PDA

View Full Version : gun safe?

jp0319
05-24-10, 04:07
After getting several new firearms this deployment I think it is time for me to invest in a gun safe. I need one which will accomidate 5-6 long guns (ARs / SHotguns) and 5-6 handguns plus ammo if possible.

I have no Idea how much something like this would cost or what company is good, I have a couple places local in the area which sell safes (Gander Mountain, and Jims) that I know of but I dont know what they sell. I am still deployed for another week or so and just trying to do some research ahead.

I would like to meet the above criteria and "hopefully" stay at or under $1000. I dont know if that is realistic but any help you can give would be appreciated.

JP

skyrider
05-24-10, 06:57
Whatever brand you decide on with whatever features you want, when you decide on the size...go to the next size larger. And, just because there are slots to hold X number of long guns doesn't mean you'll be able to jam that many guns in there. Whenever I upgrade, I'm going to line my long guns up against a wall, comfortably spaced, and measure how much room I need.

Any way, food for thought.

dogloose
05-24-10, 07:12
A couple of years back I did some investigating before purchasing a safe for the house. One of the best resources I found was an article from the archives at 6mmbr.com. Although the prices and models have surely changed, the advice remains sound. Here's the link:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Caeser25
05-24-10, 19:36
Just remember you'll need room for ammo, important papers, anything else of value to you jewelry, baseball cards (not sure what kind of value they hold anymore :( )

sbui
05-24-10, 20:37
NO ELECTRONIC LOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will eventually give and cause you all sorts of grief.

I wish my wife would have gotten me the mechanical one, but mine was a gift to me, and what can one say about it. But if I did it over mechanical lock 100%.

DragonDoc
05-24-10, 23:15
Try Liberty safes Airborne. They offer mil discounts and rebates.

http://www.libertysafe.com/card_deck_members.php

skyrider
05-25-10, 00:22
NO ELECTRONIC LOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will eventually give and cause you all sorts of grief.

I wish my wife would have gotten me the mechanical one, but mine was a gift to me, and what can one say about it. But if I did it over mechanical lock 100%.

I can understand the concern, but I've not had any issues with mine. When I first got it, I forgot the combo and the lock-out key was very easy to use to get into it and reset the combo. I open the safe every day and haven't changed the battery in two years...which I should do more often.

HassanChop!
05-25-10, 00:46
Think BIG! It's amazing how quickly you run out of room! Trust me.... I know :D

chiefhubbard
05-25-10, 16:21
You can't buy one big enough. I just bought one to hold 12 weapons plus, that was Dec last year. It had so much empty area that I had to break the bank to fill it, why have one if you don't fill it up. I also have an electronic and works fine and also can use the keys. I do wish that I had bought one with plug in dehumidifier.

SkiDevil
05-25-10, 19:46
Hello,
Here is the link to a previous thread on the subject. There was some good information in the thread.
Link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=443368#post443368

My previous response:

First, there are no safes being produced at this time which cost under $1,000 dollars that offer any significant protection from theft and/ or fire.

-A good quality U.S. manufactured gunsafe constructed of heavy gauge steel and with at a minimum of 60 Mintues fire rating at temperatures in excess of 1200 degrees F. will typically run at or over $2K [12-15+ guns, then closer to $3K].

Second, almost all of the gunsafes produced in U.S. are VERY similar. Except for American Security, who uses cement inside of the safes walls instead of the more common gypsum board. American Security is also one of the only companies I learned that is a commerical safe (jewelry/ bank vault) manufacturer and the gunsafe division is a smaller department of the company.

Third, Almost all of the gunsafes in the $500-1600/1700 price range are made in CHINA. The safe manufacturers AND dealers don't really like to disclose or talk about this. In addition, the safes are rarely marked (packaging/ display) to identify "MADE IN CHINA."

-Even though it is not so practical to do these days, personally I REALLY TRY not to buy anything made in CHINA if possible.

Fourth, most of the older safes are rated at 30 mins or less. The 60/ 90/ 120 fire ratings are recent (less than decade). Avoid buying a used safe. If a gunsafe is not regularly used or being sold you NEVER know what you are getting. Repairing a safe is EXPENSIVE.

Last, DEFINITELY purchase a gunsafe with room to grow. It is better to always have a bit of extra-room and not need it.

Conclusion: So, what do you do? Only you can really decide what is best for you and your family. Money is tight for a lot of folks these days. Personally, I would save-up and buy a quality safe. Some dealers/ manufacturers even offer no interest/ or low interest loans to purchase (they are feeling the crunch like everyone else these days).

Finally, If you don't want to wait or desire to pay cash (no financing), then I would look at the Liberty Centurian gunsafe. It is available in several models for less than a grand and is maufactured in Mexico, which according to dealers, provides for better quality controls. Although not an optimum choice it would problaby offer better protection than the tinpot metal safes made in CHINA from one of the big box stores. Lastly, I asked the dealer/s why they even sell the made in CHINA POS safes; his response "Because people buy them."

Unfortunately, as I keep learning in life with many things, we really do get what we pay for.

Best of Luck in your search.
SkiDevil

P.S. Someone provided excellent advice; FIND a good local/ reputable dealer. Do some research. I don't speak "Gunsafe" but when armed with a little knowledge most safe dealers will view you as an educated buyer/ and you will problaby not buy an over-priced POS.

dwood67
05-25-10, 21:12
They're the mosty costly, but Fort Knox safe's are state of the art.

P2000
05-25-10, 21:28
I picked up my safe at bass pro shops for 499 - 10% discount for opening up a card with them. It is large size, but without fire resistance ratings (but it does have gypsum boards) and it has a non electric lock. It is heavy as hell and came pre-drilled with bolts for attachment to the floor. Big made in the USA sticker too. It is good enough for me.

MarshallDodge
05-25-10, 23:13
I have a Heritage with a S&G electronic lock that is about 8 years old with no issues. I got a great deal on it used but I was skeptical of the electronic lock at first. After owning it for 6 years and having a couple issues with a mechanical lock safe, I am digging the convenience of the electronic.

MassMark
05-26-10, 06:35
I would look into a Liberty or Cannon first - especially in your price range. I believe Cabelas is a Cannon dealer. I work part time in The Lodge at Dicks Sporting Goods and they offer Stack-On safes, some of which are manufactured in China. This does not mean they are bad safes at all - in fact, the new line of Stack-On safes are quite nice - all but one fire rated and many under $1,000.00 There's a 24-gun fire rated safe, (marketed as Field and Stream), that regularly sells for under $600.00

I understand people's aversion to buying things made in China. I feel the same way and try to be conscious of it. I feel the same way about Russia and get a kick out of people who stomp their feet about China, but stock up on Wolf ammo... ;) I also understand that there are times when you just can't avoid it. Everyone who wants to get rid of every single item they own made in China - please stack it up in your front yard - I'll be by with a truck to pick it up. However, Stack-On is an American company, with a gigantic facility in Illinois that employs - Americans. If you can't find what you are looking for, Stack-On may be the way to go.

Landchipper
05-26-10, 08:11
I found mine at

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/

and recommend Dominic as he was the most patient and
informative to my questions and concerns about which
safe would suit me and my modest budget.

Just my $0.02 worth.

SkiDevil
07-17-12, 23:35
I found this video regarding the selection and construction of gun safes. The video is very informative and definitely food for thought regarding what kind of safe you are purchasing.

For anyone looking at purchasing a new safe for the first time or looking to upgrade there is some insightful information from a knowledgeable professional to consider.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&feature=fvwrel

lifebreath
07-18-12, 10:13
I opted not to go with a "safe," but rather a locking steel gun locker (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1082489&postcount=1). More pictures and my reasoning by clicking the link.

http://www.lincolndiagnostics.com/public/doug/guns/Storage/storage%203.JPG

Moose-Knuckle
07-18-12, 20:05
Educate yourself on the differances between "safes" and RSCs (residential security containers) and as others have stated, avoid electronic locks. They cause more problems than they fix.

diving dave
07-19-12, 08:24
I have 2 Liberty safes, a Lincoln 50 and a Presidential 50. The Lincoln has an electric lock. Had it for years, and have never had an issue. Liberty makes a good safe.

WillBrink
07-19-12, 08:50
After getting several new firearms this deployment I think it is time for me to invest in a gun safe. I need one which will accomidate 5-6 long guns (ARs / SHotguns) and 5-6 handguns plus ammo if possible.

I have no Idea how much something like this would cost or what company is good, I have a couple places local in the area which sell safes (Gander Mountain, and Jims) that I know of but I dont know what they sell. I am still deployed for another week or so and just trying to do some research ahead.

I would like to meet the above criteria and "hopefully" stay at or under $1000. I dont know if that is realistic but any help you can give would be appreciated.

JP

Here's my write up on the topic if interested:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51518&highlight=amsec

longball
07-22-12, 18:09
Older style electronic locks weren't known for their reliability. Like most things though, they have come come a long way in the last few years. I can't speak for all of the companies but the Sargent and Greenleaf electronic locks that are used on Liberty's safes are solid units. Since they switched to the new S&G locks they have had the same rate of warranty work done on electronics as the S&G manuals. No matter which one you choose they both have a lifetime warranty. The biggest differences between the two are speed and ease of access.

khc3
07-22-12, 19:37
I opted not to go with a "safe," but rather a locking steel gun locker (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1082489&postcount=1). More pictures and my reasoning by clicking the link.
]

How much does that cabinet weigh (empty)? Tried to find that info on their site and didn't see it.

And, if you don't mind, how much did it cost?

halo2304
07-22-12, 21:18
Start doing some research and consider:
1) where you're going to put it (basement, garage, closet)
2) how it's going to get there (you and some buddies, professional movers)
3) risk level of break-in and fire

Once you've gotten some ideas for those three, research some more. If you feel you're going cross-eyed, take a little break and then research some more.

Keep in mind too, it's easy to say 'go bigger than you need.' If, like me, you have a stair case and a tight corner to deal with, a 48-gun safe (RSC) that weighs 700lbs just won't be possible.

I started looking into getting a gun safe around May. July is almost over and I still haven't gotten one. Too many things going on isn't helping either.

ETA: Here's my thread. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=106784&highlight=gun+safe)

lifebreath
07-24-12, 14:18
How much does that cabinet weigh (empty)? Tried to find that info on their site and didn't see it.

And, if you don't mind, how much did it cost?

You've got to get them from letargets.com (http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=TGS-1500), $1150 + shipping. Don't remember the weight, but I'd guess 200-300 lbs.