PDA

View Full Version : Officer shot and killed in Phoenix.

5pins
05-26-10, 14:30
Thoughts and prayers to the family

Police say officer shot, killed while responding to call in west Phoenix; suspect arrested

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/phoenix-police-say-officer-shot-killed-gas-station/?test=latestnews

PHOENIX (AP) — Police have arrested a suspect in the shooting death of an officer in west Phoenix.

Police had responded to a call early Wednesday about someone trying to cover up a Ford Mustang with a tarp in a carport of a home around 19th Avenue and Indian School Road.

As police investigated, shots were fired and the officer was struck. Fellow officers put the wounded officer in a police car and took him to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he died.

Police have a suspect in custody and have taken him to police headquarters in downtown Phoenix.

Authorities have not identified the slain officer. Other officers are gathered at the hospital to show support.

Detectives are investigating. Traffic is restricted on 19th Avenue.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

PHOENIX (AP) — Police have arrested a suspect in the shooting death of an officer at a gas station convenience store in west Phoenix.

Police had responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle around 19th Avenue and Indian School Road when the officer was shot around 1 a.m. Wednesday.

Police spokesman Sgt. Trent Crump says the officer died at St. Joseph's Hospital.

Police have a suspect in custody and have taken him to police headquarters in downtown Phoenix.

Authorities have not identified the slain officer. Other officers are gathered at the hospital to show support.

Detectives are investigating. Traffic is restricted on 19th Avenue.

Click here to read more on this story from MyFoxPhoenix.com.

C-grunt
05-26-10, 14:43
Word on the street is he was shot in the leg. Hit the Femoral Artery.

Ill let you guys know anything I hear.

Buck
05-26-10, 14:46
no words...

11B101ABN
05-26-10, 14:51
RIP Officer.

Carry a CAT, guys. Our local EMS supplys all of the LE in the county w/ CAT's and blow out kits at no charge.

Dont know if would have made a diff here but it sure cant hurt.

C-grunt
05-26-10, 14:53
RIP Officer.

Carry a CAT, guys.

I have one in my bag. But I dont know if it really would have helped here. From the shooting scene to the hospital was only a few miles.

SeriousStudent
05-26-10, 18:19
Prayers sent for the fallen officer, his family and friends.

May the murderer receive the fullest measure of justice.

Ark1443
05-26-10, 18:25
Thoughts out to the officer.

Now if it turns out this, suspect, is an illegal... imagine the storm from that. :mad:

cop1211
05-26-10, 18:40
The suspect shouldnt have been taken in alive.

Low Drag
05-26-10, 19:09
Thoughts out to the officer.

Now if it turns out this, suspect, is an illegal... imagine the storm from that. :mad:

I was wondering if this was an illegal. The fire storm will have to come from the people. It certainly won't come from those in power whether they be in Washington or the MSM.

Oscar 319
05-26-10, 19:26
My thought and prayers to the Officer's family and co-workers.

It is going to be a long, hot summer this year. Be careful out there guys.

sff70
05-26-10, 19:50
I carry a CAT and other things in my plate pouch. Just saying . . .

Oscar 319
05-26-10, 21:22
From Law Enforcement Today:

Phoenix, Arizona
Phoenix Police Department
Officer Travis P. Murphy

End Of Watch : 05-26-10
Officer Travis Murphy, 29, was shot to death early this morning. Initially, a vehicle had been pulled over for a traffic violation but the driver took off. After a witness called in to report someone trying to cover/hide a vehicle matching the description of the fleeing car, Officers responded to the area. Officer Murphy, a 4 1/2 year veteran to the PPD, encountered the suspect who then opened fire, shooting the Officer. His fellow Officers rescued Travis from the scene and drove him to the hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds. The suspect was tracked and found by a K-9 Officer and was bitten by the dog and taken into custody.

Officer Murphy leaves behind his beloved young wife, their 2 year old daughter and 2 week old baby.

Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to the Murphy family as well as to all the Men and Women of the Phoenix Police Department.

Travis, you ran toward the danger where most People would have run away from it. You LIVED your life and you GAVE your life to PROTECT the People of Phoenix. Please know that your children will be looked after by all your Brothers and Sisters and they will grow up knowing that their daddy WAS A HERO.

Rest with peace Officer Travis P. Murphy ... We have the watch from here.

http://phoenix.gov/police/index.html

UPDATE: UPDATE: Danny Ledezma Martinez, 30, was booked into jail on charges of first-degree murder and weapons violations. He has an extensive violent crimes record with the Department of Corrections

Adam0331
05-26-10, 21:46
Rest in Peace...

rifleman2000
05-27-10, 10:27
This country needs a serious overhaul of the justice system. How many victims do we have from repeat violent offenders?

Rest in peace, officer, and thank you for your service.

JackOSU
05-27-10, 14:08
RIP sir, my prayers go to your wife and young children. May they know their father's story and be very proud of his service.

No family should have to go through this shit.

Our government and justice system is a complete failure and disgrace!

SWATcop556
05-27-10, 14:52
RIP

Prayers for the family.

armakraut
05-27-10, 18:09
This country needs a serious overhaul of the justice system. How many victims do we have from repeat violent offenders?

Rest in peace, officer, and thank you for your service.

Big +1 there.

C-grunt
05-27-10, 20:41
Well officer Murphy was ambushed by the suspect who was using an AR15. He suffered from multiple wounds to the lower abdomen and legs. he did somehow manage to get off two shots from his weapon which is amazing in my belief.

Watch out for crap like this guys. Its becoming more and more common.

kry226
05-27-10, 21:09
:(

That's all.

Karcas
05-27-10, 22:23
Prayers are with the family!

Did a little lookin around and found this
http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=193416671128&cid=full

MIKE G
05-27-10, 23:10
I have one in my bag. But I dont know if it really would have helped here. From the shooting scene to the hospital was only a few miles.

I dont know the details of this incident BUT you can lose enough blood from a femoral bleed to die in a matter of minutes (less than 10), when you start to add up the time it would take to ID an officer down, move him to a vehicle, drive to the hospital even a few blocks away, move him to a wheel chair or bed, expose, assess, and treat you can lose a lot of blood. With the exception of a high femoral/groin hit a TQ would be able to slow the loss of blood and prevent escalation through the stages of shock to death. In the presence of a high femoral/groin hit packing and pressure could/would/should reduce the flow and slow the rate of bleeding until emergency surgery could hopefully be performed.

While none of these things may have saved this officer it does not diminish the fact that these tools have saved many lives and it is disturbing that many departments will not provide it's officers with a minimal amount of personal equipment and training to reduce mortality from such injuries.

I hate to see cases like this, we are diminished.

sff70
05-28-10, 02:56
Any confirmation on the femoral bleed?

C-grunt
05-28-10, 03:01
Any confirmation on the femoral bleed?

No, just that he took several hits to the pelvic area and legs with an "AR-15 style rifle" and passed from a loss of blood.