PDA

View Full Version : New M&P owner

13MPG
05-25-10, 01:26
Well, I took the M&P plunge.

I always liked the lines of the M&P pistols but I was a little leery of buying on due to the Sigma line of pistols. I read tons of great M&P reviews in several different magazines, but heck I don’t think I have ever read a bad review.

I had been toying with the idea of picking up a polymer .45 and I had already owned a USP and a G21 and both of them did not work out for me. The grip on the G21SF felt a lot better but I did not think it was worth the gamble to buy one only to find that I did as poor with it as I did with the G21.

When I joined this site I noticed how much favor the M&P pistols had with people that use them hard and this helped changed my mind. I found a nice used M&P .45 local to me and did some trading and brought it home late last week. I have only been able to put 50rds through it but so far it has exceeded my expectations. I don’t have enough time with it yet to pass judgment on the trigger. My only complaint with the gun is the grip feels slick. I’m not sure if they all are like this or if it just from being used.

I ordered a few of the 14rd mags from G&R. My other plans for it are:
Peters Spada holster
Boresight or Bowie for grip work
Night sights Right now I am leaning towards Heinie Straight 8s but I still have some research to do.
And lots of mags!

Thanks M4C for making my wallet lighter!

Chadzillaa
05-25-10, 01:34
Congrats! I am the recent owner of a new M&P 9 and I love it! I don't think you can go wrong with a pistol from this line. Make sure to put plenty of rounds through her! .....and post pics!

John_Wayne777
05-25-10, 07:23
I also find the grip to be a bit slick for my tastes even on new guns...especially the indented area of the grip where there is no factory stippling. That happens to be the point where my left hand anchors to the grip of the gun. To resolve that, you can go to Home Depot and purchase 3M Safety Tape that is ordinarily used on steps for ladders and the like, and then cut out properly sized pieces of that tape to affix to the grip of the gun.

There's no need to do the whole grip, as that would be uncomfortable. Examine your grip carefully and figure out where you need extra purchase and then strategically add the tape in those locations. It makes a big difference...although I will warn you that if you fire 600 rounds in a day through the pistol you will probably wear through your skin and draw blood. I've built up a calloused area on my weak hand where I make contact with the safety tape so it no longer bothers me much.

Boss Hogg
05-25-10, 07:30
Further to JW777's advice, if you hit the grip with rubbing alcohol before applying the grip tape, it will adhere better. Also wash your hands very well before application to get the oils off.

JSantoro
05-25-10, 12:25
3M Safety Tape

Do you find that the adhesive on the tape doesn't have too much in the way of staying power, or do you simply plan to replace it as stuff eventually works in under the edges and peels it?

I'm futzing with this right now, and the stuff I put on the front-strap and the bare areas between the front- and back-straps is fine, but whatever I put on the hump of the backstrap always wants to peel off. Maybe the combo of the factory texturing (I'm being generous with that term) and the curvature of the back-strap doesn't provide enough surface for the adhesive to want to stick no matter how clean it is.

Sort of a moot point, I'm gonna get this thing stippled or do it myself, but just wanted to ask the question.

John_Wayne777
05-25-10, 12:42
Do you find that the adhesive on the tape doesn't have too much in the way of staying power, or do you simply plan to replace it as stuff eventually works in under the edges and peels it?

So far a single application has lasted through multiple classes and even daily carry without problem. I'll see if I can post up some pics of how I do it tonight.

I'm futzing with this right now, and the stuff I put on the front-strap and the bare areas between the front- and back-straps is fine, but whatever I put on the hump of the backstrap always wants to peel off.

When I've tried to apply on the backstraps it does tend to lift around the edges a bit...but so far it hasn't come off on me. I do press it down when I handle the gun.

jaxman7
05-25-10, 14:08
The grip tape does work great on the front strap and if you want added grip on the rear but don't want to add tape or stipple it yourself go to speedshooterspecialties.com. They sell backstraps already stippled by Accurate Iron and have them in different sizes and textures. $27 each

SpookyPistolero
05-25-10, 14:21
Alternatively, I've used skateboard tape with great results on several carry weapons. I've never had the tape wear or peal off. I also greatly prefer the texture over the 3M stuff, that's totally personal of course. Ten bucks at a skate shop will get you a lifetime of grip tape (versus lord knows how much to have professional checkering/stipling done on every carry gun).

Velcro
05-25-10, 14:31
here is my only issue...the Hinged Trigger!!!

When the Sigma first came out, it faced 14 paten infringements, one being that the trigger was a two part trigger that also acts like a safety that some seemed a little to close to the Glock.

One of the biggest issues that I have with that trigger is that if it breaks, you can't use the gun...period. With the style of trigger that they did for the Glock, you can at least cycle the gun, if the M&P trigger breaks, you cannot use the "trigger stub" that you are left with... and I have seen a Sigma break.

Great gun...any caliber, but replace that trigger. They make one piece replacements.

Velcro

13MPG
05-25-10, 18:44
here is my only issue...the Hinged Trigger!!!

When the Sigma first came out, it faced 14 paten infringements, one being that the trigger was a two part trigger that also acts like a safety that some seemed a little to close to the Glock.

Great gun...any caliber, but replace that trigger. They make one piece replacements.

Velcro

Wow, 14! I did not know it was that many.

Just out of curiosity, who makes replacement 1pc triggers for the M&P? Also I though that the hinged trigger was a safety?

Velcro
05-25-10, 22:14
but off the top of my head, I do not know who makes that one piece trigger. I think I was told that it is similar to the Glock Trigger in design but for the M&P, so it still acts a s a safety.

My Local Agency went to the M&P across the board and officer that worked the whole deal out or was apart of it, was telling me about the trigger he put on his service pistol.

I will look to find out, great gun though. I really do like all the M&P line of products.

Velcro

Alien
05-25-10, 23:03
but off the top of my head, I do not know who makes that one piece trigger. I think I was told that it is similar to the Glock Trigger in design but for the M&P, so it still acts a s a safety.

My Local Agency went to the M&P across the board and officer that worked the whole deal out or was apart of it, was telling me about the trigger he put on his service pistol.

I will look to find out, great gun though. I really do like all the M&P line of products.

Velcro

Funny, I like the M&P's hinged trigger but absolutely hate the "trigger on the trigger" mechanism found on Glocks. Ah preferences.

13MPG
05-26-10, 00:13
Well, time and ammo will tell me how much I like the trigger. I am going to send one of the grip panels of to Cold Bore Customs tomorrow for the tactical texture job. For $15 I don’t think I can go wrong.

The big dilemma for me is what sights to go with. I got a chance to look at a set of Straight 8s today and I’m not sure if I like the dot on dot.

spamsammich
05-26-10, 02:14
Well, time and ammo will tell me how much I like the trigger. I am going to send one of the grip panels of to Cold Bore Customs tomorrow for the tactical texture job. For $15 I don’t think I can go wrong.

The big dilemma for me is what sights to go with. I got a chance to look at a set of Straight 8s today and I’m not sure if I like the dot on dot.

I find straight 8s to be much less confusing in low light and quicker on target than 3 dot tritiums.