PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 Glock 17 mags

Omega Man
05-27-10, 01:39
Do Gen 4 G17 mags work in Gen 3 Glocks?

Robb Jensen
05-27-10, 07:25
Do Gen 4 G17 mags work in Gen 3 Glocks?

Yes, Gen 4 mags will work in all four Gens of Glocks.

YVK
05-27-10, 10:59
Please be aware that there are apparently 2 types of Gen. 4 mags. I've just bought 7 mags that were advertised as Gen 4 by both seller and the source where the seller got those. I somehow assumed that all Gen 4 mags were ambi-capable, and the ones I received don't have that ambi cut; they do have new followers

mvician
05-27-10, 17:56
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/GLOCKs/Gen4mag.jpg

Littlelebowski
05-27-10, 18:29
Please be aware that there are apparently 2 types of Gen. 4 mags. I've just bought 7 mags that were advertised as Gen 4 by both seller and the source where the seller got those. I somehow assumed that all Gen 4 mags were ambi-capable, and the ones I received don't have that ambi cut; they do have new followers

Sounds like you did not buy Gen4 mags.

YVK
05-27-10, 21:31
Sounds like you did not buy Gen4 mags.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl199mm154th.html

These are G19 but they also had G17 like this, branded as Gen 4. Go figure. I do think that these aren't really gen 4 but I have nobody to blame other than myself for not asking the right question.

Omega Man
05-27-10, 22:03
CDNN is where i just bought a happy stick and a G17 mag. Great prices, but i wonder about the confusion with the so called "Gen 4 mags"? I dont care if the mags are ambi. I just want them to work in my G19.

Assy Mcgee
05-28-10, 02:12

CDNN offers what they refer to as "gen4 mags". these are in fact the 4th generation of glock mags made for the GEN3 models. (2nd to most recent manufacture, as they have the older style follower & lips design.)

GEN4 glocks use their own proprietary mags that work with the ambi mag release on either side.

CDNN is the only one i have seen so far that uses this confusing (although not technically incorrect) title.

Obiwan
06-14-10, 22:03
Please excuse what is probably a really stupid question

But are you saying that you cannot use older G17 mags in the new Gen4 pistols???

YVK
06-14-10, 22:09
I believe you can, but you won't be able to reverse the mag release to opposite side. In addition, there has been some noise that Gen 4 Glocks prefer new "6" follower, but I don't know how substantiated it is.

RAM Engineer
06-14-10, 22:12
You can, but not if you want to use the magazine release on the right side of the gun (left-handed).

True Glock 22 "Gen4" mags (note: not "Gen 4", which is, as noted above, something different) have the following differences:

1. "9" marked follower.
2. small "2" notation and the lower spine of the magazine body.
3. Left-side mag catch slot (standard Glock), Center mag catch slot (SF style), and Right-side mag catch slot (new for Gen4).

I have no idea about the Glock 17's however, as I've not handled one.

Quiet
06-15-10, 05:56
The confusion of what a 4th generation Glock magazine is, is due to how some retailers label Glock magazines. Initially, 1st gen = NFML "pre-ban". 2nd gen = FML 10 round "during ban". 3rd gen = FML "post-ban". 4th gen = FML ambi-mag release cut. Why the ambi-mag release cut magazines were called the 4th gen, is due to their speculations that the SF Glocks were the 4th generation Glock.

Contrary to popular belief, there are currently nine generations of Glock magazines.

Glocks with the standard magazine release can use any (1st-9th) generation of Glock magazines.

Glocks with the ambi-magazine release can only use the newer (8th-9th) generation of Glock magazines.

Glocks with the reversable magazine release set-up on the left (standard) side can use any (1st-9th) generation of Glock magazines.

Glocks with the reversable magazine release set-up on the right (alternate) side can only use the newest (9th) generation of Glock magazines.

1st-8th generation Glock magazines.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/quiet_wolf/G17mags-numbered.jpg?t=1276598554
The 9th generation Glock magazines come with the Gen4 Glocks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20magazines/Gen4mag.jpg

Robb Jensen
06-15-10, 06:10
You can, but not if you want to use the magazine release on the right side of the gun (left-handed).

True Glock 22 "Gen4" mags (note: not "Gen 4", which is, as noted above, something different) have the following differences:

1. "9" marked follower.
2. small "2" notation and the lower spine of the magazine body.
3. Left-side mag catch slot (standard Glock), Center mag catch slot (SF style), and Right-side mag catch slot (new for Gen4).

I have no idea about the Glock 17's however, as I've not handled one.

Similar with the Glock 17 Gen 4. If you want to use the mag catch on the right side of the gun for left handed use you must use the newest mags with the proper cut for it as well as the newest 9mm followers which have a 6 on them.

Outrider
06-15-10, 13:29
Has there been any real word (not just a guess) on when the real Gen 4 Glock 17 mags will be available to purchase separately?

-I've tried searching for the answer but the search function isn't working properly.

Obiwan
06-15-10, 20:25
Thanks...if I could not use all my current g17 mags it would not be an option:D