PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day at the Range - What Went Wrong?

Race
05-25-10, 10:56
I went to the range the other day and am perplexed with what I did wrong. I was firing a brand new Colt 6920, an older Colt SP1 CAR-15 and an Arsenal Inc. Bulgarian milled AK-47. All shots - and I mean every one of them, was approximately 8" below the center of the target. Targets were just some 100-yard bulls-eye type.

I was using a rest, firm hold and open sights. Ammo was Federal XM193 55gr.

It's been a long time since I've fired an AR and AK, but this was embarrassing. Firing an M1A with open sights at 100 and 200 yards at the same range are on target. Even firing a Marlin .30-30 with open sights at 100 yards are on target. Remington .308 bolt with scope all on target, but the ARs and AK were not.

I was holding the ARs and AKs like this: Pulling the rifles into my shoulder at the mag well. I was putting a lot of downward pressure on the pistol grip, but it seems that would have made shots higher, if there was any effect.

I'm obviously doing something very wrong. Can anyone suggest what I may be doing?

Thanks,

Jay Cunningham
05-25-10, 11:00
What time of day was it? What was the weather like?

Race
05-25-10, 11:08

It was around 2-4:00 PM, clear and around 78 degrees. Wind was mild/moderate, but there. I was under a covered shooting area, which was a bit dark.

I should have also noted that most of my shots that day were also about 1.5" to the left. The wind could have been causing that, but I'm not ruling out middle aged eyes and ineptitude...

Thanks.

thopkins22
05-25-10, 11:10

Exactly. Light can play funny tricks on your eyes, making the front sight appear taller, making you hit low.

fls9497
05-25-10, 12:01
Was this the first time you shot these rifles? Did you sight them at a closer range first (ie. 50yds)? Plus you never mentioned if you adjusted for windage & elevation. Yes conditions will vary... but shooting 8" low is alot.

Race
05-25-10, 12:05
It was the first time I had fired each of these rifles. I didn't change anything on the sights, was just trying to see where they were hitting, first. Since I was obviously doing something wrong, I didn't make any adjustments.

I'm planning to sight them in at 50 yards next time, but need to correct whatever I did wrong before making changes.

I neglected to mention, I had replaced the AK rear sight with a Krebs ghost ring. The rear was set at 100 yards and I could suspect something with the sight if I hadn't been consistently off with each rifle.

thopkins22
05-25-10, 12:09
It was the first time I had fired each of these rifles. I didn't change anything on the sights, was just trying to see where they were hitting, first. Since I was obviously doing something wrong, I didn't make any adjustments.

Well...dude. The rifles don't come zeroed. If you're groups were consistent, then you weren't doing anything wrong. Zero them.

Failure2Stop
05-25-10, 12:12
Zero your rifles.