PDA

View Full Version : G23 Slide FTLB on Empty Mag

Sparky5019
05-28-10, 07:22
OK, down to asking questions on this one; I just can't figure it out.

My wife's G23 will not lock the slide open after the last round. I installed LWD extended slide stops and it worked fine for a bit now it has stopped (no pun intended).

I have checked:

-Mags: Both factory new, spring do not seem weak, they feed well.
-Ammo: Factory BVAC 180 grain FMJ (~1000 FPS).
-Binding: Slife stop moving freely, return spring pressure not "excessive".
-Grip: My/her thumb is not riding on it even a slight bit (I even fired it left handed to be sure).

Any ideas?

Thanks, as always.

Sparky

opmike
05-28-10, 08:23
Are the failures to lock back consistent or intermittent (especially when you shot it left handed)?

Have you tried shooting the gun with the factory slide catch installed?

jaxman7
05-28-10, 08:42
Any time I start having problems I start by checking if I am doing something wrong (technique) and then what have I done to the weapon that might cause it to fail. Put the factory slide stop back in and see if that helps. Are you using factory Glock mags? Are they in good shape.

Sparky5019
05-28-10, 08:44
They are consistent, last round...slide goes back into battery everytime. As I said, the LWD slide stop worked flawlessly for a little while, now this. I will install the factory ss and see if the part is a problem. Thanks!

Keep the ideas coming!

Sparky

metalman
05-28-10, 10:17
I had the same issue, but I my problem was my grip, my strong hand thumb was riding it. Needless to say I was quick to blame the gun, but after the process of checking mags, slide stop, etc. I found the only thing it could be was my grip. Sounds like that may not be the case in your situation.

I agree with the others, take it back to stock configuration and try that. Let us know.

fls9497
05-28-10, 10:32
When you installed the extended slide stop, did you install the top pin (smaller pin) first and then the slide stop pin (bigger pin)? Taking the pins out is the same process... small pin first then big pin next.

Sparky5019
05-28-10, 10:52
I installed it that way...the locking block pin (your "small pin") keeps the ss return spring down to give it some tension.

Sparky

fls9497
05-28-10, 11:04
Does this only happen when shooting? Will the slide lock back even when you do it manually?

BMWguy206
05-28-10, 11:21
I know someone had the same issue on his Glock 19. Turned out the gun was just dry and needed some lube.

Sparky5019
05-28-10, 14:58
Grip is not a problem as it has locked back before and no problems with my G22...gun is wet; any more it would be sloppy. It locks back dry with no problem; ss is not binding/dry. Will advise when I try factory part. Thanks, keep the ideas coming!

Sparky

Sparky5019
05-29-10, 12:20
I must be crazy...

I took the gun with both mags out back and shot it today. All normal grip, etc. The SOB locked back on both mags. Maybe I was tired and riding the ss, but with my normal grip today all worked flawlessly.

Hmm, I will continue to be suspicious and continue to observe it.

Interesting.

Thanks for the ideas.

Sparky

Robb Jensen
05-29-10, 12:33
Whenever you're experiencing failure to lock back when empty at the range. The best thing is to take all your mags with you and load 1 round in each and shoot those left handed only. If it locks back everytime it's your grip. I have to grind my stock Glock slide stop levers down to a nub and still sometime have this problem. My grip is high and very aggressive. Doesn't do with M&Ps.

I shot 50 rounds through ToddGs M&P45 the other night and didn't have the problem either even despite it's very large slide stop lever (even after shooting over 500 rounds of 9mm in my Gen 4 Glock 17 the same night)....wow that Var 4 LEM HK trigger was nice after 16-17K rounds and the gun shot like a laser.

Sparky5019
05-29-10, 12:40
Yeah, that's what I did today was load each mag with 1 round...I shot them right handed today but it failed the other day when I shot it left handed. I have considered the M&Ps but I like the GLOCK so much! I may pick us an M&P9 to play with at some point but I am still getting used to the striker fired guns...I am a 1911 guy at heart and am used to the short trigger pull. Thanks, I'll continue to play and oberve!

BTW, did you get my PM about 6/12? You can PM me back about that if you want! Thanks again!

Sparky

Robb Jensen
05-29-10, 12:48
BTW, did you get my PM about 6/12? You can PM me back about that if you want! Thanks again!

Sparky

No or I may have deleted it on accident. My PM box fills every few days and I have to clear it out. Send it again please.

Another option is adjusting your grip and or modifying your Glock slide stop lever.

Sparky5019
05-29-10, 13:43
I'll send it here in a few minutes. It's her gun, I don't have the same problem with my G22. If it is consistent for her I'll work with her on that and maybe adjust the lever. Thanks.

Sparky

CAVDOC
05-30-10, 13:44
bottom line- if it worked with the stock slide lock why "fix" it with an aftermarket part?
Honestly about 80% of the gun problem threads I see on message boards have a story that goes like this:
I had my gun running 100% then replaced xyz part now it doesn't work -what do you think the problem is?

CyberM4
05-30-10, 21:05
I apologize to CyberM4. I did not see the post where Sparky mentioned the M&P. My bad.

Sparky5019
05-31-10, 08:37
CavDoc,
Please recall that I never mentioned that it stopped working when I put the LWD slide stop in; the obvious reason was that the LWD ss provided more for my thumb to contact WHEN I need to drop the slide on a fresh mag. Also, please understand that I was not looking to "fix" anything but to make my using the gun easier. Your post starts to look like one that is from someone who is trolling to increase his post count and not read the thread. If I am wrong, I am sorry and appreciate the input. If I am right, be careful...posts like this are getting deleted for not contributing anything but inflammatory and pointless remarks.

CyberM4,
I apprceiate that. While I like the USP from what I have seen of them...I'm not in the market for more handguns right now and HK tends to be pricey formy taste right now. As I recall, they sit alittle higher in the hand than the GLOCK does. When I get the chance to shoot one, I will just for comparison.

Thanks,

Sparky