PDA

View Full Version : Staked bolts

heavyfire7537
05-20-07, 14:33
Does anyone manufacture and sell "staked" bolts? I am in the learning process on the AR.

C4IGrant
05-20-07, 14:52
Does anyone manufacture and sell "staked" bolts? I am in the learning process on the AR.

What is a staked bolt? You mean staked carrier key?

C4

heavyfire7537
05-20-07, 15:14
yes, I was multi tasking

C4IGrant
05-20-07, 15:28
yes, I was multi tasking

Most all companies stake their carrier keys in some fashion, but only a couple of them do it right. Here is a short list:

LMT
Colt
BCM
FN contracted BCG's that we assemble
Sabre Defence
Armalite
S&W 15A/15T (these are LMT BCG's are well)

C4

Robb Jensen
05-27-07, 10:49
Most all companies stake their carrier keys in some fashion, but only a couple of them do it right. Here is a short list:

LMT
Colt
BCM
FN contracted BCG's that we assemble
Sabre Defence
Armalite
S&W 15A/15T (these are LMT BCG's are well)

C4

Grant,
I just installed a 7" DD Lite Rail yesterday on a brand new just delivered unfired Armalite carbine (.223). This was a private purchase directly from Armalite to a federal law enforcement officer. The key looked as if it was staked by a hamster. The barrel nut was so tight that I had to cut off the delta ring, weld spring and snap ring with a monster set of bolt cutters and use a big plumbers monkey/pipe wrench to break the barrel nut loose. It was on with zero moly grease and probably torqued to somewhere around 150lbs+.

Robb

C4IGrant
05-27-07, 11:01
Grant,
I just installed a 7" DD Lite Rail yesterday on a brand new just delivered unfired Armalite carbine (.223). This was a private purchase directly from Armalite to a federal law enforcement officer. The key looked as if it was staked by a hamster. The barrel nut was so tight that I had to cut off the delta ring, weld spring and snap ring with a monster set of bolt cutters and use a big plumbers monkey/pipe wrench to break the barrel nut loose. It was on with zero moly grease and probably torqued to somewhere around 150lbs+.

Robb

That is a shame. The ones I looked over at Shot had promise. Then again, that just might be a small batch of bad stake jobs that got out.

The 150lbs torque job I think is common through out the industry. I see them on everything from LMT, Colt, RRA, BM, Stag and DPMS. I also see the 10lbs torque job as well. :rolleyes:

A local cop brought his BM in for some work and asked me to look it over. The stake job was as you say "done by a hamster." I also decided to take Ned's 556 reamer to it and go all kinds of material back. So much for a 556 NATO chamber....

C4