PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 450 Bushmaster...Thoughts?

5POINT56
05-21-07, 12:42
Hornady 450 Bushmaster Video Intro (CLICK ME) (Hornady 450 Bushmaster Video Intro)

http://www.hornady.com/media/07_450_bushmaster.jpg

450 Bushmaster

Hornady introduces big bore performance for the AR platform.

450 Bushmaster Nicknamed "The Thumper," the new 450 Bushmaster is the most radical cartridge ever chambered in production AR-15 type firearms. Hornady brings big bore performance to the most popular semi-automatic rifle in America — opening a whole new world of hunting to the battle-proven platform.

Hornady engineers worked closely with the Bushmaster design team building the cartridge to wring every last ounce of performance from the AR-15 without sacrificing any strength or reliability.

Well suited to hunt any North American game, the 450 Bushmaster will quickly become a favorite of bear country guides. By simply switching uppers, shooters can go from the prairie dog towns of South Dakota to bear country in the north woods!

* The 450 Bushmaster fires Hornady’s 0.452” 250 gr. SST-ML featuring Hornady’s Flex Tip™ technology.
* The overall cartridge matches the 223 Remington at 2.250”, but uses a specially designed magazine.
* The SST’s sleek profile makes for surprisingly flat trajectories and tremendous downrange energy.

Put it all together, and you have a cartridge that gives your AR series rifle a serious attitude adjustment!

So, what are your thoughts? We've seen some large cartridges come & go for AR's. How's this new chambering from Hornady going to do??

jmart
05-21-07, 12:57
Interesting but this will be a niche/boutique round. Little chance of large scale adoption by LEO or .mil. Could be an effective, short range hunting round.

5POINT56
05-21-07, 13:02
I agree. Love the idea, and Hornady knows their shit...but I've never been interested in needle-in-the-hay-stack types of calibers.

Readily available calibers get my attention since those I keep are proven and highly available.

AMMOTECH
05-21-07, 17:13
Video ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0f5wvgGew

SHIVAN
05-21-07, 20:55
These will appeal to hunters....

However, loaded with the proper projectile, they offer better SD than a 12ga slug and less frontal area to deform and stop the progress through an engine block, block wall, etc...

Moderate velocity, fair SD, heavy projectile = decent harder target penetration.

Unfortunately, I believe this round uses the pistol diameter bullets in .451 IIRC.

The 458 SOCOM, which is a similar design, uses rifles bullets of .458" diameter and available out to 600gr Tungsten.

Definitely niche rounds, but they have a solid market for hunters and other specialities.

rob_s
06-11-07, 04:47
I'd like to get one of these and see what it does on hogs. I'm very wary of buying any of these newer calibers though. I don't want to wind up with a betamax.

Nathan_Bell
06-11-07, 18:58
I'd like to get one of these and see what it does on hogs. I'm very wary of buying any of these newer calibers though. I don't want to wind up with a betamax.

I have been watching the 6.X debate for a long while, really like the 6.5G, but still not much stuff to shoot. Good thing is I may have gotter two of my friends to get into the AR game and they want a hunting round gun built, so I will soon be playing with a 6.5 I bet:p.

Half the worry, twice the guilt.

muskyjerk
06-27-07, 10:27
I wouldnt buy it.....

I realize the receiver are different....but they couldnt even keep their 308's going.

I have a 50 beowulf and love it. there is also the 458 socom is also out there if you need a choice.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/muskyjerk/IMG_0013.jpg

Sid Post
07-03-07, 20:51
The only reason I can see Bushmaster made this round with Hornady is to compete in the 458Socom marketspace which is owned by Rock River (meaning a legal contract).

If Hornady made 458Socom ammunition, I would buy it. Unfortunately, they decided to make a unique round.

9DivDoc
07-06-07, 23:56
The only reason I can see Bushmaster made this round with Hornady is to compete in the 458Socom marketspace which is owned by Rock River (meaning a legal contract).

If Hornady made 458Socom ammunition, I would buy it. Unfortunately, they decided to make a unique round.

If only they would.....

Lumpy196
07-07-07, 01:14
I have no idea what'd I do with it.

Cold
07-10-07, 02:37
These will appeal to hunters....

However, loaded with the proper projectile, they offer better SD than a 12ga slug and less frontal area to deform and stop the progress through an engine block, block wall, etc...

Moderate velocity, fair SD, heavy projectile = decent harder target penetration.

Unfortunately, I believe this round uses the pistol diameter bullets in .451 IIRC.

The 458 SOCOM, which is a similar design, uses rifles bullets of .458" diameter and available out to 600gr Tungsten.

Definitely niche rounds, but they have a solid market for hunters and other specialities.

Correct.

I think they were trying to capitalize on their success with the leverRev bullets and incorporate it into something new, sort of. I spoke with Steve Johnson at Shot and he said that it is very close to the 45 Pro of yesteryear...

Curlymaple42
07-19-07, 12:13
If they made the 450Bushy so you could shove a Sig P220 mag in there and shoot .45acp too, I would buy one!!! Kinda like shooting .44sp in a 44mag gun or whatever. Other than that, I got my .50Beowulf and love it! Keep it fed with stocked up brass and .335gr Rainiers plus specialty bullets as needed.

Wow, I just realized the last time I was on here was in December of 2006!! I never posted anything though.