PDA

View Full Version : ccw single action revolver?

trappernana
05-23-10, 11:28
Is this a totally ridiculous idea? Am I to sure of myself? A 1911 carried con.1-2 would still require some extra manipulation,even in 3 you have to drop the safety. Anyway, just a quick thought. Take care guys:D

Rosco Benson
05-23-10, 11:34
I once saw a Sparks Summer Special offered for sale that was made for a Peacemaker. Some of the old-timers "Mexican" carried SAA's IWB by opening the loading gate and hooking it on the trouser waistband. I guess I would carry a Peacemaker, if that;s all I had available.

The pistol is big for its 5-shot capacity, it is slow and fumble-prone to load quickly, if one draws it--and subsequently doesn't have to shoot--one must lower the hammer over a live round to put it away.

Elmer Keith notwithstanding, there are much better choices for carry.

Rosco

trappernana
05-23-10, 11:45
I'm currently carrying a G19 and love it. I'm not sure why I asked? Ijust love my S.A. revolvers . I openly carry them on our property. Just call me "Revolver Robert" kee kee kee;)

opmike
05-23-10, 12:27
When it comes to something I'd potentially be using to defend the life of myself or others, I wouldn't waste my time unless this was 19th century.

John_Wayne777
05-23-10, 12:51
I would strongly recommend against carrying a handgun that was outdated as a sidearm before the dawn of the twentieth century. A 2.5 pound 5 shot (empty chamber under the hammer for true SAA clones) revolver doesn't really make much sense in an era where we have 5 shot .357 magnum revolvers that weigh less than a pound, fit easily in a pocket, and can be equipped with a laser sight.

The 9mm Glock is the Peacemaker of our times. Stick with it.

I own some guns that are just for fun. They are fun to collect, own, and shoot...but I make a distinction between fun guns and guns meant for serious social purposes.

jaxman7
05-23-10, 12:52
Extremely hard to beat your current carry weapon with the right ammo.

Buck
05-23-10, 13:03
I still carry my 4 3/4" Colt SSA now and again and I'm the "King of the plains" for five shots... :cool:

If it escalates to the point that I break leather in whilst in CCW mode, rounds are going down range... A 250 grain slug will do a lot of hurt, and if I shot it five times in the face with a 45 Colt and it does not die, a handgun is not the answer...

Just my .02

B

PS: I have a M16 and an 870 that are not to far away...

tpd223
05-23-10, 13:33
You know, strangely enough I've qualified one of our retired guys for his HR218 carry with several guns, including a couple of SAAs in .45Colt.

He makes holsters and now that he is retired he spends alot of time driving his RV from one cowboy shoot to the next. He figured if he has to shoot a bad guy during a robbery attempt or whatever he's as likely to have the cowboy guns with him as anything.

Chameleox
05-23-10, 13:56
He figured if he has to shoot a bad guy during a robbery attempt or whatever he's as likely to have the cowboy guns with him as anything.
You should advise your friend that this is only legal if he stays in character.
"Why did you shoot him?
"That no-good gul-dern varmint done tried to steal my wagon!"
"Ummm...Sure."

Thomas M-4
05-23-10, 14:33
If you have a wife I wouldn't Happened to friend back in the 70's wife thought she heard something while he was at the store cocked the hammer and she couldn't get it down so she put it back in the holster the forgot about it :rolleyes:. At the time he worked for the sheriffs dept. Next morning he put on his duty belt in front of the mirror he let his arms fall to his sides the ruger black hawk .357 mag went off at that time you could use reloads for duty loads remember this is the 70s:eek: His reloads were tri plex load 3 .38 cal balls loaded hot! 1 stopped in the back of his leg ,1 stopped right at his ankle and the last one went through his leg and foot and went into the wood floor. Nobody at home lucky the ambulance got there before he bleed out.
He still works for the city but it did end his carrier as an LEO.

PaulL
05-23-10, 14:57
There was a guy at a local gun store that wanted to carry 2 Vaqueros on his back in a custom holster like this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5096&stc=1&d=1274644073

He truly believed he could draw one and fan it faster and more accurately than someone else could shoot with a semiauto.

I think he just watched too many westerns.

jaxman7
05-23-10, 15:17
Scene from the movie Face Off?

There was a guy at a local gun store that wanted to carry 2 Vaqueros on his back in a custom holster like this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5096&stc=1&d=1274644073

He truly believed he could draw one and fan it faster and more accurately than someone else could shoot with a semiauto.

I think he just watched too many westerns.

PaulL
05-24-10, 00:01
Scene from the movie Face Off?

Yep. I'm assuming that's where the dude got the idea from.

ThirdWatcher
05-24-10, 00:39
When it comes to something I'd potentially be using to defend the life of myself or others, I wouldn't waste my time unless this was 19th century.

+1 If I went back to the 19th Century, I'd take a couple of my autos with me (and LOTS of ammo loaded in spare mags).

I've got a couple of Colt SAA's (newer Custom Shop models) that I really like... they're beautifully made and they're a lot of fun to shoot. If I was going in harm's way, I would hope to be carrying something that I could shoot and reload a lot faster.

skyugo
05-24-10, 00:39
You know, strangely enough I've qualified one of our retired guys for his HR218 carry with several guns, including a couple of SAAs in .45Colt.

He makes holsters and now that he is retired he spends alot of time driving his RV from one cowboy shoot to the next. He figured if he has to shoot a bad guy during a robbery attempt or whatever he's as likely to have the cowboy guns with him as anything.

i guess if you shoot a lot of cowboy stuff it mgiht be the gun you're most familiar with..
personally i won't even carry a pistol with a safety... so not for me :o

JHC
05-24-10, 18:28
I might could carry a Ruger BH in a magnificent Thad Rybka crossdraw . . . with a G19 backing it up on my strong side hip. ;)

yrac
05-24-10, 18:35
The premise of this thread probably isn't quite what M4C is about.