PDA

View Full Version : Glock competition sights

Glockster35
05-20-07, 10:08
I played my first gun game on Saturday, well, I should say it was my first in about 6-8 years.

Initially I shot the rounds with a Beretta 92FS, however; not happy with my scores, I switched to a Glock 35, and shot much better. I have never been a great shot with the Beretta.

I am using a Glock 35, with a triggerkit.com trigger system. I did well, but not anywhere close to what I used to be able to do, I need more practice, and updated gear. So I went out yesterday and bought 5 more mags, 6 extended base pads, A dawsom mag well, and Safariland adjustable mag holders. I should be good to go with this setup!

I am looking for some thoughts on sights, as what I have on it is distracting to my eyes. I still have the original plastic glock front and adjustable rear sights (yes, I am one of the few still using them). I blacked out the rear sight after my last outing, but the big white dot on front was distracting the heck out of my eyes.

I have seen a lot of people shooting with teh fiber optic tube front sights, and while I like this idea a lot, I think I would want a tritium/fiberoptic mix sight, simply because I am not sure how much light the fiber optic picks up in low light situations/courses of fire.

Any suggestions on a combo that will work great for me.

Also, is it worth it for me to buy the sight installer for the rear, or can I drive sights in with a hammer and punch?

baffle Stack
05-20-07, 12:07
I've done a few Glock sights with a wooden dowel and a hammer. It's really easy. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Robb Jensen
05-20-07, 14:10
I like a Scott Warren (Warren Tactical) rear Glock sight with a Dawson Precision fiber optic .105" wide Glock front sight (for the Heinie cut rear). This set up is very fast.

If you need someone to install your sights, I'll do them free if you pay return shipping. Just send me the slide and the sights.

Gibbles
05-20-07, 14:30
I picked up some Tru-Glow TFO's for my Glock 21, and I love them.
I installed my self with a pair of pliers to yank out the plastic front site and those pliers will work to screw it back in if you don't have the tool, and a wooden dowel to tap the plastic rear out and the TFO in.
I used a cheap laser bore sight from wal-mart (clearance for $15 :) ) to get the sight centered and then blue locktite to hold everything in place

Robb Jensen
05-20-07, 14:36
You can't see them really well in this pic of me shooting the GSSF match today in MD.

My scores for the GSSF match today are:

Master Stock 56.18 (counts for the VA Arms Company Master Team)
Master Subcompact 68.57
Unlimited 61.01
Competition 59.27

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/Robb.jpg

My two other teammates use these sights too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/Luis.jpg

Luis G scores are:
Amateur Civilian 63.14 (for VA Arms Co Amateur Civilian Team)
Master Stock 56.09 (for VA Arms Co Master Stock Team)
Master Subcompact 67.47
Competition 59.07

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/Dan.jpg

Dan L scores are:
Amateur Civilian 64.89 (for VA Arms Co Amateur Civilian Team)
Master Stock 62.24 (for VA Arms Co Master Team)
Unlimited 65.27

So the two VA Arms Teams scores are:

VA Arms Co Master Stock Team score is 174.51
VA Arms Co Amateur Civilian Team score is 211.10

Here's a close up of the sights:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/b2442b35.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/59567b04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/f2f66790.jpg

Glockster35
05-20-07, 17:41
GotM4,

Where did you find to purchase both the Warren Tactical sight and the Dawson at? I would rather combine shipping into one purchase!

Also, does your rear have any dots, luinous or otherwise?

Robb Jensen
05-20-07, 17:46
GotM4,

Where did you find to purchase both the Warren Tactical sight and the Dawson at? I would rather combine shipping into one purchase!

Also, does your rear have any dots, luinous or otherwise?

It's a plain black rear sight and I bought them separately, bought the Dawson directly from Dawson and bought the Warren rear from Helmie at I-SHOT.

Glockster35
05-20-07, 18:49
Cool, if I think I will need help I will call on you to assist!

Also, the pistol int he middle of your pictures with the red fiberoptic sight, is that the Dawson?

Also, do you ever shoot the pistol indoors or in dim light, and what are your experiences?

Robb Jensen
05-20-07, 19:59
Cool, if I think I will need help I will call on you to assist!

Also, the pistol int he middle of your pictures with the red fiberoptic sight, is that the Dawson?

Also, do you ever shoot the pistol indoors or in dim light, and what are your experiences?

Yes thats the Dawson. Indoors it's still great w/decent lighting, in really poor light it still picks up a tiny bit of ambient light. No where near as good as a night sight in really low light.

RyanS
05-20-07, 22:21
I received my Warren Tactical plain rear, Triji front set a couple of weeks ago. Due to work and family conflicts, I've only had a chance to use them once. I need some more trigger time to wring them out and develop an honest opinion, but so far I do like them.

Matt Edwards
05-21-07, 17:52
M4,
Are those all G17s? Sorry, I can't be sure...
Matt

Robb Jensen
05-21-07, 18:29
M4,
Are those all G17s? Sorry, I can't be sure...
Matt

No.

L-R Glock 31, Glock 34, Glock 17.

I no longer own or shoot extended slide Glocks, these are the only ones I ever get the Glock bite on the web of my right hand. The 17, 19, 20, 21SF, 26, 31 & 32 I own now don't do this to me at all.

Glockster35
05-25-07, 12:12
What are the advantages of using the Dawson F/O sight versus the Warren F/O front sight system?

I need to nail this down before I make a purchase!

Looey
06-02-07, 00:17
I agree with GotM4.
I love the warren rear because it allows you to see more of the target(head plates, steel, head shot for idpa or ipsc).
I love the fiber optic front because it helps you pic it up so much faster, i used to not want to get away from night sights because of i wanted to stay as close as i could to my carry gun. when competing you want the thin fiber optic, for me they are faster.

Kisara
06-27-07, 04:26
What are the advantages of using the Dawson F/O sight versus the Warren F/O front sight system?
Ok gotM4, help us out. In that photo of all three from the rear, is it just me or is the Dawson a little taller than the others?

After finding this old thread and then checking out both Dawson and Warren's websites, I may go this route over the Heinie SlantPros that I originally planned on buying. I did see that Warren offers a complete set with there own fiber optic front.

Robb Jensen
06-27-07, 04:53
Ok gotM4, help us out. In that photo of all three from the rear, is it just me or is the Dawson a little taller than the others?

On a Glock I prefer a Dawson front (it's fiber optic tube is longer thus slightly brighter). I do like that the Warren fiber front has it's dot it higher up on the front sight because I shoot my Glock 17 (Warren rear/Dawson front) slightly high when shooting very fast because I'm not aligning the sights perfectly and I'm "shooting the dot" meaning pulling the trigger as soon as I see it in the A zone and within the rear notch.

The Dawson front isn't taller than the Warren sight, the pics sort of make it look like it. Warren sights (front and back) are made to the same height as a Heinie sights.

Aud_VDW
07-03-07, 23:52
Gotm4, what kinds of triggers are in those 3 glocks?

Robb Jensen
07-04-07, 09:41
Gotm4, what kinds of triggers are in those 3 glocks?

I don't own the G34 anymore but it had a Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector, stock trigger bar. I did a some polishing of the striker, trigger bar and firing pin safety and I used a 15lb Wolff recoil spring, Wolff steel guide rod and Wolff reduced power firing pin and striker springs and a stock trigger spring.

My G31 currently has a Ghost 3.5lb connector pretty much the same but with a stock striker spring and stock recoil spring assy. Soon I'll be changing out the frame for a stainless CCF frame and using my .40 barrel for a cheap backup Limited gun for USPSA. I'll probably have the slide lightened up quite a bit.

My 17 is used for training and GSSF and is pretty much all stock (different sights and grip tape) but whole bunch of polishing and 12K rounds through it. Sights and skateboard tape are the only add-ons.
When using it to shoot USPSA Production and IDPA Stock Service pistol I use a Ghost 3.5lb connector, a Wolff lighter striker spring, Wolff reduced power firing pin safety spring and Wolff steel guide rod and a 15lb recoil spring.

Glockster35
07-04-07, 21:20
I got my Warren sights a few weeks back, and I have yet to get range time with them, but they are very fast from the drills I have done in the garage, I like the F/O front sight, but I think it sits weird on the slide. Not sure, but I think it is canted to one side. I will look at it more in depth soon, still working on some other things on the pistol before I take it to the range for it's maiden voyage!