a few wrinkles with these early rifles. Shortly thereafter S&W tooled up to manufacture the entire M&P15 line in-house (as posted earlier the barrels are Thompson - owned by S&W) save the after-market goodies from Magpul, Troy Industries, etc.

I don't have any personal experience with Stag Arms AR's so I cannot comment on their quality / reliability. I know someone who owns a Stag AR and he's very happy with it.

I do own a S&W M&P15T and my personal experience is all positive - 2,000 rounds and a variety of .223 and 5.56 ammo so far without a single malfunction.

As Lethal Dose posted consider your intended use for this AR when making a purchase decision.

'The chart' - there's useful information to be found on 'the chart' to be sure. You'll get differing opinions as to how critical some of the listed specs are. A little reading with your intended use in mind and you should be able to decide how much of 'the chart' is important to your decision.

I'll express my opinion one one particular specification (I'm not suggesting you adopt my perspective but rather encouraging you to make your own decision). I'm quite sure that I will never push an AR hard enough to have to consider the difference between a 4150CMV steel barrel and a 4140 steel barrel. It's something I would consider in a full auto / select fire carbine (which I cannot own / discharge in my state :mad: ) assuming I had enough money to dump through the bore to cause it to heat to a point where the difference in steel would make a difference. I'll never push a 4140 barrel hard enough for it to matter. Ever. With that said the mil-spec barrel steel is a 'chart' spec that I'm not concerned with personally. Read up on this subject and come to your own conclusions.

Rifling - everyone has their own preference where rifling is concerned. Personally I chose to go with a 1:9 for my first AR as 90% or more of the ammo that I send downrange is going to be 55gr .223 factory loads. I should say that I didn't go looking for an AR with a 1:9 barrel. The AR that most closely matched what I wanted came with a 1:9. 1:7, 1:8, and 1:9 were all acceptable options for this AR. My next AR will have a 1:7 barrel as I'll be using it for shooting 100-500 yards and I'll want to be able to use heavier (longer) bullets. Again - don't let folks tell you which is best for you. Read up on the subject and draw your own conclusions.

A mil-spec AR is a great choice. What's most crucial, though, is having a reliable firearm that best suits your intended use.

The two rifles you have linked in the OP come equipped with a few after-market goodies and this brings the price up a bit. The Stag 2T has a Samson Star carbine length free floating rail ($270 street) and a A.R.M.S. 40L rear flip-up BUIS ($100). The S&W M&P15T comes with a Troy Industries 10" MRF FF rail system ($210) and front/rear Troy flip-up BUIS ($220), not including the low-profile gas block or the labor to install it if your not willing or able to do so yourself. The 5 Pmags are another $60 in value. If you're looking for an AR with a ff quad rail and flip-up sights you're going to be looking at roughly $1,200 or more. If you can get a M&P15T for $1,200 you're getting a good deal (any quality AR with $400+ worth of extras for that price would be a good deal assuming you want those extras).

If you don't care about the quad rail, the ff forend, the flip-up buis, etc. then the Spike's Tactical LE carbine or mid-length are quality AR's for $800 (spec's appear to be nearly identical to a Colt 6920). The Colt 6920 will cost about $1,200. Whether or not the Colt is worth the additional $400 is a subjective matter (i.e. to some folks the Colt would be worth the asking price or more over, say, the Spike's LE while to other's the Colt might be $400 more than they need to spend).

Again, as others have posted, there are other options to consider in the $1,200-$1,300 range. Look at everything available within your budget, decide what is (and isn't) important to you, and decide from there. If you've already done so and you're down to the Stag 2T and the M&P15T I would suggest going with the M&P15T - you're getting more for your money with this choice IMO.

That's my $0.02 :)

cdj588
05-27-10, 15:32
I just bought the M&PT off Gunbroker. Now if all goes well Ill pick it up in a few days. Heres the link to the purchase all it has is the stock photo but if anyone is curious check it out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=171238795

Deaj
05-27-10, 20:02
Very nice!!

Congratulations, and enjoy! :)

thmpr
05-27-10, 20:09
neither....KAC or LMT.