PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911 to base an ICQB in DE on?

TehLlama
05-27-10, 17:11
I have my Les Baer TRS, which I absolutely love - so it needs a twin (of sorts), and I've got parts around to make something similar to the Kimber MCP-1s that were made for the Det1 guys.

I have a $2000 budget (for the complete unit), and I'm fairly set on the following modifications (as I already have most of the parts), so I'm very curious which base gun would serve best:
Les Baer Custom Carry (5")
Colt Gunsite Pistol
Colt XSE Ser80 Parkerized
SpringfieldArmory Loaded Parkerized

I'm after a 5" pistol with ambidextrous safety, acceptable accuracy, and the following:
Addition of Dawson precision light rail
Textured frontstrap (checkered, scalloped, chainlinked or stippled)
Novak sights with tritium inserts (three-dot)
GI Recoil Plug assembly
Commander Hammer (or C&S complete ignition kit) - EDM sear set, and at 4-5# pull overall trigger
Hand tight bushing (well fit preferred)
Solid trigger with fixed overtravel (10-8 or C&S make great ones, I'm set on this).

I'll do this whole thing in a rugged Dark Earth coating.

I already have a custom mainspring housing, and the Gunner grips, as well as the Surefire light and holster that fits this combination.

For the base unit:
I already have a Springfield Loaded Park unit - it needs to go back to springfield to get an extraction issue looked at, but I have it, and the sights are there, but it would need significant metalwork. I'm most willing to work on this myself.
I have my eyes on a Colt XSE - great looking pistol at a good price, but the sights need swapping, and I'd have to get a new beavertail memory bump safety, which would set me back $150 or so.
The Colt Gunsite would be nice - a Series 70 pistol from Colt, but it would require just as much metalwork as the above - serrated frontstrap won't fly for me, but would be attractive once finished.
Last, the Baer CC would be probably the best fit - least work involved (install MSH, maybe swap trigger, add Dawson rail and done), and I'd be able to recycle the grips onto my TRS for a carry gun. Starting cost would be the highest, but overall cost is within $150 for all these, and the CC would have the tightest fit and most hand-fitting of parts.

Any advice, questions, etc.?

TehLlama
05-29-10, 12:51
I'm leaning towards the Baer, though I'm also considering taking a Kimber and de-MIMing it.

Amp Mangum
05-29-10, 14:46
I'd go with the Baer. Little to do to it other than add the rail.

Assy Mcgee
05-29-10, 14:50
i'd send $500 more and get a springfield armory PRO. last i checked, Bud's had them in stock.

willowofwisp
05-29-10, 22:43
I would either go with a les baer CC or spend the few extra bucks on a springfield Pro with a rail

PJ2RESQU2
05-30-10, 10:07
If I remember correctly, a few years ago when the ICQB pistol was all the rage Kimber did a Custom I run for 10-8 Consulting. It was built to serve as a base gun based on Hilton Yam's input. That may be an option for you if you can find one someone wants to part with.

I hope this helps!

Robb Jensen
05-30-10, 10:42
Mine is a Kimber Warrior...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/062009004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/062009008.jpg

TehLlama
05-30-10, 14:53
Not to worry Robb, yours was my primary inspiration for making this thing Dark Earth.