PDA

View Full Version : Ricochet & Spinners

jmp45
05-25-10, 09:49
Is it an absolute do not use fmj with a spinner? I picked up a spinner good to 44 mag. I'm not going to use it with fmj unless I know it can be done safely. If so, what would be a safe range for 9mm? Any particular way to set to help avoid ricochet? We used them at a ccw class and it didn't seem to be an issue.

John_Wayne777
05-25-10, 09:56
Forgive me if this question sounds stupid, but what exactly is a "spinner"?

thopkins22
05-25-10, 10:07
I believe he's talking about a steel target that hangs from a fulcrum and when hit "spins" up and over the top.

If that's the case it's perfectly safe to shoot it with fmj, and most people tell you around ten yards is where you should draw the line for pistol steel.

Be absolutely positive to wear eyes and ears, because the splatter can come back pretty hard for 20+yards.

jmp45
05-25-10, 11:26
This is the spinner I was referring to.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23471-1.html

It says not to use fmj and out at least 25 yards. I think these were set much less than 25 yards at the class. Other reviews on various sites users are using fmj with it. Just want to be safe.

Thanks for the input guys..

shootist~
05-25-10, 11:50
10 Yds is generally safe against (pistol) "splash-back" so long as the steel target is not dimpled (dented), shot face-on and have no raised edges or bolts to re-direct the splash.

If that target is not T1, armor plate or similar hardened steel, I would not assume it's suitable for pistol rounds at close range -regardless of the jacket material. Put some dents in it and it will start to throw stuff back at you - or the person next to you. A slow all lead bullet is generally worse (for splash-back) than a fast jacketed bullet based on studies done years ago by the U.S. training agencies.

Good steel is expensive. On a spinner, I would also worry about bouncing high angle shots over the rear berm. Good steel set-ups have a slight forward angle so the splash is directed downward.

ETA MGM's web site - a good source for quality steel targets. Also see his FAQ's:
http://www.mgmtargets.com/faqs/index.php#howClose

John_Wayne777
05-25-10, 12:38
OK...I don't know why but when I saw "spinner" I thought spinning rims or something. :D

I've got that same target at home. I've used it several times with no problems.

jmp45
05-25-10, 13:37
Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll make sure it's out at least 25 yards and throw away when it starts getting dimples.