PDA

View Full Version : Pocket carry...pros/cons? who does it and why..

willowofwisp
05-27-10, 15:38
I have recently become a fan of pocket carrying my kahr pm9 in a fist #5 kydex holster...with my situation being a college student in Detroit i found it was easier to grab the gun and extra mag and throw them in my pocket every time i was to arrive/leave campus (its illegal to carry in the dorms and class rooms in Michigan). I have practiced drawing from the pocket and while i find its not very fast compared to other carrying methods it still works.

The only pro's i can really find to pocket carry is concealability and its another place to carry a gun if you wanna carry two.

Any other thoughts/comments on pocket carrying? or what you pocket carry and the hoslter that works for you?

Shawn.L
05-27-10, 15:49
Cons:
adds a good second to my draw
hard to get into the pocket if you are in a compomised position

Pros:
comfort
concealability in the summer
and.... pre-deployment

You can easily walk around with a hand in a pocket without raising an eyebrow. Esp if you start to feel iffy about a situation, guys following you down the street, ect.

Look for pants with large comfy pockets woth low sitting openings so they are easier to access.

I have a FIST for my PPS.

I prefer to carry a 1911. But sometimes life makes you compromise.

ST911
05-27-10, 15:55
I pocket carry J-frames or Glock subcompacts. It is a highly effective way to carry a BUG, or a primary gun in a non-permissive environment.

Certain pants lend themselves to it better than others. Experiment with combinations of cut, material, pocket openings, and like variables with your choice to arrive at best concealment. Like any other carry mode, you may need to make some tweaks to wardrobe choices.

There are lots of adequate to excellent pocket holsters out there. A good starter holster is the Uncle Mikes.

Check out the video and article(s) by David Kenik on pocket carrying, they are a good primer. I believe we've also had other threads on pocket carrying with more detailed info and photos as well.

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-27-10, 15:59
I also use a Fist #5 pocket holster but for a G26 w/ CT laser and Concealable control base plate. This is my typical CCW if I have pockets big enough. I've been carrying this way for the past year since I moved to the desert, though just recently I found that the tab for stabilizing the holster under the dust cover is starting to crack. I called fist and they offered to replace it for 1/2 cost, not too bad. If my pants pockets are too small for a G26 I use a J-frame in a mika pocket holster (very good holster IMO).

I like pocket carry because

Extremely concealable
Comfortable
Discrete to establish firing grip
Quick to draw and present from while standing (1.5-1.7 for me from pocket if a grip is already established around the gun inside the pocket, target = 12in. plate at ~10m)

I live in a very hot and dry area and wearing heavy and big CCW clothes is not that fun so pocket carry w/ a baby glock gives me an acceptable compromise between "having enough gun" and having a gun that is small enough to carry all the time.

The cons:

Slow to draw from seated position
Slow to draw if grip is not already established (3-4 seconds for a 10m 12" target, a little more time if moving)
You need to be careful the gun does not slide out of your pocket in bucket seats or deep couches

It works for me and is how I typically carry. It is a good compromise for me of accessability and concealability considering my low risk life style, climate and method of dress. I don't like loosing the front pocket for "stuff" if I only have 4 pocket jeans on but if I have cargo pockets I've got enough room for everything. I usually carry a G17 reload in my support hand pocket. If I am going to a less nice part of town at night I usually "try" to carry a G19 IWB or AIWB w/ extra G17 mag for a reload (whichever I've been practicing) in addition to my pocket pistol.

*FYI Some pockets are too small to carry the G26, and other pockets are big enough to carry the pistol but the opening of the pocket can make it difficult to draw. If you're considering carrying a semi as a pocket gun, get the magazine of the pistol you intend on carrying and make a fist around it in your firing hand, then see if you can insert and remove your fist wrapped around the mag easily into the pocket of the pants that you will carry with. This will give you a rough idea of how it will feel to present the pistol. I find that the G26 can be much more difficult to draw from certain (tight opening) pockets not because the pistol is that much bigger, but because the double stack grip of the G26 makes my fist much bigger than the small jframe grip and this can cause it to hang up during presentation in some pockets. Try before you buy and definitely before you carry.

GU

QuietShootr
05-27-10, 16:13
When I can't carry a full size gun, (which isn't often any more) I carry a .357 340PD in a Nemesis with a Bianchi Speed Strip.

LHS
05-27-10, 20:57
I carry a J-frame in a pocket for many of the above-stated reasons. I find that it conceals well with a proper pocket holster, especially if the pants are designed with a Woolrich/EOTAC/5.11-style cell phone pocket overlaying the front pocket to mask the outline of the gun.

Being able to just put my hands in my pockets and have a grip on the gun for pre-staging is nice. The downside is trying to access while seated.

willowofwisp
05-27-10, 21:03
I thought of also employing ankle carry to take care of the while seated issue. Ankle rigs aren't noticable IMO and they have some pro's too

Dirk Williams
05-27-10, 23:33
Ive been carrying the same AMT Hard Baller 45 ACP pistol in my right pants pocket for about 20/24 years now. it works especially well with short pants, flip flops, and a shirt.

The AMT always rides in the right pocket, an extra 6 round mag and an Emerson pocket knife ride in the left pocket. It's simple comfortable but most important it ALWAYS goes with me no matter where I go away from my home.

This set up is to un-ass the area should it get ugly yet comforting to know that you have a pocket full of 45 acp plus a spare mag should you need it.

This old friend has gone many miles with me and never failed me when called on or produced in self defense. I not a 380/9mm fan and don't believe that Ill consider change any time soon.

It's hard to beat a 45acp pocket pistol.

Regards,
D Williams

Ed L.
05-28-10, 02:59
Remember, just because you are carrying a gun in your pocket does not mean that you can't carry a larger or more capable gun elsewhere.

The only reason I would have just a pocket gun is because under the circumstances I could not conceal anything bigger.

The key thing is to use a pocket holster which serves to keep the gun oriented muzzle down and to break up its outline.

Another key is to carry absolutely nothing else in the pocket other than the gun in the pocket holster.

I use a Kahr PM-9 or a S&W J frame for pocket carry. An important part of the equation is having a tailor deepen your dress pants pockets to give the gun more room so that it doesn't risk printing. Though most 5-11 type pants have enough pocket room, dress pants generally don't and will print when you sit down.

I use the Kahr PM-9 at work because you have to pass the same people every day who might notice things that strangers on a street might not. This might have repercussions where corporate policy prohibits the carry of weapons that are otherwise legal to carry.

The J-frame Smith, though it doesn't hold as many rounds as the Kahr PM-9, because the grip is easier to slip your hand around.

With pocket carry you can have your hand in your pocket on the gun ready to draw if necessary.

At one time I carried a Glock 26 in a pocket holster but it was too big and bulky with too many sharp edges that could get caught if you try to draw it at an awkward angle.

Below is a picture of my Kahr PM-9 and S&W 640 both in Uncle Mikes holsters. It's hard to tell from the picture how much flatter and more compact the Kahr PM-9 is.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/pockguns.jpg

mike benedict
05-28-10, 16:34
I almost always have a pocket pistol with me either a Ruger LCP or a S&W J-Frame.

Why would you not have a pocket gun with you?

Mike

brushy bill
05-28-10, 17:39
I've find a S&W No lock 442 in a Mika pocket holster or Colt Cobra in a Simply Rugged a comforting presence. Of the two guns, prefer the internal hammer 442 for reasons outlined in a previous post and becoming reluctant to use Cobra due to replacement parts and availability of Colt gunsmiths. Both holsters are good, but I personally prefer the Mika.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-28-10, 18:26
Frankly, I think most civilian folks are wasting their time training with full sized autoloaders that they are not going to use. I am the pot calling the kettle black so no need to pile on. We would all be better served if we spent all our range time training with J-frames.

CaptainDooley
05-28-10, 22:01
Frankly, I think most civilian folks are wasting their time training with full sized autoloaders that they are not going to use. I am the pot calling the kettle black so no need to pile on. We would all be better served if we spent all our range time training with J-frames.

I agree 100% that one should train with what they carry. But I also have never understood the argument that a person can't carry anything larger than a J-Frame/Keltc/Kahr/whathaveyou. I just had this argument the other day with a friend who is a police officer. He told me he just can't carry his duty gun (Glock 23) off duty because the double stack is simply too big to conceal. That's why he carries a Keltec .32. After a couple of minutes he asked why I was smirking. I lifted up my T-shirt to show my S&W M&P 9mm FS. His eyes just about fell out of his head.

I pocket carried the wife's M&P 9c a couple of times and found it to be comfortable and easy to do - but I kind of like having my full size gun on my hip...

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-28-10, 22:43
I have carried autoloaders for nearly 20 years. I know it can be done.

willowofwisp
05-28-10, 22:46
Some good input in this thread so far, I am liking the different opinions

bkb0000
05-28-10, 22:54
vests rock

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/36/l_03ea5134e2e94a01a713e9b069a04873.jpghttp://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/47/l_80969cfbca404c0b8eab59a620480b44.jpg

BWT
05-28-10, 23:51
I plan on picking up a Ruger LCP in the near future, and my inspirations for doing so are a few.

1.) I can carry it while doing physical activity that I normally can't carry a full size pistol, golfing, at work, and maybe some other places that don't lend themselves to carrying a 1911 with spare magazines, or any other full size pistol in an IWB holster.

I try to carry a gun whenever/wherever I can as a general rule

2.) Also, I would like a BUG, for whatever reason if my (to me) proven carry piece fails... I'll have a backup.

3.) As others have stated, easy and quick access, if I see something sketch, and don't want to put my hand on my hip near the small of my back or tuck my thumb under my shirt to prep a draw stroke or something like that while out and about, I can instead, put my hand on a pistol and hold it.

That's way better than trying to position it to provide a good draw from concealment, IMHO, it saves seconds.

I'm thinking about carrying the BUG on my weak side's front pocket and keeping my 1911 where it is for my strong hand.

It'd also be helpful if for whatever reason you're shot in one arm while trying to draw it, you can reach for another gun with another arm.

Reports of gun shot wounds to extremities pretty much give the impression of being useless after being shot in them. May be different with your legs, but... your arms I can easily see that.

YMMV.

Also as much as I hate to admit it, I'm thinking I'm going to go with either an LCP or LCR, My mom has an airweight S&W, and for me... they're cost prohibitive, college student and such.

CaptainDooley
05-29-10, 08:10
I didn't mean to imply that you were making the argument that large firearms could not be carried, sorry if it came across that way. Your comment just brought to mind the fact that I had recently had that conversation.

I have carried autoloaders for nearly 20 years. I know it can be done.

Reddevil
05-29-10, 09:05
Pocket carry is great for a secondary gun. I carry a J frame in offside pocket on duty. For primary, there are better options. I want my primary accessible from any position and pocket carry does not offer that.

Robb Jensen
05-29-10, 11:17
Pocket carry is sometimes the only thing you can do.

I had inguinal hernia surgery a few weeks ago so following that I can't wear a snug belt so I'm wearing shorts since it's warm here in VA and carry my Ruger LCR (w/CTC laser) in my pocket with a DeSantis Nemisis holster I carry a speed strip (revolver and speed strip loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr JHP Short Barrel) for back up and always close by is my Glock 22 Gen4 (loaded with Federal HST 180gr). It'll at least be a few more weeks of having to carry this way and then I'll be back to my Glock 19 Gen 2 in a Raven Concealment holster.