PDA

View Full Version : Colt never made 30 round Mags Right?

ffhounddog
05-21-07, 06:29
Colt Floor Plates were never on 30 round mags am i correct.

A gun store has "Colt 30 round Mags" around here and they have old Colt Floor Plates. Can anyone tell me if this is true. I am not buying any but I stopped one of my Airmen from buying them on Friday.

I am just wondering because I have only seen Colt 20 rounders.

They were charging 25.00+tax a mag for Colt brand and he wanted 6 Mags. I gave him a few sites to get some Magazines from.

Robb Jensen
05-21-07, 06:37
They're roll stamped Colt but Colt doesn't actually manufacture them.

TheDutchman
05-21-07, 06:40
$25 each sounds about the going rate for Colt Mags. I believe Colt had another company D&H Industries (Le belle) make 30 rd Mags for them, however I would not be a authority on this issue. I wounder if someone can chime in and clarify?

Pat_Rogers
05-21-07, 06:58
The baseplate is often used by companies to identify the sakes origin of the mag- Colt, BM, BCM and others do this and it is not a scam but smart business.
Colt doesn't make magazines. Those who have loyalty to base plates are sometimes perplexed about this, but facts rightly overide myths.l

Rifleman_04
05-21-07, 07:36
Holy Crap! $25 for a freakin 30rd mag? Ok a name is not worth that much. What makes the ones with "Colt" on the bottom better than my $13 NHMTG milspec mags?

Pat_Rogers
05-21-07, 07:42
Holy Crap! $25 for a freakin 30rd mag? Ok a name is not worth that much. What makes the ones with "Colt" on the bottom better than my $13 NHMTG milspec mags?
They actually make the magazine sold by Colt, and there are people who believe that the Colt name on the baseplate ensures quality.

I may be wrong on this, but NHMTG is not a DoD magazine manufacturer- they do commercial magazines only

AMMOTECH
05-21-07, 09:08
I may be wrong on this, but NHMTG is not a DoD magazine manufacturer- they do commercial magazines only-- Pat

I saw a few here at work last week that were only maked with the DOM on the side. The base plate was empty of any info.
All the others that I see are OK, LeBelle and Center Ind. Have not seen any NHMTG or D&H yet.

Edit: I just looked at one with the plain floor plate and it was marked Center. Ind on the side.

C4IGrant
05-21-07, 11:41
They're roll stamped Colt but Colt doesn't actually manufacture them.

Yep. OKAY Ind. (NHMTG) makes them. OKAY has the current DoD contract (I believe) and NHMTG is the commercial branch.

C4

AR-15A3
05-21-07, 18:27
Colt sells 30 round mags but like the others said they were made for them by the noted magazine maker.

They have black plastic followers and the floor plates are marked:
Horsey logo CAL 5.56 MM
Colt's Firearms Division
Colt Industries
Hartford, Conn USA

I was mainly using the Colt 30 rd mags prior (late 80s) and during the AWB and had no problems with them, after the ban was over I bought other brands like D&H, C Products and HK.

ST911
05-21-07, 19:30
Colt Floor Plates were never on 30 round mags am i correct. A gun store has "Colt 30 round Mags" around here and they have old Colt Floor Plates. Can anyone tell me if this is true. I am not buying any but I stopped one of my Airmen from buying them on Friday. I am just wondering because I have only seen Colt 20 rounders. They were charging 25.00+tax a mag for Colt brand and he wanted 6 Mags. I gave him a few sites to get some Magazines from.

Some of my LE6920s came with NHMTG 30rd mags, all had Colt-branded baseplates.

I note that there are frequent "WTB" posts looking for Colt baseplates, and not all end up back on the OEM mags. One shop-owning goon installed a batch of baseplates on a box of USA (or similar junk) mags insisting they were the real deal. Caveat emptor.

Bison
05-21-07, 21:04
They actually make the magazine sold by Colt, and there are people who believe that the Colt name on the baseplate ensures quality.

I may be wrong on this, but NHMTG is not a DoD magazine manufacturer- they do commercial magazines only

NHMTG/Okay is a DoD contract holder and makes many of the mags currently being sent to Iraq. That is why, from what I understand, they keep going on back order from various online mag suppliers.

Rifleman_04
05-21-07, 21:07
Thats what I thought. I knew Id seen a few of the NHMTG mags in our Armory.

Bushytale
05-22-07, 01:16
In the early '90s after Desert Storm there were a lot of GI mags on the market, because of the huge orders for the thought to be long ground campaign. I saw case lots (100) from Okay at that time. Some of the mags in those case lots contained Colt base plates. They were bulk packed with only vapor paper between the 10 mag layers in each box and had the test marks and other finish rubs from not being plastic wrapped. They were 30 rd. mags. Just a point of interest.

:cool: Billy