PDA

View Full Version : where do you leave your ccw?

Country DeVil
05-26-10, 01:33
I go to the gym a lot and I was wondering what you guys do with your ccw while lifting? leave it in the car, gym locker, or keep it on you the whole time?

Alien
05-26-10, 01:36
Bring it in with me into the gym in my bag and lock the bag up in the locker. It's pretty inconspicuous. It's in a Maxpedition Versapack (some might argue those aren't inconspicuous) so it's readily accessible if I need it.

VHinch
05-26-10, 07:27
I rarely if ever use a locker at the gym, so mine tends to stay in the car while there.

gtmtnbiker98
05-26-10, 07:32
In the car.

orionz06
05-26-10, 08:06
I leave mine in the car ATM, but I question those who leave it in the locker. I always have a knife with me, in my gym pants, but what confidence is there in leaving it in the locker?

Zhurdan
05-26-10, 08:08
Whenever I have to go into a "No carry" zone, I use one like this Gun Lock Box (http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm). (not this exact one, but same concept)

It fits under the seat, cables to the seat frame, and is out of sight. It's not the best solution, but it's better than the glove box.

I have a heavier duty one in the Jeep, but that's only because I have room for it in that vehicle.

Anjin-san
05-26-10, 08:25
I carry my P229-9mm and a spare mag while off duty. At the gym it rides in a Galco fanny pack along with my credentials and keys. I wear it while I'm lifting and doing cardio unless I'm running on a treadmill. When on the treadmill I wrap the waist strap around the front hand grips on the treadmill. Eventhough I'm not wearing it the fanny pack is directly in front of me and strapped to the treadmill.

John_Wayne777
05-26-10, 08:42
I go to the gym a lot and I was wondering what you guys do with your ccw while lifting? leave it in the car, gym locker, or keep it on you the whole time?

I usually have a 442 in an Eagle fanny pack or an LCP in the track pants (better than fingernails). In my gym bag is an M&P 9C and a belly band. The gym bag is not opened and gets put into the locker where I use my lock. When I'm done with the workout, I go into the locker room, clean up a bit, head into the private bathroom, and then put on my belly-band and 9C for the drive home/wherever else.

sammage
05-26-10, 08:57
Stow mine in the car.

CyberM4
05-26-10, 09:41
I keep mine locked in a locker while I worked out.

skyugo
05-26-10, 10:01
a smart carry works quite well under gym shorts. something worth considering, especially for those who carry smaller guns.

Oscar 319
05-26-10, 10:12
DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING in your car while at the gym!

This is a prime target for thieves, especially the larger Gyms like Gold's and 24 hour. The criminals know that this is a gold mine. No one works out with a wallet in his pocket, or carries a purse on them. Secondary is the locker rooms. Not as common and as easy, the theory still applies. They work in teams. In locker rooms they have a look out while they pop lockers. In the parking lot there is a get away driver/look out.

In parking lots, smash and grab is the name of the game. They will do it in plain sight. They smash. They grab. They are gone.

There is no easy answer to this question. If you have to leave your gun, secure it in a lock box or lockable glove box.

MookNW
05-26-10, 12:08
I sure hope no-one carries while working out in the gym.At least at my gym, or someone I care abouts gym. I feel it would be too difficult to keep the muzzle in a safe direction.

Dos Cylindros
05-26-10, 12:33
I sure hope no-one carries while working out in the gym.At least at my gym, or someone I care abouts gym. I feel it would be too difficult to keep the muzzle in a safe direction at all times.

Well I don't think that is much of a concern. No different that carrying in a grocery store or other public environment. I carry off duty alway, with the exception of the gym. I leave my off duty gun at home, and this is the only time I make that exception. I can not stand anything but an iPod stapped to me while I am working out, especially while running and while I carry a backpack with me while at the gym I would not want to explain to my department how I had a gun stolen or lost (even my own) while at the gym. I am not lucky enough to work for a department that would go easy on such a thing.

ST911
05-26-10, 13:20
One of the fanny packs with a couple of slots for water bottles works well as you move between machines/stations.

SmokeJumper
05-26-10, 14:30
One of the fanny packs with a couple of slots for water bottles works well as you move between machines/stations.

This is what I do, stay with me the entire time, unless I pocket carry the J-frame or small 9mm. I don't trust the lockers at the gym. I used to leave it locked in my vehicle until one of my counterparts did the same but had his car broken into and his weapon stolen. We got it back in a couple of days, but it is still a no no for me.

SWATcop556
05-26-10, 19:52
The #1 rule in a gunfight is..............HAVE A GUN!

I carry a G26 with a spare mag and my badge/ID card in a runners fanny pack. My wife gave me all kinds of hell about it until that shooting at the gym happened a year or two ago. Many sheepdogs join the flock of sheep at places like the gym. You may not be the coolest looking guy lifting weights with a man purse on your waist but IF something goes down you don't want your last thought to be "damn I wish my gun wasn't in my glove box/locker/safe. Just food for thought.

Omega Man
05-26-10, 20:18
I make sure mine is with me in a 511 fanny pack, after hearing about that guy last year that walked into an aerobics class and started shooting the women in the class. I have worked in various gyms and there were always locker break in's, so thats out. If i need to enter a government bldg., i put my pistol in the trunk, until i come back.

tpd223
05-27-10, 01:11
Galco fanny pack, been doing this for many years, never had an issue.

Moose-Knuckle
05-27-10, 03:41
I don't have this problem as the gym I go to is LEO only. It's owned by my department and sister city's PD. We have weapon lockers in the actual weight room itself!

CAVDOC
05-27-10, 12:32
I agree with do not leave unattended in your car- in NY having a gun stolen out of your car is cause to get your pistol permit revoked(in NY you need a permit for simple possession, so a revoked permit =no more pistols at all!) If it were me locked in a gym locker in a bag or box that concealed it would be ok, maybe even a long cable lock locking it to the locker hardware even? ultimately I would feel best if it was right with me, even if that meant carrying a bag form machine to machine with me.
I guess being from NY and a gun owner makes you quite paranoid!