PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Belts, Dang Expensive Are the Worth It???

Shrike9
05-19-07, 16:49
Filled out the on line ordering forum for a 5 stitch Wilderness Belt & it was $44.95 and then they wanted $9.92 for S&H :o :o

Are these belts really thatgood?? I've been wearing a old Blackhawk riggers belt for about 8 years now & it's ready to die. However, the BX has em for sale around $34.00 instead of almost $60 the Wilderness Belt is going to cost me.

So, are they really worth the $$$$ when compared to a Blackhawk or other belt of the same kind.

RHR
05-19-07, 18:31
I love mine. I haven't worn my leather belt since getting my Instructor belt about a month ago.
You can get them for $32.00 from Brownells with the discount.

baffle Stack
05-19-07, 19:22
I can't comment on the Blackhawk comparo, but I can say that I love my 1.5" 5 stitch. CCW is so nice with it. And compared to a lot of leather belts, it's cheap.

Shihan
05-22-07, 02:42
Believe it or not Blackhawk offers a lifetime warranty on their belts. Send it in a nd get a new one for free. Free is king!

Mojo58
05-22-07, 02:50
I use the SOE Gear (now BDS Tactical) riggers belt with my BDUs and my jeans. Had it for 3 years now and it still is in really good shape. I compared it to the Wilderness belt and found it to be a bit more robust than the Wilderness Instructors belt. I also have an Eagle Industries riggers belt that is more comparable to the same thickness and structure as the Wilderness belt. All 3 are comparable in price. Hope this helps somewhat.

Rob96
05-22-07, 03:44
I wear a 5.11 Operators belt. It makes carrying a full sized 1911 so easy.

Cold Zero
05-22-07, 06:07
I have 3 wilderness belts and one black hawk. while the blackhawk buckle seems like good quality the thickness and stiffness of the webbing is lacking.

While the wilderness belts are of top quality, they are a little pricey. But, you get what you pay for. once you get one, likely you will want more than one. I have both the 5 stitch and the c.s.m. models. Either will do the job.

Buckaroo
05-22-07, 06:11
I wear a 5.11 Trainers belt and find it to be both comfortable and durable.

I feel bad not wearing my leather belts but....

scubie02
05-22-07, 07:30
wow, have the wilderness belts gone up that much? They are ok belts. I generally only wear mine if it's a situation where a leather belt might get soaked or take a beating or something, like if I'm hunting out in crappy weather all day and want to pack a sidearm. Then the 1911's with leather stay home and an XD or stainless revolver goes out with the wilderness and some synthetic holster :)

John_Wayne777
05-22-07, 08:07
Personally I use one of Eagle's instructor emergency rappel belts:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/eagle_admin/product_admin/Images/large/225_Large.jpg

You have to understand that not all belts are equal. Yes, some of these belts are very "expensive"...but given that my personal belts are expected to hold several pounds of weapons, ammo, flashlights, etc, it is worth it to me to spend some money on a belt that will actually get the job done.

The belt is an INCREDIBLY important piece of carry gear. Don't shop in the bargain bin for one.

As to the Wilderness belts, I have never used one, but they seem to be decent belts.

Shrike9
05-25-07, 00:50
Well, I've got a 5 stitch belt on order, now the fun of waiting begins :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Impact
05-25-07, 01:13
I love my Wilderness..perfect combo with my comp tac holster.

Shrike9
05-25-07, 01:23
I love my Wilderness..perfect combo with my comp tac holster.

Have been looking around for holsters for a P229R and the Com-Tac paddle holster is on the short list.

Have also been looking at Sidearmor, but not sure ifin they are as good as the Com-Tac holster.

Jay Cunningham
05-25-07, 06:04
I wear one everyday, at work and out and about. It's a great sturdy belt. The Original Instructor Belt™ is $34.95 - is this actually expensive?

The OP stated it will cost him $60. My own belt holds my Glock with its holster, spare mag and Surefire flashlight. This is easily around $700 of gear hanging from this belt. Is $60 too much?

:confused:

GYates
05-25-07, 14:23
Yeah, they are worth it. You will probably never need another one again.

f.2
05-27-07, 04:06
Just found my Wilderness Tactical receipt as I was looking for something else - Original Instructor's belt, $39.95, online purchase 3/28/2005. So the price has come down to $34.95 (http://thewilderness.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3_42_43).

Cold Zero
05-27-07, 06:54
The $5 difference may be for shipping?:confused:

Glockster35
05-27-07, 08:30
I have had the 5 stitch CSM belt (polymer insert) for about 3-4 years, and I absolutely love it.

If there is something better, I have yet to fid it!

Shrike9
05-27-07, 23:15
1 x The Original Instructor Belt™ (OIB) = $44.95
Choose color Black + $0.00
Choose measured belt size 49" custom + $5.00
Choose belt width 1-3/4" + $0.00
Choose belt style Added stiffness 5-stitch + $5.00

Sub-Total: $44.95
United Parcel Service (1 x 1.65lbs) (Ground): $9.92
Total: $54.87

So I've got a shed over the tool :o :o :o :p :p :p :p

John Fettes
05-28-07, 10:37
I have two of their belts and have been happy with both. One is a 1.5" with the triple reinforced stitching; it is worn almost daily since I bought it a few years ago. The second one is a 1.25" frequent flyer (two plastic rings for the buckle) belt which is worn on days I have to go through airport screening. The FF belt is now offered in 1.5".

John

f.2
05-28-07, 10:49
The $5 difference may be for shipping?:confused:

Nope, apples to apples - price was before shipping.

TimW
05-30-07, 01:39
Over size 44" and they charge an extra $5.00.

I have about 1/2 dozen of these belts (anyone who knows me knows why). I like them all. However, they scream "gun" when trying to use them for any CCW work. They work great, but aren't very low profile.

So, I've started using a Maxpedition Liger belt for my CCW needs. For anything out in the field (hiking, camping, hunting, range work), I use the Wilderness. Around town, Maxpedition.

YMMV.

Dave L.
05-30-07, 21:46
Personally, my next Purchase will be the Wilderness Titanium. I currently own 2 original SOE's one with the plastic insert and one without, I also own one Blackhawk which is very comfortable and thin(worthless for holding up anything but your pants).

The problem all my belts have in common- the steel will rust if you do anything that involves sweating. The rust gets into the nylon and slowly tears it up from the inside up. My SOE ones look great until you peel back the nylon where it meets the buckle; all rust and about impossible to prevent/stop.

I realize that 99.99% of the time we will never need that little "high speed" carabiner attachment to save our lives or someone elses, but I can't help but think a rigger would tell me to toss it.
The Ti version obviously wont rust like the steel counterpart...and it's lighter.

Just my .02$

P.S. If someone has actually used the "high speed" hook-up on their emergency rappel/ instructors riggers belt in a real life situation, I would love to hear about it...I have yet to hear why it's necessary other than "it looks cool".