PDA

View Full Version : NEW 1k YRD Range in Williamson Co. NOW w/ LaRue Tactical Range Day 16OCT10

Belmont31R
05-28-10, 10:23
Im pretty excited about this since its only about 30 minutes from me, and there arent too many places to shoot at this distance unless you own private land or know someone.

Anyways its about 10 minutes from HWY 29 and HWY 183 intersection out by Liberty Hill.

http://texasshootingrange.com/

I foresee myself spending quite a bit of time here....just hope they are not extreme range nazis like Eagle Peak is....

TAZ
06-03-10, 09:38
Great. Yet another place to help separae me from my hard earned cash. Nice to see a place crop up where I can stretch past 200. Hope they do well.

Belmont31R
06-03-10, 10:33
LaRue is going to be hosting their 3-gun there next year...:cool:

Belmont31R
07-20-10, 12:09
BTT for confirmed range opening date of this upcoming Sat.

Ill be there....:dance3:

Powder_Burn
07-20-10, 14:21
This is great news for the area since we really need more range access. In addition to Texas Shooting Range mentioned above, the building of the Texas Shooting Sports Complex to the south is under review by Hays county. A 563 acre riverfront tract has been selected east of San Marcos that would be divided between park and range use under the proposal. Good stuff happening....I can't wait to ditch the indoor ranges around here.

Belmont31R
07-21-10, 18:03
Went out there today, and things are looking pretty good. That 1000 yard line is a looooong way out there...wow...:D

* Most of the wind comes from the south so on the long shots the wind will be from 3 to 6. The range basically points ENE if I have a sense of direction at all.

Parking lot:

removed for now

Bench rest bay (1k yard line way out there):

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/d5e713fa.jpg

From the side:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/505fce5f.jpg

Tactical bays:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/b612e27b.jpg

Belmont31R
07-24-10, 17:23
As of today, 24JUL the rifle range is still not ready despite the owners sending out an email earlier this week saying the range would be open. I drove 35 minutes each way to find this out since they didn't bother to send out another email saying as much. I wonder how many people drove there today just to turn around 2 minutes later.

Great way to have a grand opening....:rolleyes::mad:

Belmont31R
07-25-10, 18:44
On TOS LaRue and Pat Rogers have announced a class to be held at this range.

Quoted Pat Rogers:

We are looking at 21-23Nov2010.

Please see the w/s for class info.
This is a physically demanding class and there are requirements for attending.

Agile53
07-29-10, 09:23
Anyone got more on the Pat class? Was looking @ catching him up in Garland, we comm'd about that but this is closer for my partner in Kville, looked @ the EAG WS, didn't see anything & nothing on LF, update?

Belmont31R
08-08-10, 14:55
Some people have noted something of concern (at least to me).

The action/tactical bays are in the impact zone of the skeet range, and people have been getting peppered with "bird shot".

Not too sure Id put myself in that position....although small shot like 8 or 9 loses energy very fast you never know what type of loads people are going to be shooting off. Anything much heavier than that could really do some damage. I had noticed the seemingly "odd" layout of the range, and the directions people would be shooting but refrained from saying anything but now I know people are getting peppered with shot from the skeet range. Ive never seen a range where another part of the range is in the impact zone. I can imagine someone touching off a 3" #5 load or something like that, and having some bad results.

Although I know berms are safe at least half of the bays are facing towards the skeet range (vise versa) and the rifle range. Call me a ninny but Im not too hot on only having a berm between me, and people shooting rounds off at 3000FPS. Rounds do crazy things after hitting dirt and rocks. Just watch a machine gun shooting tracers at night, and you'll see that rounds ricochet in many directions.

Heres a quick drawing of the layout...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/d221f537.jpg

jsmithy
08-08-10, 18:25
Some people have noted something of concern (at least to me).

The action/tactical bays are in the impact zone of the skeet range, and people have been getting peppered with "bird shot".

Not too sure Id put myself in that position....although small shot like 8 or 9 loses energy very fast you never know what type of loads people are going to be shooting off. Anything much heavier than that could really do some damage. I had noticed the seemingly "odd" layout of the range, and the directions people would be shooting but refrained from saying anything but now I know people are getting peppered with shot from the skeet range. Ive never seen a range where another part of the range is in the impact zone. I can imagine someone touching off a 3" #5 load or something like that, and having some bad results.

Although I know berms are safe at least half of the bays are facing towards the skeet range (vise versa) and the rifle range. Call me a ninny but Im not too hot on only having a berm between me, and people shooting rounds off at 3000FPS. Rounds do crazy things after hitting dirt and rocks. Just watch a machine gun shooting tracers at night, and you'll see that rounds ricochet in many directions.

Heres a quick drawing of the layout...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/d221f537.jpg

Looks like the skeet shooting may be directed toward the word skeet in your drawing. Maybe they are trap ranges?

Belmont31R
08-09-10, 05:39
Looks like the skeet shooting may be directed toward the word skeet in your drawing. Maybe they are trap ranges?

Yeah I realized I made them back words.

They are shooting in the same general direction as the rifle range so when they are shooting to the left they are shooting over the rifle range, and into the bays.

I have no idea why they would layout the range like this. I had thought about when I was there (still have not shot here but been out twice). Now people are actually saying they have shot landing around them when using the bays. Ill probably refrain from shooting there until this is addressed.

ETA: If you go to TOS Texas forum there is the 13 page thread about the range there. On page 4 LaRue posted some aerial shots. You can see in the pic both the bays and part of the rifle range is downrange of the skeet fields. Id post the pic here but I guess that is a no no now.

Belmont31R
08-09-10, 20:53
FWIW I went out there today hoping it would be pretty empty, and I was the only shooter there half the time. A dad with his two sons were there for the first hour or so, and then I had the place to shoot to myself.

They setup a LaRue steel target at 250 for me, and I thought that was pretty cool. Ive shot steel before but not a LaRue. I had a lot of fun, and it was challenging with an RDS. My LaRue Stealth, and Mk12 was hitting 99% of the time......:)

To shoot past 250 you have to take some kind of test on the range but Im not sure when they do that or what it involves. Id definately like to shoot past 250 so Ill have to figure out what I need to do for that.

The cover over the firing line vibrates like a tuning fork when shooting. You have to pick up all your own brass. It took me like 20 minutes to do that. Most ranges like to keep it so they can sell it, and help offset some of the range costs. Just something to keep in mind. The benches are pretty nice. They do not have any type of rests there so you'll have to bring you own. I shot off my pack, and ended up blackening up a good section of it...lol

I didn't shoot in any of the action bays...didn't want any skeet shooters to show up, and hit me with pellets. A few people on other forums, as mentioned, have been hit with pellets from the skeet range so that is something that will hopefully be addressed. The rifle range under cover should be ok but you may get hit if you go down range. All I did was shoot steel today so I never left the firing line.

Belmont31R
08-13-10, 21:04
I went out there again today, and learned what the "test" is to shoot at 500, 750, and 1000 yards.

If you want to shoot at 500 you have to shoot a 6" or less 3 round group at 250.

If you want to shoot at 750 you have to shoot at 6" or less 3 round group at 500.

If you want to shoot at 1000 you have to shoot a 6" or less 3 round group at 750.

While 3 rounds is not a lot I doubt very many shooters have the capability and equipment to shoot a 6" group or less at 500 let alone 750 on command. If they are expecting their range to be a success, and set themselves apart from other ranges in the area they are not going to do so with the above limitations. While a 6" 3 shot group at 250 is easily doable with a decent gun, ammo, and shooter very few folks are going to be doing that at 500, and even less at 750. At 750 you are talking about a healthy sub MOA group, and that is with the wind that is always blowing pretty good out there.

It costs $16 for non-members for each SUB-RANGE. So if you want to shoot in the bays, and then shoot on the rifle range its $32 dollars. Most people will not be able to shoot past 500 so there are other places to do similar type of shooting for a lot less. I have been mainly going to Lone Star Gun Range down by Lockhart, and although its a bit of drive for me its far cheaper to shoot there. Its $65 per year with no daily range fee at all. You can shoot on any of their ranges. This Best of the West range is $100 per year + daily range fees for EACH range you use there.

So Id only say Best of the West is good for the long range stuff if you have the skill and tools to shoot to its potential. You also have to pick up all your own brass, and each time Ive went Ive had to spend an additional 15-20 minutes picking up my brass. Every range I have ever been to WANTS you to leave it there because they can sell it, and then it offsets the range costs. Im not too lazy but you are certainly paying a premium to shoot here, and I can shoot much cheaper elsewhere without having to crawl around on my hands and knees for 20 minutes getting my hands absolutely filthy from handing the spent brass. Call me a nancy but its a PITA after a few hours shooting in 100 degree heat.

If you can put up with some range nazis you can shoot at Eagle Peak for $10 per day (includes all ranges they have not just one), and you can shoot out to 300. They also supply sand bags to use. Ive never bought my own rest because, again, every range Ive gone to previously has had them to use in one form or another.

To top things off when I first got there I made sure no one was shooting skeet, and halfway through my shooting I start hearing "pull!". About 10 minutes later I hear "tink tink tink tink), and felt a pellet hit my forearm. It actually stung for a couple seconds. I was shooting off a bench when this happens. Their range was not laid out correctly, and if you use any of the bays or rifle range be prepared to get some lead shot headed your way.

So for now Ill continue to shoot where I was shooting before. I was really looking forward to this range opening up but its expensive, and unless you are an amazing shooter good luck shooting out to 750, and 1000 yards with their "test" before being able to do so. Im not aware of too many guys who can sit down, and on command put 3 rounds into 6" at 750 yards. Especially not with that wind that always blows out of the south around here. Someone had tied some engineering tape to a target at 500, and the thing was completely horizontal blowing in the wind every time I looked at it.

tampam4
08-13-10, 21:22
starting to sound like this range was a great idea, but poorly executed, and strangely run.

Belmont31R
08-13-10, 21:41
starting to sound like this range was a great idea, but poorly executed, and strangely run.

Yes indeed. Trap/skeet ranges need a wide birth because of the angles people are shooting at.

While I can understand them not wanting people sending arounds all over the place they are going to have few customers if they are expecting their business to be profitable based on people shooting 6" groups at 500, and 750 yards.

And its more expensive by a good margin than any other range around the area.

Too bad, really..

Belmont31R
08-18-10, 17:24
I guess the shot pellet issue is being addressed. How I don't know but they are working on a fix.

Also on 16OCT10 (Sat) LaRue Tactical will be hosting a range day: http://www.laruemedia.com/RangeDay/

5pins
08-19-10, 21:15
Also on 16OCT10 (Sat) LaRue Tactical will be hosting a range day: http://www.laruemedia.com/RangeDay/

This sounds like too much fun to miss.

adh
08-24-10, 19:18
This sounds like too much fun to miss.

2+ hour drive for me, but it may be worth it.

5pins
09-20-10, 14:10
Don’t forget to RSVP (http://www.laruemedia.com/RangeDay/RSVP.htm). Bring some money they are going to have a “trailer-full of LaRue products for sale”.

austinN4
09-22-10, 16:25
Belmont, thanks for posting this. I would not have known about it otherwise. I just RSVP'd and am looking forward to it. I am a member of ARC but I need to give this range a try. Thanks!