PDA

View Full Version : New M&P 9L impressions.

threeheadeddog
05-22-10, 20:07
Well I finally folded and picked up a 9L. One of the experienced shooters that I shoot IDPA with(and only rarly lets me win:p) has been giving me crap about not committing hard enough to buy a game gun. Apparently my p229 offends his sensibilities, jk.

Anyway, I took it out for the first time today and have to say that I love the extended sight radius. This pistol shoots like a lazer with UMC. I was shooting an old abused IDPA target and at 15yd I could keep all shots touching a pastie. I do have to complain about the Novaks... I hate Novaks. After 50rds I shot a fast drill and got a 5.46 with 2.08/.63/2.09/.22/.22/.22. I am definatly slow on the both press outs but with less than 60rds through the pistol I know that it will get better. I snikkered at the 4 shots to finish with identical splits though;).

I would like a better trigger, but will likely leave it factory as I dont like to go too light on a striker fired w/o safty.

I definatly plan on buying a full size later on. Most likely the VTAC when it becomes available.

S391
05-22-10, 21:16
Congrats on the new 9L! I've been shooting one in IDPA for a little over a year and I love it. FYI the trigger will smooth out over time.

opmike
05-22-10, 22:41
I do have to complain about the Novaks... I hate Novaks.

I absolutely cannot stand Novak style sights, either. The ones on my M&P are getting knocked out as soon my income improves.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new gun.

S391
05-22-10, 23:03
What sights do you guys prefer? I'm not a huge fan of Novaks either.

rathos
05-22-10, 23:27
I love mine. I bought mine used, so the trigger was broke in fairly well. I agree the reset isn't the best, but it is also fairly smooth and not that heavy.

The biggest problem I have with it is that I can't find holsters that aren't kydex. It seems like no one makes a leather holster for it and none of the holster makers I have contacted seem willing to try.

So far it shoots just as accurately with any weight of ammo. I get issued 147 grain practice ammo but also have a lot of 124 and 115 grain of various brands. They also seem to be equally as accurate.

Enjoy your gun!

opmike
05-22-10, 23:45

I prefer Heinie's myself, specifically the Ledges.

G34Shooter
05-23-10, 00:37
I prefer Heinie's myself, specifically the Ledges.

Same here :D

threeheadeddog
05-23-10, 08:24
As far as sights. I simply dont like that Novaks are not flat on the back. IMHO the Novaks have too many angle and such going on on the back side of the sight. I prefer anyting with a wide notch and a single flat on the back of the rear sight. I dont like serrations on the rear sight or blade but I can live with them. Heinie and Warren are what I consider the nicest thought 10-8 look nice and even many of the cheap stock sights that come on guns are better than Novaks.

GLOCKMASTER
05-23-10, 08:40
Even though I only have a few rounds through my 9L I really like it so far. I replaced the factory sights with a set of Warren Tactical Night Sights and also dropped in some Apex Tactical parts which made a huge difference. The only thing left is to replace the front sight as the Warren front is too tall.

threeheadeddog
05-23-10, 10:10
I will likely go with Warrens. As far as front sight height, what do you think it needs? Do you use factory available ammo, or reloads(so I know what you are regulating your sights to)?

That is my one big issue when searching for sights. It seems that most of the 9L shooters are IPSC/USPSA/IDPA guys using mousefart 147gr(which I like in a game gun too) so trying to get an idea of front sight height for standard 115 gr factory ammo is becoming a long search. I dont reload and really cant afford to buy AA 147's locally for games as they are about the same price as .45's. Anyway I am not slower buy much at all when using factory 115's.

My plan is to buy a Warren rear and then buy the super tall dawson .100 or .115 width and file it to where it needs to be, but if you know the propper height it would save me all that trouble:D.

GLOCKMASTER
05-23-10, 15:55
I will likely go with Warrens. As far as front sight height, what do you think it needs? Do you use factory available ammo, or reloads(so I know what you are regulating your sights to)?

That is my one big issue when searching for sights. It seems that most of the 9L shooters are IPSC/USPSA/IDPA guys using mousefart 147gr(which I like in a game gun too) so trying to get an idea of front sight height for standard 115 gr factory ammo is becoming a long search. I dont reload and really cant afford to buy AA 147's locally for games as they are about the same price as .45's. Anyway I am not slower buy much at all when using factory 115's.

My plan is to buy a Warren rear and then buy the super tall dawson .100 or .115 width and file it to where it needs to be, but if you know the propper height it would save me all that trouble:D.

I always use either 115 gr. or 124 gr. factory loaded ammunition. Tomorrow I'm going to order a Dawson Precision .180 (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=6F70000-1162601753)tritium front sight and see if that will bring my POI up enough to satisfy me.

jaxman7
05-23-10, 16:41
JFreuler what is your poi with the Warrens at 15 yards? I've got a set of Warren sevignys (fiber optic front/plain rear) and my point of impact is about 3 inches low from the bench

GLOCKMASTER
05-23-10, 17:25
JFreuler what is your poi with the Warrens at 15 yards? I've got a set of Warren sevignys (fiber optic front/plain rear) and my point of impact is about 3 inches low from the bench

About the same maybe a little less.

jaxman7
05-23-10, 17:31
Copy that. You'll probably get yours before I order mine. Let me know if the .180 Dawson brings the poi up to poa. Thanks,

-Jax

S391
05-23-10, 17:56
Anyone ever try the sights from Bowie Tactical?

Mjolnir
05-23-10, 18:31
Hilton Yam's 10-8 rears.

RogerinTPA
05-23-10, 18:42
I always use either 115 gr. or 124 gr. factory loaded ammunition. Tomorrow I'm going to order a Dawson Precision .180 (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=6F70000-1162601753)tritium front sight and see if that will bring my POI up enough to satisfy me.

The Warren FS is .165, as stated on the package and measured by my local Smith, when doing a comparison of 3 different Front Sites, including the stock sights. One of my M&P (Full Size) shot about 1-1/2" low with them. I had to off set/displace the front sight higher to obtain POA/POI hits. Replaced it with a different night site .160 Ht (same as stock M&P sights), now it's back to POA/POI with standard 115 grain loads. Currently having another front site replaced on another M&P as well. The .165 Warrens will shoot POA with higher velocity/pressure ammo though on the standard full sized M&Ps (9 and 40)

GLOCKMASTER
05-23-10, 18:53
The Warren FS is .165, as stated on the package and measured by my local Smith, when doing a comparison of 3 different Front Sites, including the stock sights. One of my M&P (Full Size) shot about 1-1/2" low with them. I had to off set/displace the front sight higher to obtain POA/POI hits. Replaced it with a different night site .160 Ht (same as stock M&P sights), now it's back to POA/POI with standard 115 grain loads. Currently having another front site replaced on another M&P as well. The .165 Warrens will shoot POA with higher velocity/pressure ammo though on the standard full sized M&Ps (9 and 40)

The Warren front sights for the M&P long slides are .190. At least that is what came in my package.

jaxman7
05-23-10, 18:57
Good info bud, thanks. Do you have any idea what the poi would be on the Warrens with something like a storm lake barrel using lower pressure 115g?