PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep track of a round count?

Chadzillaa
05-25-10, 01:26
Just out of curiosity...do you guys keep a running total on the exact number of rounds you have fired through your guns? I haven't on my AR, but know its getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 rounds.

I just bought a new M&P 9 last week and have kept track, mainly because I am in the midst of the 2000 round challenge. Im at 250 total and 150 so far for the challenge.

Do you keep track of the round count on your rifle, handgun, both, or neither? Please discuss and feel free to include any round counts of any particular guns you wish to share.

tobasco
05-25-10, 01:32
Use to when I first started out, bu not anymore.

opmike
05-25-10, 05:26
Neither, however I DO shoot every single week, and the same ammo each week unless there's a sale. I also keep all of my brass. So from those two, I could work out approximate round counts if I were so inclined.

RogerinTPA
05-25-10, 08:24
I have a range book, broken down by weapon (pistols, shotguns, ARs). I list the rounds fired that session, and a total round count. Any malfunctions that have occurred, what round count it occurred, and when it was last cleaned. I also used it as a maintenance function to swap out parts at the point where the weapon failed at the last interval, or clean other areas that aren't normally cleaned during a normal cleaning, like the striker assembly and it's channel, on the M&Ps.

LMTRocks
05-25-10, 09:34
I do keep a round count on my ARs. It's easy. I load my magazines to 25, and keep a count of how many mags i went thru that range session. I load my pistol mags to 15 as well. My Beretta CX4 has mags that go from 15 to 17 to 20rds, so I load all of them for 15. It makes the tracking much easier. Plus I reload, so my brass count keeps me aware of how many primers, powder, and bullets I need to feed the habit.

agr1279
05-25-10, 09:44
I keep track of the rounds through my National Match rifles but not the pistols. I've thought about it but haven't done it yet. I don't keep records of my work guns though.

Dan

Boss Hogg
05-25-10, 10:54
It takes about a minute to open an Excel file, and update it. Guns are in the columns and dates in the rows. Takes a while to set up but I think you should have a serialized gun inventory anyway.

You will see that some truly are safe queens!

SHIVAN
05-25-10, 12:40
Never exact.

JSantoro
05-25-10, 13:24
Pistol and rifle, but only to the point that I know when to replace parts according to the maintenance schedule of a given platform. Not exact.

Molon
05-25-10, 14:01
http://www.box.net/shared/static/fb7tfv3110.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rsidaj17l0.jpg

epete
05-25-10, 16:40
I don't keep specific numbers on individual guns, but I do keep the end of primer boxes. Each box end equals 1000 rounds. This really only relates to weapon round count if you only shoot one gun per caliber. In my case that equates to 7000 rounds of .45 equals two recoil springs down and add another to my Brownells wishlist.

kaiservontexas
05-25-10, 16:48
I have tried but I always forget exactly. I am too busy to just start writing down things when I am out in the country; so, I keep an approximation running for as long as I am able.

seb5
05-25-10, 16:55
I do on my service pistol, fairly accurate but not on a spread sheet, on my primary AR the same. My .308 precision weapon, pretty much exact numbers.

Col_Crocs
05-25-10, 19:06
I simply count before going out and keep note if reload any magazines. While my counting has so far been fairly accurate, it's not my primary concern. I do it mostly to note issues should they occur and help me break things down to the root cause.

Deaj
05-26-10, 12:37
I don't keep a detailed count. I do keep an approximate count for each firearm though, give or take a couple hundred rounds.