PDA

View Full Version : Skateboard tape: Any fans?

SpookyPistolero
05-27-10, 11:15
I put a couple of strips of skateboard tape on most of my carry/heavy use guns. My 1911 only has it on the front and backstrap, as the grips are checkered enough to get a sure grip. On a lot of my plastic pistols however, I find it can get slick easily when sweating.

Hence I decided to whip out my roll of tape and go to work on my new G19. I've got tape in the finger grooves, along the spine, at the sides, and two up front as references for the trigger finger and support thumb. Having used it on other pistols, I don't expect this to end up being 'too much', but you just never know until you put a few hundred rounds downrange with it on.

Why skateboard tape? First, it's cheap. I think it costs <$8 for a full roll (enough to cover a skateboard) and I haven't used even 1/5th of mine on all my guns so far. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than professional stippling/checkering! Second, it's removable. If you don't like it, you can peel it right off without consequence. Third, it's durable. I've never had mine peel off. Lastly, you can put it in any spot/space to suit your needs.

My work isn't particularly clean cut or anything, but this isn't a beauty contest...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_2567.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_2569.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_2568.jpg

Anyone else use this stuff, albeit more judiciously? :p

tire iron
05-27-10, 11:26
I have used grit tape on some guns when I used to shoot IDPA - but it was a little too abrasive for my tastes when it comes to CCW. If found it would "sand" my clothes! (Thus creating unwanted holes.)

However - for a competition gun - it does indeed work well - and has the attributes that you listed.

cheers

tire iron

aftershock
05-27-10, 11:45
I like the rubber grip better than sand paper type

ruckusjuice
05-27-10, 12:15
I haven't tried this myself, but a friend puts some on the top of the slide, between the rear sights and the ejection port to aid in power stroking. He says it's working out quite well.

opmike
05-27-10, 13:01
The guys over at the Brian Enos forums turned me on to TruGrip. They are pre-cut and, at least in my experience, are a little more durable than some regular skateboard tape that I've been able to find locally.

I don't use them on my carry guns, however.

Mjolnir
05-27-10, 16:06
I use it on the left side of my polymer pistols. I'm right handed and use a high, thumbs forward support hand grip. So I use grip tape on the upper lhs frame. It allows a tremendous amount of friction with little effort. Certainly makes a difference for me.

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-27-10, 16:15
Love the stuff, I've got it on my comp / game gun that I never carry. It has just the right texture to give enough grip to control recoil but adjust the grip if you have a crappy one during draw. It does not shed and tends to last between 6 mo to a year and a half depending on use and temperature. I've found the heat really kills the adheasive alot faster than when I lived in more temperate climates and they tend to peel easier. I sometimes add a little superglue right at the seems where one piece of grip tape lays ontop of another (none on the actual frame) to make them last a little longer.

I wouldn't use it on a carry gun as I think shirts would catch on it too much, but I am considering just putting a little grip tape on the support palm area of my glock (I'm right handed, so tape on left side of pistol against the skin while holstered) to aid in recoil control while preserving concealability like Mjolnir was saying. I am just a little concerned though that it will be uncomfortable.

Mjolnir, how has your CCW experience been with this set up?

TIA,
GU

Cagemonkey
05-27-10, 18:50
Got some on the frontstraps of my Berretta and S&W 1911.

infidelprodigy
05-27-10, 18:53
I've seen it put on top of the slide just forward of the rear sight to aid in manipulating the slide while with one hand only. Really helps if you're using slantpro or similar sight that don't have a noticeable shelf on them.

DocGKR
05-27-10, 19:39
3M decktape works well...

Cruncher Block
05-27-10, 20:19
3M decktape works well...

Aye. I've put it on an older-style SureFire shotgun forearm (made before SureFire put an actual grip on it). It works great and it's stayed on for years now.

bkb0000
05-27-10, 20:43
i don't like grip-tape for the same reason i don't like stippling- chews up your CCW clothes like crazy. especially for me, with my blanket-lined vests and jackets.

it'd be great if somebody would come out with a spray-on texture that adds friction but doesn't have a super abrasive texture. i spray rustoleum textured paint on some of my gear, and it works OK for my needs, but it does wear smooth again pretty quick.

4-5 months... stopped being "grippy" after 3 or less. STILL grippier than just the raw glock polymer, though.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/pistol/101_3107.jpghttp://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/pistol/101_3103.jpg?t=1275010793

LOKNLOD
05-27-10, 21:10
I'm a reforming grip-tape junkie. Turns out, if I just grip the darn pistol right, and as tight as I should, I don't have as much trouble holding on to it as I thought, making the grip tape a bit excessive. I still have a few places I find it useful (like the bottom side of the Glock triggerguard, for extra traction for the support hand index finger) but no longer feel like it absolutely has to be all over everything.

it'd be great if somebody would come out with a spray-on texture that adds friction but doesn't have a super abrasive texture.

I wonder if something like the Duplicolor aerosol bed-liner would work? Might add too much thickness. Link (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html)

kmrtnsn
05-27-10, 22:23
I've put it on the front strap of all my SIGs. Brownell's sells a super adhesive high quality version in 2" widths; just trim to fit.

Spade
05-28-10, 00:29
Got it on the front & back of my grip for my AR also on the front & back of the most of my mags.

DasBulk
05-28-10, 01:41
Yep. Im a fan. Had it on my daily carry 19 for about two weeks now and Im liking it so far.
For Glocks, I HAVE to recommend Talon Grips.
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1323/dsc01723y.jpg

Drew78
05-28-10, 07:18
I use it on the left side of my polymer pistols. I'm right handed and use a high, thumbs forward support hand grip. So I use grip tape on the upper lhs frame. It allows a tremendous amount of friction with little effort. Certainly makes a difference for me.

Agreed!

Chris Rhines
05-28-10, 23:18
My competition guns, the ones that don't get concealed, all wear Gorilla Grip tape. I replace the grip tape two or three times every year, usually before big matches.

I like the grip tape, because I can control the gun with less pressure from my strong hand. Makes for faster splits and better accuracy.

My fighting guns get minimal stippling, so as not to ruin my clothes. It's a tradeoff.

-C

MTLefty
05-29-10, 02:53
I like it on the front and back straps, especially the back strap. I noticed an immediate difference when I first used it & now I'm addicted.

The best part is going into a skate shop, asking for grip tape, and saying it's for a gun if they ask. :eek:

bkb0000
05-29-10, 03:06
I wonder if something like the Duplicolor aerosol bed-liner would work? Might add too much thickness. Link (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html)

as i recall, the spreadable dupli bedliner is way too thick.. but aerosol is inherently thin, so maybe that's worth checking out. i didn't even know they did an aerosol version.. good lookin' out.

cdunn
05-29-10, 05:32
I almost ought the pre cut,then I bought a whole sheet for a skateboard for like $6.00. I've put it on all my glocks and on the front strap on one of my 1911s.I like it.

Alien
05-31-10, 06:50
I was thinking of trying trying some of the 3M safety walk tape, but opted for the more permanent solution of stippling my gun with a wood burning tool which came out great. I was curious however for those that have the grip tape on the underside of the trigger guard and side of the frame, how well does it hold up to holstering and unholstering the gun? I'd figure it'd peel and wear the tape fairly quickly?

LHS
05-31-10, 09:18
I was a fan of skateboard tape until I moved to Phoenix. It doesn't survive the summers well here, especially on a gun carried in an IWB rig.