PDA

View Full Version : That's my boy!

SW-Shooter
05-23-10, 17:02
I took my 10 year old son shooting on Saturday and I just wanted to post a few pictures of him, I'm proud he could handle the Glock 30SF loaded with 230+P, he was able to keep it inside the 8, 9, and 10 ring. The range is: Bexar Community range.

rickrock305
05-23-10, 17:15
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab12/sw-shooter/_1014048.jpg

Looks like hes grinning before he's even out of recoil :D

CyberM4
05-23-10, 17:40
Nice pics. That would put a smile on any 10 year.

PRGGodfather
05-23-10, 19:26
Some of my fondest boyhood memories were learning to shoot with my dad. We still shoot together, but mostly sporting clays.

There is nothing better than spending quality time with our children, teaching them safety, responsibility, discipline and freedom as we pass on our shooting heritage.

Right on.

MarshallDodge
05-23-10, 19:40
Good stuff! :D

SeriousStudent
05-23-10, 21:58
Good job teaching him to shoot with eye and ear protection, too.

I hope you both have many more fun outings in the future.

thopkins22
05-23-10, 23:09
Good job teaching him to shoot with eye and ear protection, too.

+1 My grandfather was very strict about safe gun handling and proper marksmanship, but on the flip side he told me that the noise was something to "get used to." Meaning that eventually I'd lose enough of my hearing that it no longer bothered me.

I'm still relatively young, and I always wear earpro now, but I'm sure that I damaged my hearing quite a bit. Thank goodness most of that shooting was 22lr, and the damage isn't as bad as it could be.

Rightful Liberty
05-24-10, 00:57
Congrats, nice 3rd pic with the chamber opening

Coltdogg
05-24-10, 01:14
Some good pic. I can not wait tell I can get my boy out shooting one of my AR's. The only thing I can get him to shoot is a P-22 with a Can on it.

SW-Shooter
05-24-10, 01:14
It was a hoot watching the other two shooters at the range stop and watch him shoot that .45. I think he was hamming up the recoil just a little bit. I told him to wear his hat but somewhere in the transition between shooting rifle to pistol it was left in the truck.

Thank you all for the comments, I'll pass them on to him. He's officially a member of the .45 > 9mm "club". I wish I would have taken pictures of him shooting the Glock 21SF, now that was funny.

rifle_eyes
05-24-10, 01:22
i see no trigger discipline.
;p just playing. looks like a lot of fun. i wish my dad would have taken me out shooting.

SW-Shooter
05-24-10, 01:35
i see no trigger discipline.
;p just playing. looks like a lot of fun. i wish my dad would have taken me out shooting.

He got quite the lecture on trigger discipline, he is actually pulling the trigger on a 13 round magazine so it's hard to tell in those photo's. He's a lot better than some of the adults that were there that day.

ETA: I did not coach him on his stance, it was natural for him to shoot that way. It's one of the things I told him to use what feels best.

DragonDoc
05-24-10, 11:21
Where is this range at Shooter? I prefer to go to Camp Bullis (only open Sat. and Sun.) but I have a killer schedule (12 hour night shifts) and I end up choosing sleep over shooting.

Your boy definitely looks like he is enjoying himself. I can't get my 13 y/o daughter to shoot a pistol. She loves her Marlin 60 though. I love taking my girls to the range.

jaxman7
05-24-10, 11:36
Recoil+smile = great kid. Nice to know there are still dads out there still showing boys the manly side of life!
I have very fond memories of going out in the woods with my grandfather when I was young and shooting his 1911.

SW-Shooter
05-24-10, 14:37
Where is this range at Shooter? I prefer to go to Camp Bullis (only open Sat. and Sun.) but I have a killer schedule (12 hour night shifts) and I end up choosing sleep over shooting.

Your boy definitely looks like he is enjoying himself. I can't get my 13 y/o daughter to shoot a pistol. She loves her Marlin 60 though. I love taking my girls to the range.

Bexar community range off of I-10 and Trainer Hale, between San Antonio and Seguin. But we don't talk about it, lest the riff raff get wind of its location.

DragonDoc
05-24-10, 16:59
Bexar community range off of I-10 and Trainer Hale, between San Antonio and Seguin. But we don't talk about it, lest the riff raff get wind of its location.

What are their prices? What is the condition of the range?

HK51Fan
05-24-10, 17:46
So I -10 going towards Houston then? I used to live in Converse right by Randolph AFB, and I've never heard of it either. We would go to Bullis or another range behind Rolling Oaks Mall N of loop 1604 off of Nacodoches just past the railroad tracks (left) heading towards garden ridge. I don't know if that one is still around or not. I think I remember another range over off S410 as well.

SW-Shooter
05-24-10, 18:42
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bexar+community+shooting+range&fb=1&gl=us&hq=bexar+community+shooting+range&cid=5867766412980872780

DragonDoc
05-24-10, 19:07
So I -10 going towards Houston then? I used to live in Converse right by Randolph AFB, and I've never heard of it either. We would go to Bullis or another range behind Rolling Oaks Mall N of loop 1604 off of Nacodoches just past the railroad tracks (left) heading towards garden ridge. I don't know if that one is still around or not. I think I remember another range over off S410 as well.

That's Bracken range you are talking about. It is still there but I have to pay per gun and pay for targets. I like to practice M-4, pistol, and shotgun. The range fees add up pretty fast and can get quite expensive. That is why I like Bullis. $4 lets me shoot all of my weapons and targets are free. The drawback is the limited open times. I wonder if they would let me sign for a range for personal use?

DragonDoc
05-24-10, 19:58
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bexar+community+shooting+range&fb=1&gl=us&hq=bexar+community+shooting+range&cid=5867766412980872780

How much are range fees?

SW-Shooter
05-24-10, 20:15
How much are range fees?

I don't remember, I think I paid $31.00 for the both of us for both pistol and rifle ranges, along with a spotting scope. I might be wrong though, I didn't really pay much attention to how much I paid.

ETA: I did purchase a package of shoot -n- c targets for $9.00, now that I recall. That's $11.00 per person.

DragonDoc
05-24-10, 23:07
$31 is pretty step just to practice :eek:. Hell you can buy a piece of land in Texas for what they are charging per person if your recollection is correct. :p

HES
05-24-10, 23:15
Quick question..how much does your son weigh? I wonder if my 10 year old could handle anything bigger than a .22 pistol. In the mean time, looks like you had a great day.

SW-Shooter
05-25-10, 04:11
Quick question..how much does your son weigh? I wonder if my 10 year old could handle anything bigger than a .22 pistol. In the mean time, looks like you had a great day.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know exactly, but roughly 75 lbs, if I remember correctly.