PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys pin your Magpul MIADs?

Veracity
05-25-10, 19:36
Guys,

I own three MIADs but haven't pinned any......yet. Never saw the need.
I was looking through some of my stuff the other day and I started wondering if I should.

How about you guys?

Has anyone assembled one only to find that you needed to pin it?

Infidel74
05-25-10, 19:41
I have never pinned any of the miads i have put on my rifles. I never saw the need. Maybe I will now. My back insert has never moved though.

thopkins22
05-25-10, 19:46
I put the roll pin in on all of them. It's not something to do if you have any question about which backstrap you prefer though, as they seem pretty secure without it.

But once you settle on the right size, I think that it's the right course of action. Otherwise it seems a little like not staking your castle nut because the torque should hold it.

Col_Crocs
05-25-10, 20:08
I personally do. Depending on how it fits your lower, you may or may not need to but since it's provided, you might as well IMHO.
Ive observed both situations first hand. One on mine and the other on a friend's AR. While it made no difference on mine pinned and unpinned, the other guy's back strap did have a small gap and a bit of movement.

Caeser25
05-25-10, 20:26
Once I figured out which backstrap I needed I did.

Infidel74
05-25-10, 21:09
Well now I fell like i didn't finish the job like the other poster said not staking the castle nut. I like to do things right not half-ass.

thopkins22
05-25-10, 21:15
Well now I fell like i didn't finish the job like the other poster said not staking the castle nut. I like to do things right not half-ass.

No worries. I've seen a castle nut come lose, I have not seen nor heard of a MIAD falling apart. But it's certainly extra insurance...so I do it.

kaiservontexas
05-25-10, 21:27
I did once I settled on which back strap.

fls9497
05-25-10, 21:32
I pinned mine when I first put it on. I've also taken it out and repinned it again. That's because I tried other backstraps that came with it and even did color changes. The pin still goes on tight and secure every time I've re-installed the back strap.

120mm
05-25-10, 22:45
No worries. I've seen a castle nut come lose, I have not seen nor heard of a MIAD falling apart. But it's certainly extra insurance...so I do it.

I believe Pat Rogers has seen a couple come apart during his classes, but he sees so many rounds go downrange each year, he has probably seen a left handed leprechaun, too.

Infidel74
05-25-10, 23:20
Now to find out WHAT box I put the MIAD package. I have so many boxes and ammo cans of stuff. I have one big large box my wife bought me I should collect all the parts and put them in there. :confused: Where are you miad pin:confused::(

kaltesherz
05-25-10, 23:22
I hadn't pinned mine till I read this tread.:D

they
05-26-10, 00:13
Tried pinning my MAGPUL MIAD but the pin wouldn't go in strait... (it was starting to **** up the plastic) so I don't use the pin...:confused:

Moose-Knuckle
05-26-10, 08:09
I believe Pat Rogers has seen a couple come apart during his classes, but he sees so many rounds go downrange each year, he has probably seen a left handed leprechaun, too.

Do you recall if those MIADs were pinned or not?

120mm
05-26-10, 09:19
Do you recall if those MIADs were pinned or not?

Now that you mention it, nope.:o

Iraq Ninja
05-26-10, 09:35
Mine fell off from carrying the weapon, not shooting it. Took a few months, but it got very loose. It needs to be pinned...

UVvis
05-26-10, 09:50
I've had one on a well used gun start coming loose. When the grip bumps the dirt and gets used lots, those will kinda work loose. All mine get pinned now, and should be pinned.

There is no reason not to pin it. Pin still comes out easy, and how often do you really have to change the backstrap anyway?

cgcorrea
05-26-10, 10:00
Initially I didn't pin mine. But later on as my round count increased I realized that it might be a good idea to do so, if only for added value securing it in place.

Moose-Knuckle
05-26-10, 10:04
I pinned mine when I first installed it on my Colt. Since we are on the installation of the MIAD....

Anyone ever have a grip core come out or become loose and fall out?

ForTehNguyen
05-26-10, 10:08
good thread, I'll take a look at mine when I get home, hopefully I can find my pins

kdcgrohl
05-26-10, 10:15
Mine are all pinned.
On a KAC IWS lower, if the backstrap were to drop down, you lose your takedown pin spring & detent(s).

Captains1911
05-26-10, 10:59
once you're sure which backstrap you prefer, and you don't plan on switching out backstraps for different shooters, I see absolutely no reason not to pin it.

emfourbinator
05-26-10, 12:26
When the Magpul trials MIAD grips were shipped back in '04-05, I was shorted a roll pin with my kit.
Since I didn't have the right size rollie around, I used a 027 track pin...and it worked perfectly. I pin
all my MIADS as a matter of course, since I use the same front and back for all of 'em. Never had a
core fall out, but then I use inner tube wrap which goes around the bottom to a degree. Good grip,
and keeps everything snug. Still the best AR grip on the planet!!!:)

Ash Hess
05-26-10, 17:42
Not pinning leads to a large amount of Self Loathing when realize that the grip only comes with one of your preferred sized backstraps and it is on the side of a mountain one helicopter ride away. Not that I would know that feeling.. ;)

99HMC4
05-26-10, 17:52
Not pinning leads to a large amount of Self Loathing when realize that the grip only comes with one of your preferred sized backstraps and it is on the side of a mountain one helicopter ride away. Not that I would know that feeling.. ;)

:eek::D Oh thats great! I pinned mine cause it closed the gap a bit....

jklaughrey
05-26-10, 21:36
No reason not to pin it, I mean you get all the tools and equipment necessary in a nice little package with instructions in English even!